Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Useless Wing Chun Techniques?

another , a competition clip

no wonder guys have these opinions.... Joe Rogan

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Do you feel some techniques, forms or training drills are useless in Wing Chun in the modern day?
    Not really! There is nothing useless in Wing Chun itself, it's useless individuals that give the system a bad reputation!!

I do see my own weaknesses and strengths and I think it's every Martial Artists responsibility to address that how best they can.

I also agree with Joy, we have no 'collection' of techniques really. I have only found these among the sansau interprestations most schools teach (1 step sparring type drills) and it is quite easy to see where these sansau originates fme.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

This kind of training needs to be thrown out. Nothing is going on. It is a safe way to not get hit and to look good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ui6rj58DA0

Quote Originally Posted by RWilson View Post
    This kind of training needs to be thrown out. Nothing is going on. It is a safe way to not get hit and to look good.

The same routine is done in a different clip, rehearsed.!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RWilson View Post

----------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RW-you are trolling all over the place.
    Troll- your ignorance is showing. It is a moving chi sao demo. Not rehearsed. Reflexive. You can't rehearse and repeat exactly the same things.Chi sao is for development- it is not fighting. That was a requested demo at a national multi style kung fu meet...in Florida
    When not doing it as demo- it helps you work on hand structure, body structure, balance, distance control, timing and quite a few other aspects of development. Different styles have different developmental tools...various kinds of chi sao, tui shao. pummelling etc.

If you don't like it- dont do it- simple.
    When our PB advocates on thi forum show their stuff- I am professional and just watch though it's not my cup of tea.

Goota go and do justice to today's turkey-an awful meat but duty calls. Cheers.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ----------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When not doing it as demo- it helps you work on hand structure, body structure, balance, distance control, timing and quite a few other aspects of development. Different styles have different developmental tools...various kinds of chi sao, tui shao. pummelling etc.

If

joy chaudhuri
    And all of this is supposed to help in fighting right? So why not put up clips of the finished product instead of putting up clips of training for the finished product?

All this chi saoing should atleast help in sparring...right? So let us see the so called benefits of chi sao in sparring clips...instead of more chi sao.

From eBay :

Copyright 1985 by Austin Goh

Printed by PALADIN PRESS

Between Excellent And*Very Good*Condition

*Slightly Bent Corners on Cover

"The Secret Of Wing Chun Butterfly Knives Form"*

by Austin Goh

This is*A Book On The Art, Form And Uses of Wing Chun Butterfly Knives.

Sifu Austin Goh

*Is Considered The Foremost Master Regarding

Wing Chun Butterfly Knives.

A Must If You Are*Learning The Art.

Good Luck And Thank You For Looking

ONLY SELL IN THE CONTINENTIAL U.S.*

Do you feel some techniques, forms or training drills are useless in Wing Chun in the modern day?

If so what are they?
    I used to think that there was perhaps some stuff that needed to be discarded but now I think a little differently.

Wing Chun is a Kung-Fu system - therefore I believe that it has a lot of stuff. I don't think anything in the system is useless, however it should be stripped down to the essentials. I still train all the other stuff because a lot of the 'extras' are situational.

There have been times in the Chi Sau or sparring when something from a form or a drill has 'popped out' and surprised me - and made me grateful for spending the time still training the little things while concentrating mostly on the major things.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

whatever

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Some of us have already ....; ) its more than just meeting and chi-saoing
    Its understanding the underlying ideas being developed....
    i wasnt talking about chi sao....but, whatever
    sincerly, eddie

Quote Originally Posted by deejaye72 View Post
    i wasnt talking about chi sao....but, whatever
    What did you mean ?

Well thats not what i meant concerning WC sifus who cant fight nor teach proper techniques for real fighting. What i mean is techniques that are outdated which were design to fight Hung Ga or Tai chi guy of the day...but not the boxer or Muay Thai guy today?
    Check out Duncans Leungs school located at Virginia Beach, VA. Muay Thai and boxing is much welcome :-D
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post
    I used to think that there was perhaps some stuff that needed to be discarded but now I think a little differently.

Wing Chun is a Kung-Fu system - therefore I believe that it has a lot of stuff. I don't think anything in the system is useless, however it should be stripped down to the essentials. I still train all the other stuff because a lot of the 'extras' are situational.

There have been times in the Chi Sau or sparring when something from a form or a drill has 'popped out' and surprised me - and made me grateful for spending the time still training the little things while concentrating mostly on the major things.
    Great post,
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by nasmedicine View Post
    Check out Duncans Leungs school located at Virginia Beach, VA. Muay Thai and boxing is much welcome :-D
    Sikung Duncan Leung used the long bridge, wing chun techniques applied in the long distance, not just fight in the short bridge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrUnlBIAdsc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=LmC5zTScHY4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQbTD...eature=related

If so what are they?
    I think Wing Chun is probably about as simple (uncomplicated) as a martial art can be.