Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: TCMA or MMA?

I sometimes don't understand what the arguments are really about, since they are the same arguments as in previous posts... the continuous beating of a dead horse will not change anyone's mind.

There is validity to everyone's point of view. I have done TCMA for most of my life but my approach has always been to cross train in as many arts possible, go to seminars on different arts, exchange ideas with fellow martial artists that practice different arts... what better way to understand what one particular style does than to experience it first hand.

Adding grappling, wrestling, submission training to your routine only enhances your skills... apply what you know and you have the upper hand. E.G. grapple and apply Chin Na joint locks, use pressure points, etc. to better manipulate your opponent.

Absorb what you find useful and modify it to your fighting style. If something works it works... might as well add it to your arsenal.

I think the main issue is that TMAs are viewed as stagnate nowadays by the modern sport combatants because they want to achieve results in a shorter period of time, which is understandable... why would you want to practice 7 years to gain the primary fighting skills, that you can become proficient in, in a shorter amount of time?

However, with the traditional training you also gain a better understanding of techniques, principles of movement, and their variables.

So, they should walk together...

"So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
    If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
    If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.- Sun Tzu (The Art of War)"
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

Wow..... straight punching.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina View Post
    Wow..... straight punching.
    right??????
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post
    MMA's biggest advantage isn't in their techniques, it is in their training methods.
    no. its in the mind. man.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    no. its in the mind. man.
    Which came first the chicken or the egg? I would say that it is the training methods that give the proper mindset to most people. Some people have it already, but many don't.

Even in a TMA, it is the training that will bring out that mindset if done properly to instill it. The McDojo will not bring out that type of mindset if you don't know how to tap into it already.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post
    Which came first the chicken or the egg?
    I believe it's been determined that the egg came first (sort of).

Just being a smartass.

Back on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Fa Xing View Post
    I believe it's been determined that the egg came first (sort of).

Just being a smartass.

Back on topic.
    naw, clearly it was the chicken.!

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    naw, clearly it was the chicken.!
    LOL, unfortunately single-cell comes before multi-cell (to oversimplify the matter, lol).

eggs came about after mutations of multi celled beings caused it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    eggs came about after mutations of multi celled beings caused it.
    this is my point.

there is no chicken egg without the chicken.

i suppose you could argue that the beast that chickens evolved from laid eggs. lol

feeling dizzy yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    this is my point.

there is no chicken egg without the chicken.

i suppose you could argue that the beast that chickens evolved from laid eggs. lol

feeling dizzy yet?
    They did, they're called dinosaurs, but that's not the point.

It would in a very, very, very, very, very oversimplified way be the egg that came first because of that two haploid cells come together to form a diploid cell.

The "egg" is representative of the single-celled organism that started it all, which in hypothesis is the result of good ol' fashion biochemistry, a reaction between organic elements.

reptiles lay eggs, reptiles predate chickens, therefore the egg came first.

pfft!
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

The egg came first.

At some point something that wasn't quite a chicken laid an egg that had a mutation and a chicken came from that egg.

If the chicken came first, that means that there were first chickens who had babies in a way other than from eggs and then one day one chicken laid an egg and that chicken survived and all the other chickens died and therefore only the egg-laying genetics were passed on. It seems more likely that the egg came first.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Reptiles are traditional. Chickens are modern, but got their eggs from reptiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    reptiles lay eggs, reptiles predate chickens, therefore the egg came first.

pfft!
    yeah but was it a chicken egg?

to be a chicken egg does it have to contain a chicken or be made by one?

and saying chickens came from "dinosaurs". now that, my friend, is an oversimplification.