Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I put up some vids for ya all

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    That's too far out for me - just my preference I guess. I don't like to chase at that range and I hate reaching - so I'll close in tight for all my mantis.
    Too far for us as well. But for training purposes, we make the student start at a range disadvantage to force him to develop explosive closing ability. Then he has to be all up in the other guy's face with body to body contact. But that's not shown on this sequence.

My confidence is higher at short range - where I can dictate the pace and motion of the fight. At that longer range - I feel it's too 50/50 where luck and speed become the dominating factor over skill and I'm neither lucky or overly fast.
    Well, that's normal. But I also think you can be a lot faster than you realize.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Here is the "front cut" that I'm talking about. You can still use your right hand to punch your opponent's face if you want to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7fuYdj-WxQ
    Sure. That's the idea of the 2 handed grab in Mantis. And there are classical applications where the right hand does strike after the grab.

But we distinguish that method from au lou choi in that the former has greater emphasis on the control and unbalancing aspect, and the latter has more on the speed and strike aspect.

It's a matter of keeping clear distinction between the various methods so as to develop each strength or advantage to its maximum potential.

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    And this is why the Northern Mantis Forum ROCKS:
    We'll have to fix that.

Lolz

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Here is the "front cut" that I'm talking about. You can still use your right hand to punch your opponent's face if you want to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7fuYdj-WxQ
    I believe this is "White Ape Invites Guest". The downward double grab/jerk to uproot is different in principle from the gou lou choi.

M.

messing around with the flip cam after a good Judo / Grappling work out and decided to share some 7 Star Praying Mantis Kung Fu.

Diu Sau / Ou Lou Choi - my take on it.

Ou Lou Choi "Patty Cake" Warm-Up Drill

Belt Wheel Take Down - easy and fun for anybody regardless of style.

So the last one's not Mantis - but it's still cool.
    The backfist to gou-lou-choi works well with defensive opponents. What are your options when the opponent blocks the backhand then throws the reverse?

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    OK, I see your point on that.

I guess my question is, Does the cai consist of a jerking action of the lou shou, or a combined jerking action of the gou shou and lou shou?

If I were using the method you describe for grappling, I see its superiority. I just question whether there would be a loss of speed in getting in a punch with the pluck if both hands are locked on the opponent's arm.
    Gou lou cai = extends the arm at shoulder level
    Bai Yuan Chu Dong = plucks the arm by hyper-extending the elbow (not by plucking down)

In regards to plucking in gou lou cai:

can but not always the case. When you do, using gou and lou in conjunction divides the effort of straightening the opponents arm while maintaining tactile awareness.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dasargo View Post
    Gou lou cai = extends the arm at shoulder level
    Bai Yuan Chu Dong = plucks the arm by hyper-extending the elbow (not by plucking down)

In regards to plucking in gou lou cai:

can but not always the case. When you do, using gou and lou in conjunction divides the effort of straightening the opponents arm while maintaining tactile awareness.

M.
    Mike,
    Yeah I understand the concepts. I was asking John how he saw the cai related to how he was describing his use-age of White Ape Invites Guest".
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dasargo View Post
    The backfist to gou-lou-choi works well with defensive opponents. What are your options when the opponent blocks the backhand then throws the reverse?
    Actually that's almost the topic of my next vid - something that I call the "rolling nut shot". Poetic isn't it? One day I'll be a children's book author.

I was going to shoot it yesterday at the other club I practice at, but I was just too wiped after working out. I won't be able to work out with a group again until Thursday, but I'll be sure to bring the flipcam because the world needs to see the magic of the "rolling nut shot".

The Rolling Nut Shot.

Have fun kids

Hehehe, very nice B! I was expecting something a bit different on the Rolling Nut Shot, but that was cool. Don't think I've seen Sifu do that one (of course you never see him actually doing any of these movement, you just FEEL them)

The Happy Slap is awesome. I hate the high gwa zhou block because that often sets up the Happy Slap knocking the block higher and then as Sifu would say, "same hand use twice", whack slap on my forehead leaving a nice ring indentation. Hahah, yeah. Good stuff.

The Rolling Nut Shot.

Have fun kids
    Nice technique!
    But if that is how you impress girls, you must be single. LOL!
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!