Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Which legitimate TCMA skillz are in danger of being lost because of MMA?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Since single leg, double legs, pull guard, and jump guard are pretty much the only throws used in cage fight, the throwing art skill will be lost because MMA.
    lol have you ever actually seen an MMA fight? the clinch, body lock, suplex are all used as are hip throws trips and reaps

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    lol have you ever actually seen an MMA fight? the clinch, body lock, suplex are all used as are hip throws trips and reaps
    I think you may have missed my post regarding this already
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    too low is even worse than too high.
    totally agree. a lot of mobility is lot when low for long even if strong.

going low is to move down, take weight, throw, go under, but in context to application in fighting, it's not something you move in on level or sit in on level.
    Takes too much energy.

Too high? You still have higher mobility regardless of what you may sacrifice to a shoot attempt or that ilk of techs.

in training to build strength and endurance, low is the way to go though.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Since single leg, double legs, pull guard, and jump guard are pretty much the only throws used in cage fight, the throwing art skill will be lost because MMA.
    I don't think throws will be lost. they are used often enough. Some real doozies too.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Footwork, defense and counterstriking will be the next victims.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I don't think throws will be lost. they are used often enough. Some real doozies too.
    Since you won't get much credit for your throw, people won't train the following skills:

1. throw that end with perfect balance,
    2. hit and run mobility,
    3. switch from one throw to another throw,
    4. perfect over head hard throw,
    5. counters for throw,
    6. resistence for throw,
    7. one against many,

You get "ground skill" but you will lose the above 7 skills in the long run.

For example, since the "pull guard" is much easier to train than the "leg lift", The most beautiful throw (also the most difficult to defense against) such as "leg lift" may be disappear from the future generation.

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/7...leglifting.jpg
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-24-2011 at 04:34 PM.

the skill of milking a student for years will be forever lost

such a tradegy

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

These are ridiculous claims. All of these skills are alive and well in the competitive judo, BJJ, and MMA circuit.

As for one against many.... TCMA should focus on establishing credibility on the 1 vs 1 level. Never mind one vs many. That's like worrying about driving on the freeway at 80mph on three wheels because one fell off..... it's a bad situation. Nothing will prepare you for it but how you deal with it will depend on your cumulative driving skill, experience and ability to act under pressure.

If anything, MMA has assured that we still have credible, extremely functionable empty handed methods.

What's the alternative? Tapped rings at the Ramada Inn for Forms 2 Form sparring?

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    in training to build strength and endurance, low is the way to go though.
    I don't mind momentary dips in stance for a particular technique - even stuff like iron broom; and especially stuff that's takedown related & reliant on dropping your hips.
    I don't mind doing squats - I love deep squats.
    I don't mind stable stances either - some knee bend, like a boxer with weight on the front leg.
    It's just when I hold a deep knee bend with weight for a long time, my knees really give me problems.
    So martial arts where you spend all your time in low stances are kind of out for me.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    the skill of milking a student for years will be forever lost

such a tradegy
    Milking a group of students for many years will keep this tradition alive. If they don't keep showing up, have other students belittle them. This I've seen. "Oh, you are no longer a Black Belt because you do not show up here."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    These are ridiculous claims. All of these skills are alive and well in the competitive judo, BJJ, and MMA circuit.
    Many BJJ guys also trained in one of my student's school to enhance their throwing skill. During the throwing skill training, my student found out that their "rooting (resist against throwing ability)" were very weak. After talked to them, my student then found out that they had no intention to resist against throwing. Their reason were, "Why should I resist against throwing? Ground is the place that I love to be there." It will take them much longer time to develop their "body vibration" ability to resist against throwing. On the other hand, those students who had no ground skill, they would fight as hard as they could not to go down.

Trying to rape a virgin is very difficult. Trying to rape a prostitute is much easier. If you are good in ground game, you may just lay down on the ground and wait for your opponent to come down and play your game. You don't want to resist against throwing and the reason is understandable.

Under the MMA rules, I just don't see anybody want to train skill like this in the future generation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KK4gBstnYs
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-24-2011 at 08:57 PM.

more like "Which legitimate TCMA skillz are in danger of being lost because of fire arms, pepper spray and taser"

Now I lose interested in learning weapon apart form straight sword coz it is totally sick.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    As for one against many.... TCMA should focus on establishing credibility on the 1 vs 1 level. Never mind one vs many.
    IMO, the

- 3 persons sparring that anybody can fight against anybody.
    - to dodge rocks throwing when stand in a pre-defined circle.
    - Take your opponent down and start to attack others (or just take off before the cops arrive).

are all valuable combat skills to have. Whether those kind of training can be preserved for the future generation (because the MMA ruleset) is something that we should all have concern.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-25-2011 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I think you may have missed my post regarding this already
    i did sorry should really read to the end of a thread before commentating

Since you won't get much credit for your throw, people won't train the following skills:

1. throw that end with perfect balance,
    2. hit and run mobility,
    3. switch from one throw to another throw,
    4. perfect over head hard throw,
    5. counters for throw,
    6. resistence for throw,
    7. one against many,
    In modern MMA, getting a throw or takedown often means winning the round. The level of wrestling in modern MMA is MUCH HIGHER than even a few years ago

Watch more recent stuff John

For example, since the "pull guard" is much easier to train than the "leg lift",
    I can't remember the last time anyone successfully pulled guard in MMA. I can also tell you that these days only guys who are getting killed even try it and they usually get crushed
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....