Page 27 of 62 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: What is qi?

holding your breath is good for lifting weights? you're kidding right? increasing abdominal pressure?! LOL, ever heard of something called a hernia? What about an aneurysm? LOL. Enough said.
    Your misconceptions here have already been refuted. Read Pavel Tsatsouline's books for detailed info.

I'm sorry that educational background threatened you, it was not my intent.
    Threatened? ha ha ha.

Don't flatter yourself or your educational background. It doesn't seem to have transferred too well to other areas of knowledge.
    Last edited by anerlich; 07-05-2012 at 05:23 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Your misconceptions here have already been refuted. Read Pavel Tsatsouline's books for detailed info.

Threatened? ha ha ha.

Don't flatter yourself or your educational background. It doesn't seem to have transferred too well to other areas of knowledge.
    You are correct and I apologize for my remarks. For the record I spoke outside my scope of expertise (especially when it comes to proper body building and strength training, you can also lump all my comments on what I think Chi is as well). I will see if I can download a copy of the book you mentioned for my general knowledge.
    Last edited by nasmedicine; 07-05-2012 at 05:53 PM.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    You misunderstood my point to a ridiculous degree. Read it again and take yourself out of thee picture
    If we mutually misunderstand each other continuosly, not much point in furthering the discussion. Not interested in turning this into a personal slinging match in cyberspace.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

You are correct and I apologize for my remarks. For the record I spoke outside my scope of expertise (especially when it comes to proper body building and strength training, you can also lump all my comments on what I think Chi is as well).
    A gentlemanly response, and I would not want to imply my own statements were all pearls of researched wisdom either.

Truth be told, everyone on this forum makes assertions way outside their areas of expertise pretty regularly.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

A gentlemanly response, and I would not want to imply my own statements were all pearls of researched wisdom either.

Truth be told, everyone on this forum makes assertions way outside their areas of expertise pretty regularly.
    Thank you and fair enough.
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

Sorry to resurrect this well trodden debate/discussion.

The video of a talk by John Vervaeke posted by Robinhood, is very good and very close to the mark with respects to explaining Qi and the bodily mechanisms involved. Yes, it is quite esoteric and some will have to research the terminology and background knowledge that John assumes the listener has already established.

Of course, my praise for Vervaeke is a big IMO but he is supremely worth understanding and I can't help but feel that many posting in this thread just do not want to spend the time, to understand him.

I re-post the link to John's talk below. Many thanks to Robinhood for initially posting it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcp6J...eature=related
    Last edited by Paddington; 07-06-2012 at 08:09 AM. Reason: correct url added

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    Sorry to resurrect this well trodden debate/discussion.

The video of a talk by John Vervaeke posted by Robinhood, is very good and very close to the mark with respects to explaining Qi and the bodily mechanisms involved. Yes, it is quite esoteric and some will have to research the terminology and background knowledge that John assumes the listener has already established.

Of course, my praise for Vervaeke is a big IMO but he is supremely worth understanding and I can't help but feel that many posting in this thread just do not want to spend the time, to understand him.

I re-post the link to John's talk below. Many thanks to Robinhood for initially posting it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcp6J...eature=related
    The link is not complete and therefore will not work. Is the clip you are referring to titled, "John Vervaeke - Chi Explained Without Magic"
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

Quote Originally Posted by nasmedicine View Post
    The link is not complete and therefore will not work. Is the clip you are referring to titled, "John Vervaeke - Chi Explained Without Magic"
    Yes, sorry about that. I have edited my post with a working link, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    . Thanks for posting Robinhood. A quick Q for you, do you follow John and his colleagues more widely with respects to their work?
    Last edited by Paddington; 07-06-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    . Thanks for posting Robinghood. A quick Q for you, do you follow John and his colleagues more widely with respects to their work?
    No, just thought it was interesting, I hadn't see any study's don't on chi before.

Cherrs

If it takes him an hour eighteen to explain his point, I can't help but feel such reluctance is hardly surprising, and the coherence of the explanation somewhat unlikely. I watched a five minute vid explaining the function of the aforementioned Higgs boson fairly well earlier, and I can't believe chi is sixteen times more complex than particle physics. If it is, none of you "seers of the light" will be able to do zip with it anyway.

Maybe when I have a bit more free time - right now I'm going to the gym to roll ... do something which will definitely help my ability progress ...
    Last edited by anerlich; 07-06-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Yes.

The presentation of the above video by the doctor is not about Qi but new age believe. One needs to define qi as the energy which makes tcm accupuncture and herbal work. Instead of getting into all kind of magic force, guidance..Fung shui ....fortunte telling....ect .
    That sound a lot like some one saying, " that presentation wasn't about Jesus Christ and our Lord God but new age magic like Buddhism, Ying Yangs and other magic mumbo jumbo. any description must be filtered first thru the shape allready assumed. Dangerous thinking IMHO
    Last edited by Happy Tiger; 07-06-2012 at 11:36 PM.
    "Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    You are going for a supernatural explanation, or claiming science that we do not yet understand? Why?
    I would say its my experience, If you want to call it science then it would be my personal one as I am a scientist in someway on my way.

Kind regards,
    Xian

If it takes him an hour eighteen to explain his point, I can't help but feel such reluctance is hardly surprising, and the coherence of the explanation somewhat unlikely. I watched a five minute vid explaining the function of the aforementioned Higgs boson fairly well earlier, and I can't believe chi is sixteen times more complex than particle physics. If it is, none of you "seers of the light" will be able to do zip with it anyway.

Maybe when I have a bit more free time - right now I'm going to the gym to roll ... do something which will definitely help my ability progress ...

It is an academic conference so one would expect the use of technical language and a certain level of depth. Most things in life, Qi included, just cannot, IMO at least, be explained and investigated in a few lines or as bullet points. I don't find your analogy with a video designed for lay consumption of the higgs, comparable to a lecture designed for those researching cognitive and neurological functions.