View Poll Results: Which cheapens the reputation of martial arts more?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stage tricks like bending spears on the throat and blaming it on mystic qi power

8 36.36%
  • Those "extreme" competitions where people scream at the top of their lungs & use toothpick bo staffs

2 9.09%
  • That form sparring stuff where you get points for looking like your style, not for winning

6 27.27%
  • "too deadly for the ring" or instructors who are "too deadly to spar with their students"

6 27.27%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Which of these cheapens the reputation of martial arts more?

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I would not take lessons in how to fight from a Judo teacher.

I would take lessons in Judo.

From those, I would incorporate the throws into how I fight.

Judo isn't really much of a fighting art. It has nothing to deal with being kicked, punched, attacked with a weapon etc. It's been degraded down to a pretty fast sport.

I guess if you went back 100 years, it could be useful in that context, but nowadays? It's pretty harmless.
    Your lack of faith in the deadly Judo Chop is disturbing
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I would not take lessons in how to fight from a Judo teacher.

I would take lessons in Judo.

From those, I would incorporate the throws into how I fight.

Judo isn't really much of a fighting art. It has nothing to deal with being kicked, punched, attacked with a weapon etc. It's been degraded down to a pretty fast sport.

I guess if you went back 100 years, it could be useful in that context, but nowadays? It's pretty harmless.
    So I guess judo people do not cross train? Of course they do. A judo man would make short work of you in a sparring match especially if you cannot fall and roll.

Quote Originally Posted by RWilson View Post
    So I guess judo people do not cross train? Of course they do. A judo man would make short work of you in a sparring match especially if you cannot fall and roll.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    The troll has spoken~~

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Your lack of faith in the deadly Judo Chop is disturbing
    SR: You have miss spelled it. It is now called a "Judi Chop". Also not to be confused with the Karati Chop or the Ninji Chop. Watch here to get it right"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSrigvOX1AE

ginosifu

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    The troll has spoken~~
    And the guy who only does chi sao has spoken. It must suck to think you are learning the "most efficient style" and not be able to spar with it. Run back to the wc forum.

i think its both. my judo teacher even says if you want just self defense go learn boxing or something like that. now personal experience tells me that the skill set you aquire in judo definately is applicable to self defense situations, more so if its a cross trained skill set that you combine with some form of striking art.

if someone only learns judo, and has to fight someone of an aquivelant skill in judo, but also has a striking background, the guy that can strike will destroy the judo man simply because he can pretty much strike him at will.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    i think its both. my judo teacher even says if you want just self defense go learn boxing or something like that. now personal experience tells me that the skill set you aquire in judo definately is applicable to self defense situations, more so if its a cross trained skill set that you combine with some form of striking art.

if someone only learns judo, and has to fight someone of an aquivelant skill in judo, but also has a striking background, the guy that can strike will destroy the judo man simply because he can pretty much strike him at will.
    Agreed.

I would also add that if you have been studying a form based tcma, have no wrestling experience, and are in the same weight category as the judo guy, you will get tossed around like you are nothing.

Judo is a sport. Literally. It's a sport. You are thinking of the combat version of judo, and it isn't called judo.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Agreed.

I would also add that if you have been studying a form based tcma, have no wrestling experience, and are in the same weight category as the judo guy, you will get tossed around like you are nothing.
    What is this form-based TCMA you keep talking about? Forms are a part of many TCMAs, but they are never BASED off of forms. In fact, to make a real assessment like that, you'd be more accurate in saying Painful-Don't-Understand-Why-I-Am-Doing-This-Terribly-Difficult-Chore Strength and Endurance - Based TCMA.

Typically, you start with strength and conditioning long before you even touch a form.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Judo is a sport. Literally. It's a sport. You are thinking of the combat version of judo, and it isn't called judo.
    Lol. By calling it a sport you are seeking to negate the self defense aspects of it. Judo will make you have better skills for a fight than all the eagle claw chinna on the planet.

Have you heard the story of when Jigoro Kano had his "sport" judo guys spar the old school, too deadly to spar, jujitsu guys? The jujitsu guys got beaten swiftly. One of the great things about judo is the randori(sparring) at the end of each class. You think wc chi sao drills are better than judo randori?

Too much forms practice and not enough conditioning/sparring. Thy is the form based tcma I am always referring to.

Lol. By calling it a sport you are seeking to negate the self defense aspects of it. Judo will make you have better skills for a fight than all the eagle claw chinna on the planet.

Have you heard the story of when Jigoro Kano had his "sport" judo guys spar the old school, too deadly to spar, jujitsu guys? The jujitsu guys got beaten swiftly. One of the great things about judo is the randori(sparring) at the end of each class. You think wc chi sao drills are better than judo randori?

Too much forms practice and not enough conditioning/sparring. Thy is the form based tcma I am always referring to.
    Who doesn't do conditioning or sparring? Nine star blocking is nothing BUT forearm conditioning. What school doesn't do sparring?

And yes, I am calling Judo a sport, because IT IS CLASSIFIED AS A SPORT. I'm not seeking ****. It's a god **** sport.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Who doesn't do conditioning or sparring? Nine star blocking is nothing BUT forearm conditioning. What school doesn't do sparring?

And yes, I am calling Judo a sport, because IT IS CLASSIFIED AS A SPORT. I'm not seeking ****. It's a god **** sport.

Do you think the chi huggers in that ba gua video spar? Probably not. It is technically classified as a sport. So what? Does not make it any less martial than a style not classified as sport. Stop getting hung up on textbook definitions.

Do you think the chi huggers in that ba gua video spar? Probably not. It is technically classified as a sport. So what? Does not make it any less martial than a style not classified as sport. Stop getting hung up on textbook definitions.
    I've done judo before. It is VERY much a sport. You are obviously biased, and that makes much of what you say already suspect, as they are leading questions. And now you are backpedaling... now you concede it IS a sport.

I'm going to take it a step further... Judo is NOT meant for combat. It never was. It wasn't even designed to be. Do your research.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

I've done judo before. It is VERY much a sport. You are obviously biased, and that makes much of what you say already suspect, as they are leading questions. And now you are backpedaling... now you concede it IS a sport.

I'm going to take it a step further... Judo is NOT meant for combat. It never was. It wasn't even designed to be. Do your research.

I am not backpedaling. Any winds blowing over 70 or so mph is classified as a hurricane. A low t-cell count is classified as HIV. The classifications are manmade and unimportant. The fact that they train more uncooperative than other schools makes them a more combat oriented style than say...too deadly to spar classical jujitsu.

Randori allows for smart spontaneous reactions which are very important for a fight. Doing push ups and visualizing multiple opponents while doing kata just does not compare. Kano invented it to make the bodies of Japanese people stronger because they were not getting enough exercise. The by product of such training is better reactions. Try thinking out of the box instead of reading textbook definitions.

Wing chun is classified as a fighting style and look at the crao they do. ClassIfications mean nothing.