Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Personally, i dont get the whole "allowed to carry a gun" thing. Im in Australia where its illegal, and nobody does, and our national homicide rate is around 60-80 a year

It works and i dont see an argument against it
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glenn- I agree but the National Rifle Association is one of the most powerful lobbyists on the planet.
And, American gun culture is very deeply embedded. In Arizona where I live- the Colt .45
is part of the state's symbols including flowers etc.

In my neighborhood for over 26 years I know of no one who has had to use a gun against a criminal- but my teenaged lawn mowing guy was shot to death by a class mate with easy access to guns -a 100 yards from my house. An estranged girl friend was shot to death by her ex friend
50 yards from my house..he then shot himself a 100 yards from my house.And in Tucson where I used to live Congresswoman Gabby Gifford was shot and very badly injured by an unbalanced individual with easy access to guns.The gunman killed and injured several other people at the scene.

But- then as I quote ( in a manuscript) the late Rafael Sabbatini's famous opening lines in his adventure novel Scaramouche.. "he was born witha gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad"!!