Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: hard and soft explained

The problem here is internal/external describe relationships between two phenomena and are not absolute states of the being.

No action, state, condition, or phenomenon is ever 100% hard or soft. They are hard or soft only in relationship to something else.

i just told you what the true meaning of soft is. your muscles are literally, physically soft and relaxed during a technique.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i just told you what the true meaning of soft is. your muscles are literally, physically soft and relaxed during a technique.
    Yeah, but no one listens to you!

The muscles MAY be described as such to help understand that importance of NOT overly tensing the muscles BUT NO movement happens in the body without muscular tension/activity.
    The moment the muscles works it is either lengthening or shortening and always present is a "tension" of sorts.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

im not an idiots man, of course i know what you mean.

im just quoting a qing dynasty boxing manual on the definition of soft and hard, since the white folks like to pretend its a mystery.

im not an idiots man, of course i know what you mean.

im just quoting a qing dynasty boxing manual on the definition of soft and hard, since the white folks like to pretend its a mystery.
    LOL !
    Well, what we have to understand is that boxing manual did NOT say things in a literal and concrete manner.
    As I am sure you know.
    If people want to believe otherwise, that is their problem.

this one was written in 1900 with modern beijing dialect. it gave a lot of clear explanations for late chinese martial arts. it was very literal and concrete on what hard and soft means.

i know people want to believe otherwise. i just wanted to annoy them.
    Last edited by bawang; 04-10-2012 at 11:08 AM.

this one was written in 1900 with modern beijing dialect. it gave a lot of clear explanations for late chinese martial arts. it was very literal and concrete on what hard and soft means.

i know people want to believe otherwise. i just wanted to annoy them.
    Well, IF the description of soft was literal and concrete then the writer has no clue about how muscles work and biomechanics.
    your muscles are literally, physically soft and relaxed during a technique.
    It is impossible for a muscle to be "soft and relaxed" during a movement.
    It can be more soft and relaxed then doing a movement in a way that requires the muscles to me MORE tense, BUT the moment a muscle moves it is no longer "soft and relaxed".

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    The problem here is internal/external describe relationships between two phenomena and are not absolute states of the being.

No action, state, condition, or phenomenon is ever 100% hard or soft. They are hard or soft only in relationship to something else.
    Yes. Thinking a little about these terms 'hard/soft' 'internal/external,' I realize I'm really not concerned with (and maybe don't believe in) far-reaching 'true' definitions of these terms.

What I'm concerned with is the functionality of these terms--How are they used in a particular circumstance to help someone (myself included) refine his/her technique?

For me the terms are used in a teaching context, to clarify something. If they don't help clarify, then it's not an appropriate time to be using them. Words are just tools to pick up and put down as needed.

Blog Entries
    In the striking art, you can talk about soft and relax. In the grappling art, since you have to deal with your opponent's body weight, you have to use some force. Can we just say that for those who loves to talk about "soft" are just "striker"?

What does "soft" mean when you are on the horse back, wear heavy armor, and fight in battle field?

Greetings,

Still, both actions are hard.

mickey

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries

Grapple Softness by No_Know

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    In the striking art, you can talk about soft and relax. In the grappling art, since you have to deal with your opponent's body weight, you have to use some force. Can we just say that for those who loves to talk about "soft" are just "striker"?

What does "soft" mean when you are on the horse back, wear heavy armor, and fight in battle field?
    Grapplers seem to less-tensen to slip a pre-lock--reducing opponent leverage and gaining a timing advantage. Also just before an aggressive move is an instance of tenseness drop--its as if the were ging forward in a 2-D shooter with floating obstacles. The actions they want to do don't require 100% strength, but 100% at a certain Level of Strength and they drop tension to just below what is needed then engage muscle-type stuff to act-leveling-up the tension from below to an expected effective setting.

No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Lets be clear about one things guys, grapplers USE force, they just use it very economically.
    There is a reason the typical grappler is muscular and why there are weight divisions in grappling competitions.

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Wrapping mystical BS around something as simple as punching someone in the

face is for people who like to talk about martial arts.

Hard and soft are topics for rumination etc.
    They have no value when you are in the soup.

Concepts? no. hard is hard, soft is soft.

all fighters should be relaxed and mobile. period. If you aren't relaxed and maintaining mobility,

you're gonna lose your fight probably.

such esoterica is losing it's place rapidly. there are much clearer explanations and there is no need to

visit a table that holds no nourishment.
    Nourishment is not visible and one cannot know food one does not know its analysis.

No_Know

Simple as punching...Occular receptors note objects. The threat database registers a face as flagged for aggression. The recall database brings-up: you felt-up his girlfriend at the tailgate party in public and laid him out on his as..the asphault. Survival instinct engages body systems to assess and address potential attack to self. Metatarsals are locked to rotate above the ankles to start potential walking inertia. Knees bend to advance the turn-initiative. Thighs open. Left metatarsals are disengaged. The hip engages the thigh to activate the knee to reposition the left foot. Weight shift calculated to move foot and torque to reposition torso while maintaining balance. Left foot repositioned ready for right foot repostioning--heel lift. Knee bend. Hip flexing the thigh. Turn outward. Loosen thigh. Extend knee. Place right heel.

Threat evaluation: Elevated. Target rushing. Accellerate! body positioning and stabalization. Coordinate with layout of incomming aggressor. Establish predictive assessment of priortized attack-type potentials. Review subject's performance data. cross-index with current to near future likely environmental conditions and influences[correct for variable allowances]. Redistribute internal pressures as needed. Anticipate likely target's given particular attack types: synchronize and track. Bolster defense of critical systems in those areas. Establish redundancy protocals compesating for motor function decreases and other system efficiency functioning deceleration below accetable momentary requirements-maintaining a floating priority assessment [Top level:uncompromiseabale--Breathing]

Subject evaluation complete and action potentials prioritized for initial contact and linked for balance redistribution throughout engagement to zero-level perceived threat from current subject.[Update:incorporate associated sensory data--accompanying subjects identified as threat subject familiars/associates. Systems recalibration. Prioritization aggressor level assignment. Analyze! Evaluate! Execute!

Initial subject positioning corrections consistant with greatest threat/aggressor assignment. [secondary, tertiary, quarternary agressors mapped and track-locked. establishing positional superiority neutralizing fourth threat subject efficiency and causing recallibration to primary threat subject accelleration. Initial evaluation Valid!]Primary defense: Attack. Attack mode: Punch. Target data-base evaluation- best contact zone. Read incomming's metrics. Filter exection with subject's shift potential aggression. Set feet program for punch and system-feed that for appropriate support throughout. Time forearm flextion-elbow positioning:floating progressive xyz coordinates. Power wave generation weight sink engaging the foot perimeter down. Stabalize. Transfer yielding lock cascade: shin, calves, knee flex (with accelleration potential). Quadraceps configure to support back cascade vertabral yielding lock while transferring power cascade-thighs to abdomial. Trunk hunch with vertical mid line rotation. Track subject target. Extend elbow. Shoulder, pectoralis--drive fist (fingers coil in transit; wrist set to adjust-to-lock) nuckle-digit acquirization--Punch.

This is as simple as a punch gets for me in Ernie Moore Jr.'s Kung-Fu attempt, Squirrel.

Mobility ends to deliver. Delivering a strike while not stablized by a solid surface weakens the strike. There is power in momentum and velocity, weight...when one punches one stands, even if ridiculously briefly and seemingly not.

We set-up programs that run in the background for fight or not, fight or flight, how to fight, diplomacy, run, where to run. It's constant programs evaluating. We get information to make the best decisions when we won't be thinking conciously. But when we are "in the soup" we bring a spoon and flavoring of Understanding, Practice, training, accepted concepts, application of concepts, what we think works, conditioning of endurace, conditioning of articulations, conditioning of limbs, how we cope with Life issues, how we cope with issues in our lives, what we're willing to lose, what we're willing to sacrifice, and the stuff we No Know like beating him up makes the girls think you're a brute- the injured needs her attention and when he gets better you get jumpped- he tells it like he did it himself.. There are more-ish factors than we can reasonablly calculate to things.

A punch Is a punch but perhaps what goes into a punch happening is not in every case considerablly dismissively Simple.

No_Know

By the way, talc is stone (hardness 1 of 10), rock is hard but bends. Grass blades are soft but have been known to pierce wood. We get paper cuts yet paper is soft. And hair is considered soft yet after a haircut or shave it can stab. Glass is heated sand. Coal is powdery yet solid. Water molecule gets us mist, water and ice. Hard is hard and yet not. Soft is soft and yet not. A punch is a punch, but understand a punch. Money is Evil...Money is the root of all Evil...the love of Money is the root of all Evil.

We say things without knowing their origins or history at least. Bad and Good things lose their associations, intermingle and one wrongly might be perceived as the other. Perhaps don't just say things. Perhaps don't just parrot. People you've known can be in the wrong.

Think. Breathe.

No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Ever notice it's only westerners who talk about this **** like it's a magical transformation of light and soul?

Talk about escapism by *******izing someone else's culture...
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"