Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Chum Kiu

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    You...doubter !
    You see. I always knew we had more in common that you would like to admit
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Jack Kontou, He combined bodybuilding and VT , he won his weight class for bodybuilding...he walked up to me as I was eating one night at Wong Ki and I didnt recognize him he had cut down so much....
    He worked hard to look like the photo....
    Last edited by k gledhill; 02-11-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Jack Kontou, He combined bodybuilding and VT , he won his weight class for bodybuilding...he walked up to me as I was eating one night at Wong Ki and I didnt recognize him he had cut down so much....
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I don't think that he is holding the bot jam do correctly for practice. If actually used he would get a thumb cut off.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I don't think that he is holding the bot jam do correctly for practice. If actually used he would get a thumb cut off.

joy chaudhuri
    No you're right, he was just 'posing' as muscle men do and flipping them in other shots.

As did many of Sifu Kans earlier generations didn't they? They were a very tight unit.

And as for the blade 'flipping' comments by both of you, I really thought we would have all passed that stick in the mud by now... some lineages connected to Ip Man do turn the blades as his sons do so look at the photo as being 'in transition', so his thumbs are not in harms way at all...
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    As did many of Sifu Kans earlier generations didn't they? They were a very tight unit.

And as for the blade 'flipping' comments by both of you, I really thought we would have all passed that stick in the mud by now... some lineages connected to Ip Man do turn the blades as his sons do so look at the photo as being 'in transition', so his thumbs are not in harms way at all...
    -------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Both of you"(sic?)Lone Tiger? I made no commnet on flipping thoigh I don't flip.
    Good body building shot- not a good wc shot.Kev was clear.

joy

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    -------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Both of you"(sic?)Lone Tiger?
    Ah! See your point Joy. Sorry for the ambush, but I'm having a testing day!!
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post

To us, flipping is a show thing, the cross guard/quillon, cant be too long or you will 'bind' them easily and often as you rotate them to parry.
    Ironically if you do use long guard/quillon knives, they will force you to open up the unbroken line you are seeking to create in some movements.

To us, flipping is a show thing, the cross guard/quillon, cant be too long or you will 'bind' them easily and often as you rotate them to parry.
    Not from my experience, but I see your point and obviously you are of the PB view so your 'ear' of the knife is very minimal isn't it? Did I see a picture once here?

FWIW I never use the term 'flip' because it reminds me of juggling or something. I rotate the blade to my forearm when in close quarters, especially against a long pole where strong barring is needed. When done correctly you never point the tip to yourself unless you have a death wish!

And here we are again, somehow connecting to the thread.

Lansau as a method IS used with sleeve knife
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

No sinking elbow with reversed knife hopefully. Ouch!

The distances we gain from NOT flipping are in our favor. Why go to arm length when you have just doubled your reach.
    Knives are long range hit and run.

Knives are long range hit and run.
    Woah! You interpret our knives as a long range weapon??? Now we're on opposite sides of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    No sinking elbow with reversed knife hopefully. Ouch!
    Actually, yes. There 'should' be virtually nothing you do with your empty hand that does not have a similar method with the knife. Slight distance adjustments are needed of course but chum jarng is no different.

Y'know it's as if you guys think a trained knife man will be sloppy, innaccurate or clueless! Our knives are a speciality of the whole system. The cream on the cake and all that. Something treasured. Don't you agree?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by EternalSpring View Post
    Wait, what.

You dont think that Chain punching and utilizing low kicks to harass would be considered utilizing techniques of Ving Tsun?

And technically, and I know not everyone will agree on this, but at least in my understanding I'd say that the chong choi/cycle punch can still use other energies within it. Ex: Jut
    Yes I do agree with you...but Chain punching and low level front kick is not the be all to end all of WC. Im simply pointing out some people do not utilize the other techniques of WC and complain about having gloves on. If you have mma gloves or kempo gloves you can very well do a pak da, jut da, bong sau and even gan sau and kwun sau.

The key is to practice the techniques with gloves on and with gloves off. An do them in sparring with gloves on and gloves off. So you can get used to the difference of energy.

Case In Point: If your main stand up art is WC and you getting ready for a MMA or Cage Fight. When you spar or train WC drills why can't you practice them with the gloves on.
    The energy is different. But you can still do the same techniques. You need to adapt.

Let me digress. I totally agree with you when it comes to Chain Punching and Stop Kicks. But Those two techniques are not even 1/100th of the system. Its a very small part to entire art. Why not atleast 10% to 25% of the techniques in WC let alone 50% of hand to hand defense techniques?

In my opinion I think if people actually practiced with the gloves on sometime and sparred with gloves on and sparred with more than just kicking and punching their WC would be more adaptable.

you are more than confused....your assumptions and armchair theory are amusing.
    lol thank you very much kev.
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Something to be treasured I can agree with. The Lun Gai Foshan Wing Chun had knife flipping but I was not convinced by the demo one of my instructors gave vs. the pole. i.e. a flip in mid-engagement whilst the other knife detained the pole.

How do you use the knives Spencer? What dictates the use of the reversed knife other than your opponent getting too close? Why can't you just punch with the knife guard if that happens?

Re: Gloves

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Case In Point: If your main stand up art is WC and you getting ready for a MMA or Cage Fight. When you spar or train WC drills why can't you practice them with the gloves on.
    The energy is different. But you can still do the same techniques. You need to adapt.
    People who seldom or never have worked against resisting opponents in an unrestricted movement setting tend to develop viewpoints about gloves such that they think they change the game, no longer a realistic fight, it messes up their WC, etc. They are deluded.

Gloves are there so you can learn to hit harder and learn to fight while being hit harder. If you can't ko someone or hit hard enough to end a fight with gloves there is nothing magical that is going to make you be able to do it without gloves in a street scenario.

But people basically slap box and/or compliant chi sau with little to no strikes and think that will adequately prepare them for a real fight. Hint. It won't. If you are in a real fight against someone who has prepared for it by hitting hard and being hit hard, then you're not going to be prepared.