Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 90 years old

When you lot make it past this guy's longevity with flexibility, strength, and clarity........

.............make sure to chime in.

He's 90. By default, he has already kicked almost everyone's ass here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    WOW!

That almost brought tears to my eyes. That video was not just about authentic kung fu, but also about decades of love, dedication and training. Thanks for posting.

PS. I bet this master could wipe the floor with any 70 year old glorified kickboxer.
    glorified kick boxer for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sKJP...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Lebaufist View Post
    When you lot make it past this guy's longevity with flexibility, strength, and clarity........

.............make sure to chime in.

He's 90. By default, he has already kicked almost everyone's ass here.
    +1!

Relatively few people even make it to 90, let alone like this man has. It's really easy for people to be critical, but one of my earliest jobs was working in a convalescent home, and most of the people in that home were considerably younger than 90, yet in far worse shape. Many couldn't even walk or have proper mental functions anymore.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-13-2011 at 09:32 AM.

The older I get...

...the more impressive elder masters are to me.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...the more impressive elder masters are to me.
    especially as I am stretching out some lower back pain and wondering what the hell happened to my tornado kick!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I clocked myself on the temple with my spear last night

Fortunately, no one saw as I was practicing by myself prior to class. It was this silly showboat move - totally impractical - and I lost control of the spear. It bounced off the floor back into my head really hard. I was like "seriously?" Man, after over 40 years of practice....
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Fortunately, no one saw as I was practicing by myself prior to class. It was this silly showboat move - totally impractical - and I lost control of the spear. It bounced off the floor back into my head really hard. I was like "seriously?" Man, after over 40 years of practice....
    LOL

Seriously... how do you hit yourself in the head with a spear? That's a special skill in itself.

yes I broke my practice weapons all the time.

so I have to practice with replacements such as bamboo stick or foam staff etc.

they are not the same as the real weapons.

I only save good "weapons" for performance only.

1 spear or staff is considered the father/general of all weapons.

2 swordplay either dao or jian is considered the mother/minister of all weapons.

we may practice both well into old ages.

the 1 will help overall balance and posture

the 2 will help wrist and arm/shoulder etc

--

but maybe with lighter substitutes as we grow old.

--

weight lifting

low horse squatting

walking

swimming

also help our health over all as we age

---

I haven't dropped a long weapon in some time whilst practicing...so *continues to cross fingers*

When I was learning to use staff I would constantly whack myself on the shins on single hand change retention practice.

then I learned the physics of it.

still dropped it intermittently.

I would probably not forgive myself if I was showing someone how and whacked myself. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

When I was in highschool, I was messing around with my buddy's nunchaku - and I smacked myself in the head. Hurt like a mutha-

Man he had a good laugh and told everybody. So I feel for ya Gene (at least no one saw you). I put a hole in my ceiling with a jian... smacked myself in the leg with a dao... but haven't hit myself with any long weapons - yet.

I was always more adept with sword.

I attribute this to starting extremely early in life due to my fathers interest in sharing fencing with me.

I am smitten with head/tail staff techniques though. Freaking awesome weapon.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I know, right?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    LOL

Seriously... how do you hit yourself in the head with a spear? That's a special skill in itself.
    I practice this Songshan Shaolin spear form now that I learned from Shi Yantuo. I learned a more traditional version from Shi Decheng many years ago, but have completely forgotten it. Yantuo's version has this rather silly move where you spin your spear in a basic one-armed flower, then let it go so it rolls over your shoulder and around your neck, then you grab it again and commit to another spin. It's pure flash - no possible practical application I can imagine whatsoever - but it's kind of fun when you don't hit yourself in the head. Last night, I dusted off my old spear and brought it to class. I've had that spear for 3 decades now. I still remember the day I bought it as it was one of my first weapons and I was so pleased. It's a little long for me and when I did the spin, it caught on the floor, bounced back and smacked me in the head. Ow. Talk about your wake-up call. My temple still hurts.

Anyway, it was a classic example of the old guy making an old mistake. I'm easily the oldest person on the floor at my school, by a decade plus for most of the adult students, by two or three (!) decades for most of the others. So, when I see some dude is busting out a form like that at 90 - RESPECT!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm reminded of this man in Taiwan I would see from time to time, must have been in his 70s, and he could still do "chao tian deng" (sp?), standing on one leg and lifting the other so the sole of his foot is straight up, leg against the side of his body. I think he was a former Peking/Beijing opera performer; he could also still do simple handsprings/somersaults at the time. And he seemed like the happiest guy; he walked with a lively gait, and he always had a great smile on his face. Kudos to him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I'm reminded of this man in Taiwan I would see from time to time, must have been in his 70s, and he could still do "chao tian deng" (sp?), standing on one leg and lifting the other so the sole of his foot is straight up, leg against the side of his body. I think he was a former Peking/Beijing opera performer; he could also still do simple handsprings/somersaults at the time. And he seemed like the happiest guy; he walked with a lively gait, and he always had a great smile on his face. Kudos to him.
    This is a good example that if you have developed certain ability, to maintain it through your old age will not be that difficult. On the other hand, to develop a new ability in your old age may be difficult. The question is what kind of ability that's worthwhile to maintain? To be able to do "chao tian deng" in old age is good. But is it absolute necessary?

If you used to be able to do "30 tornado kicks non-stop", to maintain such ability is not easy. Is it worthwhile your training time to maintain such ability? Both "chao tian deng" and "continuous tornado kicks" have little value in combat. Do you maintain your ability for "health only" reason or for "combat" reason?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-13-2011 at 10:51 PM.

who will need to fight at 90? i just want to be able to wipe my own a.ss and maybe pinch those of a few nurses...