Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sil Lim Tau Applications?

im simply insulted you because you sir do the some of similiar things when you speak condescending...so i got silly and insulted you back thats...all...

Really i doubt if you have much to share outside your normal rethoric and insults!

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Do you really expect me to answer your questions? You can't really be this stupid. If you are going to act like a beggar asking people to teach you about WCK on a forum, you shouldn't also bite the hands that feed you in the same breath.

This is going no where. The fact that you use silly words like dummy and dumb dumb speaks volumes about your maturity level. Utill you can stop acting like a little baby playing on mommy's computer when she goes out for groceries, I'm done sharing with you.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Sil Lim Tao Applications ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Applications to Sil Lim Tau

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcuJQ...der&playnext=1

From Looking at the form can you glean any fighting applications from it?

If So what are they?
    What you are showing are the forms for that particular WC system . I want to see the applications to that particular SLT form .
    The form is what you showed already , but it seems to be identical to the Ip Man lineage . The applications are techniques that you display on an assistant or student then I can see how the movements in the form are being used for fighting or self defense . Are you confused between forms and applications ?

Just like any other kung fu system right ? They all have sets and each set has a certain number of movements and for each moves theres an application to it , or usages to the moves . It ' s the usages of the applications you want to know , because it ' s the technique that you ' re going to use in a fight or self defense situations .

Anybody can learn the form , but it ' s also good to know the applications too . The sifu talk in chinese how about translation of what he ' s saying , into english .
    Just like any other martial arts video the sifu does the form first then he has someone to demo the applications of the form on . So you have an idea of what each moves is for ? Just like if a sifu was teaching you a kung fu form and you ' re learning the moves , the question you have in mind is what are these moves use
    for right ? So you ask the sifu then he shows you so you understand , samething what I ' m talking to you about .

There are three parts in WCK, namely, frame type, momentum type, and internal development.

Frame type is for develop basic movements for application. Ie tan sau. momentum type is for develop basic momentum in fighting. Ie Step forward press in disrupt center line, internal development is for developing the mind and body mechanics. Ie the six bows , the snake engine.

So, what do one practice when one does slt? Obviously, slt is mostly for frame type and internal development, not much for momentum type. In ck and bj, the frame type and momentum type are focus. In wooden dummy, it is mainly momentum type.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    There are three parts in WCK, namely, frame type, momentum type, and internal development.
    This may be true for your specific learning Hendrik, but this will not be the same for everyone imho.

As an example, the Siu Lim Tao I learnt has six sets, commonly divided into 3 sections. And these sets were/are actively trained in 5 distinctive areas by myself under strict guidance of my Sifu and peers. Just from this experience alone, I can safely say that we will have totally different approaches to the 'training' of SLT itself, not just the mimicking of a form, but the training of each of the 6 sets I mentioned earlier.

You may be interested to know that each set trains a specific power generation, or 'bow' as you like to use these days. But this skill is gained from taking each set through 5 areas of practise.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    This may be true for your specific learning Hendrik, but this will not be the same for everyone imho.

As an example, the Siu Lim Tao I learnt has six sets, commonly divided into 3 sections. And these sets were/are actively trained in 5 distinctive areas by myself under strict guidance of my Sifu and peers. Just from this experience alone, I can safely say that we will have totally different approaches to the 'training' of SLT itself, not just the mimicking of a form, but the training of each of the 6 sets I mentioned earlier.

You may be interested to know that each set trains a specific power generation, or 'bow' as you like to use these days. But this skill is gained from taking each set through 5 areas of practise.

The three parts presenting a holistic tcma content. One certainly can categorize differently as how they fit .
    Last edited by Hendrik; 02-14-2012 at 06:56 AM.

Very good analogy hendrik I agree....

SLT is done in a static posture or still stance where as chum Kiu deals with advancing forward into your opponent. and the mook yan jong deals with stepping to flanks of your opponent an going into him to disrupt his structure. Bil Gee does in fact include waist rotation or turning structure to fight but has less forward momentum than the MYJ and CK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post

Frame type is for develop basic movements for application. Ie tan sau. momentum type is for develop basic momentum in fighting. Ie Step forward press in disrupt center line, internal development is for developing the mind and body mechanics. Ie the six bows , the snake engine.

So, what do one practice when one does slt? Obviously, slt is mostly for frame type and internal development, not much for momentum type. In ck and bj, the frame type and momentum type are focus. In wooden dummy, it is mainly momentum type.

How do you feel your post disagrees with what hendrik is saying?

What are the five areas of practice?

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post

The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

How do you feel your post disagrees with what hendrik is saying?
    It's not that I disagree, it's that Hendrik has obviously learnt in a different manner than most (even having a specific kuit for SLT is RARE!) and I think he is actually referring to the age old three treasures of Sun, Jing, Hei (Shen, Jing, Chi) as they too can be represented through 'frame, momentum, internal'.

What I am implying is that although this may be a good method of assessment, I have learnt another.

What are the five areas of practice?
    I have discussed the areas before so will find the thread for you...

Here it is http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/...ad.php?t=59087

The Construct of Wing Chun (from my learning!)

1. Form
    2. Equipment
    3. Interaction
    4. Weaponry
    5. Study

And after just reading good old Terences first response I can honestly say that the forum has moved on since then!! Or has it?? lol!
    Last edited by LoneTiger108; 02-14-2012 at 10:21 AM.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

If you're on Facebook...

Ok. So here's my latest clip released on Facebook where I show Siu Lim Tao as it is with double palm work, instead of the standard single arm approach. Also holding a larger stance on the Plum Flower posts.

It's an experimental clip, but was something that we all went through in the mid-stages of learning SLT. So, if you're on my friends list, enjoy!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...50667908474532

Sorry it's not the 'applying' level yet, but you may get a better understanding of what I went through from seeing this, and I would be very interested to hear of anyone else who has been 'taught' this method.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

thanks for sharing good stuff