Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your solution if you are a striker?

b!tchslap them and follow thru with a head butt...

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    You teach class in the park in front of your students. Someone challenges you. You accept the challenge. If you are a

- "grappler", you take your opponent down and force him to tap out. You both get back up, shake hands and leave. Nobody gets hurt.
    - "striker", you punch on your opponent's face and knock him down. Either he comes back with a gun and shot you, or his lawyer will call you next day.

If you are a "striker", what will be your best solution to hander a "public challenger"?
    First of all, who would be teaching in a public park setting? The term, striker, sounds wierd. And if you can not take down a challenger without having to beat him down says you don't need to be out there anyway. Simply because of the type of people it would draw, you would be challenged sooner or later.
    Jackie Lee

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    The term, striker, sounds wierd.
    If you have any takedown skill, you don't have to depend on your punch or kick to deal with a challenger. The outcome can be more "civilized".

Question

First of all, who would be teaching in a public park setting?
    Teach in a public park? I do, every Wednesday and Saturday. Helps keep my costs down so I don't have to charge much... My WT Sifu taught us in hotel rooms and private homes. He however charged a lot!!! My current Escrima teacher teaches in a park, my kid's karate teacher teaches at a park, even my first Escrima teacher, GM Rene Latosa used to teach at a park... is this really so uncommon? Some of the best teachers I know use parks, garages, and backyards!

Oh, as to the OP... I've never had a problem with a challenge like that... you just keep an eye on things and you can avoid problems. And that's important, since we train weapons in Escrima and someone could get killed. At the park Escrima class I attend as a student, the instructor and several of the other students always carry firearms and knives under their sweats. It seems kind of over-the-top to me. But in Arizona, anybody can carry open or concealed any time, no permit. I don't mind. Chances are way worse that you'll die in a car accident than getting shot. And challenges... just don't take them.
    Last edited by Grumblegeezer; 11-24-2011 at 08:19 PM.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    we train weapons ...
    That's very helpful. When you hold a 50 lb Guan Dao in your hands, nobody wants to challenge you.

Or,

If you are the short tempered type, you can say:

"Get the FUKK away from me before I KILL YA, you filthy CLOT!!"

Sometimes it is psychological aggression that will take the fight out of someone.

mickey

Blog Entries
    Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    First of all, who would be teaching in a public park setting?
    I teach sometimes in a public park setting. I love it. Right in the middle of Golden Gate Park. We get lots of attention too from people from all over the world.

I also studied Latosa Escrima....
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

First of all, who would be teaching in a public park setting? The term, striker, sounds wierd. And if you can not take down a challenger without having to beat him down says you don't need to be out there anyway. Simply because of the type of people it would draw, you would be challenged sooner or later.
    My teacher taught in a public park. My sihing and I both teach in a public park.

One thing... a challenger is not an attacker.

Had a lot of weird as well as normal people show up. No problems yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

This is easy. Just say:

"That kind of silliness in done only in the movies, man. We usually call the police when people like that show up. Now, should we call the police for ya?"

mickey
    I like this one!

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Or,

If you are the short tempered type, you can say:

"Get the FUKK away from me before I KILL YA, you filthy CLOT!!"

Sometimes it is psychological aggression that will take the fight out of someone.

mickey
    Or "GET AWAY FROM ME BEFORE I HURT ME SOME MORE!!!!!!!"
    __________________________________________________ _______

What I would say is, "The last guy to challenge me wet his pants and ended up in the hospital with a concussion and I spent 2 days in jail! I am not interested in spending 2 days in jail again!"....true story!
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 11-25-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries

No_Know Squirrel Thought

Touch of the fingertip pointing, or the palm resting on the facial cheek, nosebridge or eyes areaside of head, ears, throat. Know person might not be as nice in touching you...'swhy I went to deflections and diminishing force/accuracy/velocity.

Set game-kills such as first solid contact to _,___,__, areas ends/wins the challenge. Or Take a hit then humbly claim that you yield-person won. For any students that stay explain yield to idotcy for it to pass as opposed to being an idiot-getting trapped

Squirrel think: Benefits

You win what? They claim you're a teacher of course you win. No Gain

They win, you get humbled, accept it. Humiliated-don't make it worse accept the loss move-on. You get a deformed face for decades or something working no longer works as good. Person wasn't better and you're broken...

The factors involved in an actual fight include Mess-you-over-couldn't'o've-figured-it-happening-that-you-could-prevent-it. Greatest chance of not getting slammed by Oh-you-think-you-all-that, is No Fight. You get jumped or sneaked, then your chances sway to reacting to that attack, but might not demand attacking.

Only address each attack. Attacking A f t e r getting attacked is you being the aggressor. This is Kung-Fu folks, Humility is involved. We're talking centuries if not eons of culture. Currentish Natural Human response is attack. Something with four thousand years of trial and error and observation says let it go...perhaps let it go. If you don't understand, you are not there yet. Get that there might be more to All-That-Is' combinations and permutations than you might innitially comprehend.

Some might think...whichever, whatever-whatever.

No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Anyone who would walk into a Martial Arts school, or public setting, and issue a challenge (and justifies it, or sees absolutely nothing wrong about this) is suffering from some form of mental illness*, is committing a crime, and should be dealt with accordingly, whether by self-defense or by having him locked up. Period.

*stupidity should also be illegal
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If you have any takedown skill, you don't have to depend on your punch or kick to deal with a challenger. The outcome can be more "civilized".
    And this really is the core of Johns OP and his point, grappling does give us the option to diffuse.end and altercation under far more controlled circumstances than striking.
    For something like that to happen in an "all striking" environment the skill level would have to be very, very disproportionate.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

allow only roshambo contests and practice your iron crotch daily.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

If you are going to try to use Squirrel Fu, you might as well try the Spock Pinch first!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    And this really is the core of Johns OP and his point, grappling does give us the option to diffuse.end and altercation under far more controlled circumstances than striking.
    For something like that to happen in an "all striking" environment the skill level would have to be very, very disproportionate.
    It may be too late to apply your grappling skiill if your opponent starts to attack you like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1dh_...layer_embedded