Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Buk Sing and Lee Koon Hung

To lighten the mood and give us a laugh.

Blog Entries
    To lighten the mood and give us a laugh.
    eh, i'm still emotional right now. losing my boy was a shocker. i need to laugh tho. its been a rough morning.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Sorry for your loss.

I bet somewhere in your lineage someone was inspired by Tam Sams contributions
    Our lin wan chop choi was developed independantly by To Hon Cheong based on his own personal experiences. It's different from the buk sing lin wan but it is still continous chop chois with some panther fists. Thats why I say if someone sees panther fists or continuous chop chois they shouldnt automatically assume buk sing influence because it might have been developed independent from that influence. All the tools are contained in the system, it is up to the individual to extract and develop the tools as they see fit.

Like I said I am not trying to take anything away from the buks sing lineage with my comments. I just believe that all choy lay fut is based on the 10 elements/seeds and that a few minor differences aside we all have access to the same tool bag so to speak.

in my comments "YOU DON'T THINK........." I was saying YOU DON'T THINK it is but others do. I just didn't finish my sentence. that is why there were so many "......" I assumed he'd get my drift. I wasn't saying or inferring that he wasn't thinking in the least. just saying its him that doesn't think "BLAH BLAH BLAH"....... i was referring to WHAT he was thinking and NOT to the lack of his thinking.
    Then I misunderstood, no disrespect taken

I might not be thinking clearly cause i'm still affected by waking up to some news that a friend mine died last night.
    sorry to hear about your friend
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

SD:

Some of the combos in that Lien Wan form you have are quite similar to the combos we have in a form called Fu Pow Kuen. Who really knows who influenced who but back in the day everyone seemed to exchange stuff freely amongst each other.

In the end its all CLF with whatever word or character one chooses to put in front of it.

Blog Entries
    Like I said I am not trying to take anything away from the buks sing lineage with my comments. I just believe that all choy lay fut is based on the 10 elements/seeds and that a few minor differences aside we all have access to the same tool bag so to speak.
    i totally agree with what you're saying. there's alot in hung sing that buk sing claims as well. regardless.....its popular today and thats all that matters.

I think each branch has likely "borrowed" from the other.

Some of the combos in that Lien Wan form you have are quite similar to the combos we have in a form called Fu Pow Kuen.
    Doesn't suprise me at all. Some of the forms between our schools are almost identical. He made the form out of lin wan chop choi combined some other sequences taken from some of the other forms

Funny until seeing you do some of their stuff I never saw too many similarities. I had seen sifu Sam perform a few times along with Phil but nothing stood out as being the same just appeared to me as CLF. I saw a list of forms he had in his curriculum and some had the same names and other different ones.

Yeah but the some of the ones with the same name are different and some of the ones with diferent names are the same

Personally I think too many people read way too much into choreography. Anyone with a good understanding of their style should be able to create/modify sets as needed.

As much as peeps like say Form X is done this way with this fist or that stance the reality is it should conform to your way or, if teaching, be suited to the student.

All these variations that people try to hang on to just bloats the entire system at the risk of overshadowing the more important core material.

Just my opinion.

Edit: Signature moves to identify your branch are fine but even that can get out of hand as styles spread.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

HSK, condolences. Our prayers are with you today, brother.

SLD, I agree. The Charp Choy existed long before Tarm Sarm, or even Choy Lay Fut, for that matter; perhaps (and most likely) going back centuries into Shaolin history. I do believe, however, that the Charp Choy emphasis as seen in the Lee Koon Hung line is indicative of a strong Buk Sing influence due to the close association that has existed between these two lines throughout the years. Evidence would suggest that Buk Sing has even borrowed from the Lee Koon Hung line through these same associations, but I digress...

TenTigers: Yeah, just who do you think you are, anyway?

Blog Entries
    I do believe, however, that the Charp Choy emphasis as seen in the Lee Koon Hung line is indicative of a strong Buk Sing influence due to the close association that has existed between these two lines throughout the years
    Thanks CFM.

I don't want to sound repetitive here, but Lee Koon Hung had strong ties with Hung Sing as well. Many of the Hung Sing elders that knew him told me he was really a DIE HARD HUNG SING guy at heart. Neither here nor there but he got respect from all sides.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    Lee Koon Hung had strong ties with Hung Sing as well. Many of the Hung Sing elders that knew him told me he was really a DIE HARD HUNG SING guy at heart. Neither here nor there but he got respect from all sides.
    Absolutely agreed.
    In fact, considering that Buk Sing evolved from Hung Sing, and further considering Lee Koon Hung's association with Hung Sing, the Hung Sing influence is undeniably strong throughout both lines.

Man, this is good, good stuff right here, I don't care who you are

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindynasty View Post
    Our lin wan chop choi was developed independantly by To Hon Cheong based on his own personal experiences. It's different from the buk sing lin wan but it is still continous chop chois with some panther fists.
    out of curiosity and for my own edification/edumacation, how are they different?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.