Thread: Wing Chun Qi Gong

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Joy, I don't doubt it and respect your POV. Certainly the opening sequence and slow movements at the start require discipline over the breathing, which has some crossover with qigong.

From my view the principal aim of the first section of SLT is to drill and enforce correct structure. IMO to try to make one set of movements do too many things is counterproductive.

I still occasionally practise standing post, some "Taoist yoga" exercises I learned while training in IMA, and some breathing drills from Russian MA. I dabble in Astanga as well, though mainly for promotion of flexibility and mobility rather than any qigong-type benefits. Maintenance of joint mobility is important for us more mature practitioners in my view.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Andrew :I was referring to our opening (pre first section)which is different from TWC and WT opening of the stance.There is closing and opening, before the tan.wu.fuk sequence
    Standing post is good.
    The ygkym can be used for chigung if the chest is opened up properly with appropriate hand positioning..
    yoga pranayama(not just the asanas which help with flexibility)... also good.

joy

PS Oklahoma State just beat Stanford in OT!! American BCS football.
    Last edited by Vajramusti; 01-02-2012 at 10:31 PM.