Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Posture Training

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I believe "麻花(Ma Hua) - leg twist" is Baoding SC speciality.
    Was thinking about 18th street mahua - 十八街麻花.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Without putting forces on the structure, what does this develop besides balance in that posture?

When are forces put on the structure to help the practitioner understand the nature of the posture and the point of it's collapse?

How does power get developed from standing in posture alone?
    Gravity pulling down your body weight is the force put on your structure. If you put all of your weight on one leg then you are exercising even more. Tilting your body forward causes you to tighten your muscles more thereby exercising the body and increasing power. The more tension you can create in a given moment the stronger you are at that moment/angle.

If an old guy gets hurt in a car accident and needs to rehab his body are you saying the above exercises would not be beneficial UNLESS he is holding a barbell with weights?

Quote Originally Posted by RWilson View Post
    Gravity pulling down your body weight is the force put on your structure. If you put all of your weight on one leg then you are exercising even more. Tilting your body forward causes you to tighten your muscles more thereby exercising the body and increasing power. The more tension you can create in a given moment the stronger you are at that moment/angle.

If an old guy gets hurt in a car accident and needs to rehab his body are you saying the above exercises would not be beneficial UNLESS he is holding a barbell with weights?
    Nope. I'm thinking in context to how the structure holds up when kinetic energy external to it is shot at it etc.

Stressing any muscle will cause it to grow stronger through adaptation to the forces being used.

pulling is a different force than pushing on that structure as well. Oblique angles of attack are also of interest.

So, the posture to me, is the beginning of the knowledge of the structure, applied forces would be the practical physics knowledge that would in turn lend itself to proper use of the structure in context to it's combat relevancy.

If just rehab, then, yeah, get the muscle working and attenuating rehabilitation and woo hoo, you got cross over usefulness. But original intention of these postures is contextual to martial art skill development. I am questioning in order to correctly grasp how and why in peoples views this would work.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I teach these to my students, we have 8 what we call the enducance stances. they have many benefits and should be practiced on a daily basis. YKW in your list we call the first one flying sparrow and second sparrow splits, 3 rd single leg or cold chicken stance, not familar with the 4th however like I said we have 5 more that shifu shyun showed me.
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 07-04-2012 at 06:47 AM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Blog Entries
    I don't spend time in San Ti Shi ZZ (not enough challenge for me), but I do spend a lot of my training time in 13 Tai Bao ZZ. Here are more 13 太保(Tai bao) to share. You can hold bricks (or stone locks) on both hands in your training. I have linked it into a short form that's easier to remember.

1. 旱地拔葱 (Han Di Ba Cong) Pull onion off a dry ground
    2. 李奎磨斧 (Li Kui Mo Fu) Li Kui sharps the axe
    3. 仙人照鏡 (Xian Ren Zhao Jing) Angle look at mirror
    4. 钝链割谷 (Dun Lian Ge Gu) Dull sickle cut rice
    5. 舍身探海 (She Shen Tan Hai) Sacristy body and dive into ocean
    6. 魁星点斗 (Kui Xing Dian Dou) Kui Xing points at star
    7. 烏龍戏水 (Wu Long Xi Shui) Black dragon plays with water
    8. 羅漢观天 (Luo Han Guan Tian) Lou Han looks at sky
    9. 燕子超水 (Yan Zi Chao Shui) Swallow skips water
    10. 合卧 (He Wo) Combine stance
    11. 古樹盤根 (Gu Shu Pan Gen) Old tree twist the root
    12. 托天式 (Tuo Tian Shi) Lift the sky
    13. 三平 (San Ping) Three plains

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/8412/13taibo.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5LIVXnutDM
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-04-2012 at 05:48 PM.

What is the purpose of holding bricks in the hands when doing stance training?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    What is the purpose of holding bricks in the hands when doing stance training?
    If you "twist" your bricks when you stand, you can also develop your finger strength and wrist strength. It's pretty much like watching TV when you hold in horse stance. Try to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Many people like to talk about posture training such as San Ti Shi, ... as if only "internal" guys know about posture training. Here are some posture training that external guys do. There are much harder to do than the San Ti Shi.
    you missed the point. san ti shi is a fighting stance.
    Last edited by bawang; 07-04-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    It is not trained as so. It is taught to align mystical acu points to allow smoothe flow of qi. It is also to align the structure so that hsing I moving forms can be done with power. And this is where the training stops.

I understand what yOu are saying bawang but why hold static San ti if it is a fighting stance? Do boxers hold weak side forward strong side back for long periods of time? Do bjj people lay in guard holding the posture for 20 mi items to feel qi flOw? No. Stances are alive not static. Hsing I people hold san ti as a way to waste time.

Blog Entries
    When I feel tired, I'll use San Ti Shi to rest. I just feel so relax in San Ti Shi. I have never think about it's a training stance. I have always believed that when I train, I'm not suppose to feel comfortable.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-04-2012 at 10:32 PM.

Here is some of the xinyi postures I like for training.
    Last edited by xinyidizi; 07-07-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Do bjj people lay in guard holding the posture for 20 mi items to feel qi flOw? No.
    That's cuz bjj doesn't use qi! Duh

How long before someone makes an internal version of bjj?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    That's cuz bjj doesn't use qi! Duh

How long before someone makes an internal version of bjj?
    It is already internal and here is how. Internal kung fooers know they can handle bjj people even though they themselves never studied any kind of grappling beyond the "you grab my wrist and I pretend to break yours and knok you down". They internally know they can handle bjj.

I understand what yOu are saying bawang but why hold static San ti if it is a fighting stance?
    think this way. santi is so emphasized in xingyi, that even when they meditate they do it in a fighting stance.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    meditate ...
    The moment that we mix "meditation" and "combat" discussion, the moment that discussion will be guided into the "abstract" direction. For "meditation" purpose, you can stand in any posture that you want to even if it may have nothing to do with combat.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-06-2012 at 12:06 PM.