Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Omei Bak Mei - Yum Yeung Jik Bo Kuen DVD

Faruq,

I totally understand what you mean, and I personally think that all of it is ridiculous and convenient at the same time. Brief story, while traveling in Changsha, I met some people with the Du surname. Since Du speaks Cantonese with a Changshanese accent, I talked to these people briefly and asked if they had any relatives that practiced Gong Fu. They didn't know of any. I talked to some of their relatives as well, and the didn't know any. Nothing big. I also searched for information on him in Huizhou. Clcs hometown. Nothing. Whampoa military college, lor far mountain, also nothing, and not much at all about CLC, but everyone knows about him... But all of that means nothing. Trying to track someone down in China, especially if they don't want to be tracked down, is near futile. His name in mandarin is Du Wei, and the Wei he uses is a name that people are not even named hardly at all anymore.

I don't know his story aside from the common sense I can place of his time in America. I did find it interesting asking about various people in China. A person would need a whole lot of time to really fin out the sure truths about all of these individuals, especially ones who passed.

Yao Sing,

I was just curious. I have heard a lot of stories about a lot of masters. Your Sifu told the dim mak story on a tv show, secret of the warriors power, so I was just curious. Nothing more than wondering what the truth is. Some of those other stories I heard from others. Big M, never told stories though.

I know that question wasn't directed at me, but Jik Bo Kuen is a training and development form IMO. It is there to train the FCTT for proper body mechanics, like Sam Bo Gin, but in a different manner altogether. Nothing really big I guess in the end of it all, lead hand, rear, lead hand, rear. Or cross. It is a great form for understanding how the body will float and sink, swallow and spit over time. Done slowly and relaxed, it really opens the body up. In depth, it has a lot going on with it, including Iron Body because of the dip gwat gung, the spinal movement, and fascia stuff going on with it. I dont like to train it much anymore because it makes my elbow numb with the big right not hitting anything...Cheers.

Tao
    Last edited by TAO YIN; 12-29-2011 at 11:26 PM.

Big M likes to stay low key. If you talk to him ask about when we were building the roof on the side of the Temple and the rafter swung loose and almost hit MC. Skill comes out under pressure. Poor Andy though, not quite as fast or agile.

TF got caught with a Dim Mak finger once when he angered MC according to my KF brother who was there when it happened. I got there late that day.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by TAO YIN View Post
    Faruq,

I totally understand what you mean, and I personally think that all of it is ridiculous and convenient at the same time. Brief story, while traveling in Changsha, I met some people with the Du surname. Since Du speaks Cantonese with a Changshanese accent, I talked to these people briefly and asked if they had any relatives that practiced Gong Fu. They didn't know of any. I talked to some of their relatives as well, and the didn't know any. Nothing big. I also searched for information on him in Huizhou. Clcs hometown. Nothing. Whampoa military college, lor far mountain, also nothing, and not much at all about CLC, but everyone knows about him... But all of that means nothing. Trying to track someone down in China, especially if they don't want to be tracked down, is near futile. His name in mandarin is Du Wei, and the Wei he uses is a name that people are not even named hardly at all anymore.

I don't know his story aside from the common sense I can place of his time in America. I did find it interesting asking about various people in China. A person would need a whole lot of time to really fin out the sure truths about all of these individuals, especially ones who passed.

...Cheers.

Tao
    Yeah, especially since it wouldn't be hard to change your name, create a new identity and buy corroborating identity documents before applying for asylum in the U.S. back in the 60's or whenever he came.

[QUOTE=Yao Sing;1150755]Are you familiar with the material? Can you give us your impression if/when you get the DVD?

Southern short hand styles are totally foreign to me. That power generation looks cool and all but doesn't look practical in a live situation.[QUOTE]

Yeah, I will if I receive it. But you can tell already how I feel about Garry Hearfield's knowledge and products already from my posts.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Quote Originally Posted by TAO YIN View Post
    Faruq,
    ...His name in mandarin is Du Wei, and the Wei he uses is a name that people are not even named hardly at all anymore...
    Tao
    Have people already forgotten that this is the same person that, if I recall correctly, claimed to be able to make insects and rodents come back to life after having their heads taken off on youtube, and showed "chi/qi" by rubbing his fingers together and making smoke come off them like that old magic trick? This isn't stuff I heard about, I have seen the videos before LOL.

As in all things, I suppose its simply a case of buyer beware.
    -Golden Arms-

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    Have people already forgotten that this is the same person that, if I recall correctly, claimed to be able to make insects and rodents come back to life after having their heads taken off on youtube, and showed "chi/qi" by rubbing his fingers together and making smoke come off them like that old magic trick? This isn't stuff I heard about, I have seen the videos before LOL.

As in all things, I suppose its simply a case of buyer beware.
    Yeah, it's that "let me pull one over on someone, and make a couple grand at the same time" kind of Asian gangster mentality with Doo. But not just Asian, drug cartels rip people off and kill them all the time too if they're not high connected. Garry can fight and I'm interested in the hand techniques, the hei gung and other stuff is of no interest to me. Plus, I've never seen Garry Hearfield make such a claim Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    Yeah, it's that "let me pull one over on someone, and make a couple grand at the same time" kind of Asian gangster mentality with Doo. But not just Asian, drug cartels rip people off and kill them all the time too if they're not high connected. Garry can fight and I'm interested in the hand techniques, the hei gung and other stuff is of no interest to me. Plus, I've never seen Garry Hearfield make such a claim Arms.
    Having trained some in the past with someone that was well connected in that aspect of the Chinese community, that was not my experience. They are concerned with protocol, respect due, not losing face, and how money flows (and all the good and bad that goes along with that).

The videos I described above come from a dishonest, con-man mentality if I had to label it, and I have no respect for it personally. As for the DVD's and all that, never seen them, never met the guy, and I will stay out of that aspect of the discussion.
    Last edited by Golden Arms; 12-30-2011 at 01:16 PM.
    -Golden Arms-

Well I still stand by my opinion that covering technical info and descriptions with music is a caveat. He could be describing total nonsense for all we know.

So that's a -1.

If it's intended as an entry level offering I then I guess I missed it but I'm really over the old "someone throws a punch so you block like this then punch back like this" material. Been done to death, doesn't take much skill or knowledge. Most people do that much on their own these days, don't need to fork over hard earned bucks for it.

That's another -1.

I mentioned the power generation, looks cool no info on applying it real world without the telegraphing shown in the video. Maybe it's just a power development exercise, don't know, music cover the explanation.

-1 again.

Holding someone in high esteem that is a suspected fraud with little to no evidence available proving he's worth high esteem therefore linking yourself to all his baggage is a big red flag.

I'd give that one a -2.

If he's as good as the claims he won't be sweating the negatives but if he wants to sell DVDs he better pay attention to the feedback.

Carry on.

Edit: Did you see the Baji apps demo on the main forum? That got me (and others) interested. This DVD not at all.
    Last edited by Yao Sing; 12-30-2011 at 01:50 PM.

Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Yeah, what are you really gonna learn from a demo DVD of an arts concepts and training methods. Just a demo. You'd have to go train with the guy or have him come to you to really learn. I think the people that purchase it probably do so for comparison or out of interest as fans of martial arts.

Golden Arms,

You are right about that bit for sure. Bat sheet craziness IMO. I have nothing to say about all of that. I am only interested in the practical applications and health development, no matter the art. You are the cat, and you got my tongue on that one.

Yao Sing,

I totally see your point about the music being left out. He isn't talking about the block punch basic stuff you are talking about. He is explaining how the Bak Mei body works from the beginning.

He isn't going fast in the promo, he does show it fast in the DVD though. At first, if a person goes fast, they will totally lose the Bak Mei body. Anyone can go fast, not telegraph, and come up with good combos and that with a little practice. That is totally not the point here though because the power generation and body needs to be there to really make the art come alive.

What you mention as telegraphing, becomes faster and faster and tighter and tighter (all while retaining softness and flexibility) as a student progresses. For the art to be extremely effective, this Bak Mei body has to be in and of itself at a higher level. Top half like a dragon, bottom half like a tiger. Machine gun attacking every which way one can. When attacking, take in the biggest breath you can, and go off a hundred different ways all at once, while slowly letting your breath out and relaxing while paying attention to what you are doing simply through feel rather than thought...and retaining cotton belly and all of the other ingredients, all at the same time.

This is all easy for me to write, and like I said, it is easy to go fast. It is a whole different thing to go fast with Bak Mei body welded to it. It simply has to be developed a certain way.

It's minutely like this...when you do E-bay, as you call it, what are you really doing? What is your spine doing, your hips, knees, teeth, neck, etc... What is your mind, heart, spirit, doing? What is happening geometrically with regards to physical movement?

As far as the rest of it with Doo Wai and that, I personally am just over this idea of guilty by association. These are two different people living in two different countries.

Sifu Garry isn't some mindless robot follower. He simply respects the art of it all, and believes that it is worth preserving. At least he will preserve it right.

I don't know why I get a little frustrated with this guilty by association. I guess it's my American Indian and English ancestry. I am so mad at the one for losing, but so happy with the other for winning...How guilty.

Cheers,

Tao
    Last edited by TAO YIN; 12-31-2011 at 01:34 AM.

There's a saying "It's not who you know but who your seen with". Like it or not, who you associate with has a lot more influence on how you're perceived than most people like. That's your public personna. I don't like it either but that's just the way it is, it's just a part of being human I guess.

Oh, and I had a bit of trouble trying to figure out a guy with a Yau Kung Mun background teaching Bak Mei and giving props to the GM of Bak Fu Pai (giving the impression that's his teacher maybe???).

I'm a bit leary of stuf like that, just like the schools that will teach whatever style you want to learn.
    Last edited by Yao Sing; 12-31-2011 at 01:04 PM.

Yao Sing,

I was New Yearsing it a bit...

I have made my comments on Doo Wai and his public-ness. Nothing much more to say.

As far as the other, what Sifu Garry is doing is no different than many teachers who teach Xing Yi, Tai Chi, and Bagua together, for example.

He sees the bigger picture as far as "Bak Mei Type Arts," for lack of a much better name...is concerned. The few arts that he teaches all relate to each other in some way, all enhance each other, and are all useful. That is it.

He is trying to make it better for himself, to enhance the all of it, not only for himself but also his students. Whether the arts needed enhancing or not is insignificant. Evolution occurs, whether it needs to or not.

Cheers,

Tao

By the way, I am not really sure what Yang Tai Chi, Mok Gar, and Wah Lum have in common. Would you mind telling me? Thanks.
    Last edited by TAO YIN; 01-01-2012 at 09:27 PM.

Well, it looks like a solid beginning DVD in his art.

Tao Yin

Mok Gar was Master Chan's family style. It's not really incorporated into Wah Lum but there is one set that's taught. As far as the Yang style Tai Chi it's commonly offered in KF schools to appeal to the older folks or the people who don't go for the hard core arts. MC has never (that I know of) claimed any lineage or Masters expertise other than knowing enough to teach it. I've seen him chase away a Tai Chi class because the Kung Fu guys needed the area to practice so you can see his priorities (apoligies to the Tai Chi guys). I know to open a school and teach Wah Lum I had to learn Tai Chi so I could offer that instruction as well. It's required for Wah Lum teachers.

I can see what you mean by "Bak Mei Type Arts," as all the southern short-hand styles seem the same to me. It doesn't seem right to me though that expertise in one would qualify you to teach the others. Hence my question about the styles associated with this DVD. If I'm wrong just tell me. It sounded like praise for his teacher, Doo Wai (who teaches Bak Fu Pai), that would make him a Bak Fy Pai stylist, and I saw a reference (not sure where now) to him learning Yau Kung Mun so of course I wondered how he could be teaching Bak Mei.

I suspect you really don't want to drag on with this and you have made your opinion clear so you really don't need to reply.

Edit: If we're comparing my teacher to yours I don't know exactly where MC leaned the Tai Chi he teaches and like I said Mok Gar was his family style. Wah Lum was handed to him since he was the youngest student of LKS. All his older kf brothers (basically uncles since LKS was brought in to teach the extended family, and village in general (MC's father was the village "mayor"), plus offer protection) passed to him what they learned so he would have all of it.

So then how does a YKM guy teach BM and why dedicate a BM DVD to a BFP master? Sorry if I'm touching a nerve that's best kept secret.
    Last edited by Yao Sing; 01-02-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Yao Sing,
    As has been explained before in this thread
    The external sets of Yau Kung Mun are Bak Mei sets excluding our Ying Ching set. Our Great Grand Master Ha Hon Hung was a disciple of CLC before branching out on his own. We have our Internal Art which is the true Yau Kung Mun.

That is what would qualify my Sifu to teach Bak Mei.

Thanks

Yao Sing,

Hi. The reason that I terribly named it "Bak Mei Type Arts," is because Sifu Garry's main focus is and has been on these arts. The founder of Yau Kung Mun, Ha Hon Hung, was Cheung Lai Chen's (Bak Mei Sijo) disciple. Even Ha's first school was called something like Pearl River Bak Mei Gung Fu Association. They had a split.

YKM has the Bak Mei material inside its curriculum. Sifu Garry learned this. He also learned other Bak Mei in Hong Kong and Guangzhou. And he studied Bak Mei from Doo and Bak Fu Pai. All of these things are so closely related, both historically and physically...Sifu Garry is simply looking for every single piece of the puzzle. So on the vid he is giving credit to Wai Sifu because he is teaching his Bak Mei on that particular video.

I don't think that this is much different than some of your Si Hing who have studied every other style of NPM that they could get their hands on. It's no different than Dragon people who study Bak Mei and vice versa, or Hung Gar people who study Southern Praying Mantis or vice versa...

I am not comparing anyone. I know enough about Master Chan's abilities. I even asked him about Doo Wai before believe it or not. One morning there, I did a Bak Fu moving meditation while warming up. Chan Sifu didn't like that and neither did Tu Sifu, and man if I didn't get the picture quickly...Later we did Yang Tai Chi though...to be 18 again.
    Last edited by TAO YIN; 01-02-2012 at 11:25 PM.