Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are TMAs mostly dead?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    i actually dont see mma as a trend, not in the least...all those other crazes wasnt generating the kind of $$ mma is..i think mma as a sport will supercede boxing eventually...not in the foreseeable future, but soon. and i think its going to be around for a very long time...and this is coming from someone who has practiced TMA his whole life and continue to do so...its just facts are facts money talks everything else takes a hike. and mma is gonna be a billion dollar business if it already isnt.
    Most open door TCMA schools are adding in more classes in sanda/sanshou, and shuai jiao, to keep up with the "trend." Otherwise, prospective students will simply go to the hack kempo school down the block, who is teaching bjj from a video...
    Nothing wrong with that, as it gets TCMAists to re-evaluate their teaching methods.

What bothers me is that there are TMA schools teaching Kisi and Krav Maga rather than looking within their own art to teach effective self-defense. I don't get that.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Sadly few Chinese stylists realize that CMA is tactical fighting; I have been stating this for years. It seems we only see competitive fighting as viable mean.

Judo is alive and well.
    Jiu-Jitsu is thriving.
    Thai Boxing has spread worldwide
    Hardcore karate still exists... it hasn't become all Paul Mitchell silver nunchucks in latin America.

Ba Gua and HSing-I are still really alive with my master... when he's gone, I don't know. That's why I tried to get on their a$$es. The blue print will be left behind. They have that potential.

Wing Chun is alive but should die. The most over rated system. The best of it is pretty much all on the big screen today.

Boxing is losing popularity but still very much alive. And worth keeping alive.
    Wrestling has always been and always will be.

MMA is growing fast. I hope it expands to bokens with shoulder pads/helmets.

Quote Originally Posted by andyhaas View Post
    Are TMA's mostly dead
    Have you been to every city in the USA or how about the world? Sometimes we see only the bright shiny stuff in front of and never see anything else.

Not every kung fu school has changed or watered down their systems. There are many garage or backyard schools that still teach traditional curriculums.

A lot of commercial schools are easily found (yellow pages / Internet etc). So many people go to these modern schools and learn forms. many of these new schools cater to the modern persons needs. Many modern people are not interested in fighting, sparring, shaui chiao, etc. All they want is some exercise and a little bit of self defense.

Sadly the people that want traditional training with fighting, sparring san da, san shou, shaui chiao etc etc, are under 10% of the entire MA world. We (the people who like fighting) are the minority. If you were to look at most all MMA, BJJ, Shuai Chiao, San Shou schools, first off is only 25% of these students like to fight or roll around. Only 5% will go to tournaments and of that 5%, less than 1% will go amateur or pro.

I don't care what kind of fighting school you go to, not everyone in your school likes to fight all the time. it is just a fact of our modern times.

If you take some time you can find a good traditional or fighting school to give you what you want. But don't go around saying TMA is dead cuz there are still many gems to be found out there hidden in the back yards or even in a strip mall!

ginosifu

We should take into account within the pugilistic world there have been numerous trends; for example, boxing has been king in the North America for over a hundred years; however, it always have been regulated to local sweaty gyms until the rises of white collar boxing which made it a viable commercial venture, e.g., LA Boxing.

After boxing is Greco-Roman/freestyle wrestling which has been nurture within academia. However, the first Asian art to take root in the North America was judo which again flourished within the local YMCA and small dojo within the major cities which was followed sixty years later by karate which due to our service men being station in Japan and Korea. However, it was until the “Kung Fu” crazy of the 70’s that karate dojo could be found in most community. Irony, it took gongfu/wushu shifu a while to profit on the crazy. However, the kung fu crazy only last until the next trend which was the ninja crazy. However, that one came and went quickly.

Therefore, MMA is another trend as a recreational activity; however, in due time it will it take the same route like boxing, judo, karate, and gongfu and be delegate to small gyms.

Ginosifu was very true in his statement the average person going to wuguan/mouh gwun isn’t interested in fighting…

When I took aikido for a few months, and judo as well, they structure their classes with applications first rather than forms, and there were few complaints or people quitting. If karate/TKD/CMA followed this approach, they probably wouldn't lose too many students.

Personally I don't think I'd take another MA that did forms first, just because I think I'd die of boredom. The last one I took, baguazhang, I spent about 4.5 years just doing forms before the instructor taught me a lot of apps, and that was ENOUGH of that for FOREVER, I think.

In short, I don't think it would be a problem for other MAs to follow a more MMA or aikido/judo type approach. It doesn't have to be a sparring try to apply the application in sparring type thing. It could be a drills/application type of thing.
    LOL! That is because both arts are practiced with a partner. Each individual technique IS a form in aikido and jujutsu. They look at "forms" differently. Except in Shotokan, which views a form similar to Chinese arts. And each control, lock, or throw is applicable for self-defense.

4.5 years before learning apps? My students start learning self-defense in about the first 4.5 minutes of their first class AND I emphasize forms.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 08-27-2011 at 06:20 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Tcma is dead

TCMA IS DEAD!!!

Ok, now that those of you who believe the above sentence have heard this, you can go away and let those of us who don't believe it get back to training and discussing things we can train.

TCMA has survived the karate craze of the 60s, the escrima craze of the 70s, the ninja craze of the 80s, the koryu craze of the 90s and the MMA fad currently going on and sputtering to a close.

We were training TCMA before them, we will continue training TCMA through the next fad that comes around.

So, run along sonny, nothing to see here. We are dead, all dead. Just festering corpses only made to smell sweeter by the scent of jow.

SHHHHHHHH, lie quietly till they go away and we can get back to business.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 08-27-2011 at 06:32 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    TCMA IS DEAD!!!

Ok, now that those of you who believe the above sentence have heard this, you can go away and let those of us who don't believe it get back to training and discussing things we can train.

TCMA has survived the karate craze of the 60s, the escrima craze of the 70s, the ninja craze of the 80s, the koryu craze of the 90s and the MMA fad currently going on and sputtering to a close.

We were training TCMA before them, we will continue training TCMA through the next fad that comes around.

So, run along sonny, nothing to see here. We are dead, all dead. Just festering corpses only made to smell sweeter by the scent of jow.

SHHHHHHHH, lie quietly till they go away and we can get back to business.
    More importantly, it survived the Qing Dynasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    Wing Chun is alive but should die. The most over rated system. The best of it is pretty much all on the big screen today.
    I would humbly correct you and say that GOOD Wing Chun should thrive, but as is the case with most other kung fu styles, the majority Wing Chun out there should die, because it is just an empty shell and one dimensional manifestation of this great, rich and profound style that is being taught to over 95% percent of the practitioners.

I guess whenever I start thinking, "I want to take a MA." I go out and look what's out there, get frustrated, come on here, and think, "Okay, this is what I want."

Like the baguazhang I took, if the instructor offered it with apps up front and I think we called it 'roushou' in aikido or judo, then that would be kindof ideal.

If there are 50 threads talking about the same thing, then maybe that's because there's a lot of people who want this. Not that the instructors will ever change, but hopefully if enough people ask / demand / walk away if they don't offer, then they will listen.
    If forms are a bore, stop doing them. The only "form" I do is for generating adrenalin/chi in the split-second, for developing and maintaining crucial balance, for dynamic flex exercise to keep musculature/nerve strength/limber, for coordination in stepping/motion, and to feel finely tuned (muscle memory/breath control). Otherwise, no need.
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 08-27-2011 at 07:13 PM.

If you can find it in the phonebook, you can bet that you are not getting much!.

The good one's don't advertize or take just anybody as a student.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    A MMA guy challenged a TCMA guy. The TCMA guy accepted. During the duel day, the MMA guy brought his 4 oz MMA gloves, the TCMA guy brought his 80 lb Guan Dao.
    LOL!!! Priceless!!!
    Richard A. Tolson

Anyway, I think the counter to this would be for traditional styles to work on applications more up front and sooner in their curriculum, rather than later. For example, rather than in a lot of schools waiting to learn karate 'bunkai' (applications for forms) at black belt level or above, teaching the applications right from the start. If enough students demand applications right away, the instructors will have to do it or lose business.

Since supposedly this waiting developed to weed out students with 'good' character vs. students with 'bad' character, just don't fall for the 'good' vs. 'bad' character arguments, and explain that you want to learn self defense right away. Of course, a lot of instructors will probably just show you the door, but then that's better than wasting years studying forms without applications and self defense skill.

If instructors develop a MMA approach to teaching TMAs, then it will probably save TMAs rather than them just falling into performance art with showy forms without any fighting or applications.
    I think you might want to write about this on an MMA forum friend. In order to understand traditional martial art (or any discipline requiring the time to put in the work) you'd probably have to actually put in the time and practice it. Bashing the practice, disciplines and doctrines of other styles simply shows a contributors lack of experience and manners. It is so easy to sit back and yammer on about the superiority of one style as opposed to another from the comfort of your home isnt it? So easy to cheer on the UFC from a sports bar with out putting in the work of a UFC champion?

If "MMA" is so superior (and we know with certainty that you personally represent the body of it's exponents LMAO) why do so many feel the need to talk trash over the net? It all plays out as a sign of massive insecurity.

This is such a pathetic subject regarding the supposed death of traditional Gung Fu.
    I'm sorry if you got your feelings hurt impatiently expecting to be a master in just a few short lessons

I hope one day when you look back with the wisdom of age, the belated realization of how you horribly shamed yourself here before all our members that you won't be too hard on yourself
    None the less you are entitled to your opinions.

I was at a competition today with martial artist from many styles interacting harmoniously.

No trash talk, no redicule, just a beautiful day doing what we love.

As you were....
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    TCMA IS DEAD!!!
    If TCMA is dead then why do I still get boxers, Judo guys, Sambo guys, BJJ guys, and wrestlers as my students. There must be something that our TCMA has that they want.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If TCMA is dead then why do I still get boxers, Judo guys, Sambo guys, BJJ guys, and wrestlers as my students. There must be something that our TCMA has that they want.
    you do shuai jiao

you do COMBAT shuai jiao

you're hardly the typical forms factory kung fu school
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....