Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: There are two kinds of teachers

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    I attended a Quaker College(Earlham College) and many of my Quaker teachers had served during the war as medics, and other non-fighting but essential personnel.

They do not fight, but they serve.

You do not have to kill people to be a warrior or soldier.
    You do not have to be a warrior to serve meaning not all who serve are warriors. I am not denigrating service in the military. I just do not like Drake's tone. I have the utmost respect for the military but it has its bad sides.

My friend served in Iraq for 8 years. He is nOw divorced. His kids.... It can be argued that he was not a part of the family while on tour. It is sad but the results of his family life speak volumes. I know another guy who is an x-ray tech in the army. He has not seen battle and is not a warrior. I think we are just mincing words.

Quote Originally Posted by RWilson View Post

My friend served in Iraq for 8 years. He is nOw divorced. His kids.... It can be argued that he was not a part of the family while on tour.
    or that his family betrayed him.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    or that his family betrayed him.
    He should have told his kids not to grow up. It is his fault.

It is not just tcma. I have some stuff from Stephn Hayes the American ninja. H does the same thing. He shows a ninja form sequence and then tries to apply it to real situations. A mechanical sequence cannot be applied spontaneously.
    I'll agree with this.

Stephen Hayes seems like a cool dude but most of his stuff suffers from the same problems as every other TMA, at least from what I have seen in his books and videos.

I still have most of his books, though. Ninja stuff is cool

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    That being said, where things fall apart is when people try to apply the same methodology to everything. Once you add a resistive element, whether it's a body you are kicking, an opponent trying to evade you hand-strikes or an opponent to wrestle with, the way you will use your muscles DOES change. Spending too long drilling a movement without any hint of practical application is actually a counter-productive training methodology, you are ingraining bad habits.
    Agreed.

"Footwork practice," if one is doing that, should be treated as nothing more than a set of parameters.

I think too many people think "this is how you step/move in a fight. Exactly like this. These footwork exercises are making me a good fighter." And that is wrong.

Now that thought will be instantly disproven the moment you add a resisting opponent to the training, but as we know, a lot of people never get to experience that because they train at a McDojo.
    Last edited by IronFist; 07-16-2012 at 08:39 AM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    I'll agree with this.

Agreed.

"Footwork practice," if one is doing that, should be treated as nothing more than a set of parameters.

I think too many people think "this is how you step/move in a fight. Exactly like this. These footwork exercises are making me a good fighter." And that is wrong.
    Now that thought will be instantly disproven the moment you add a resisting opponent to the training, but as we know, a lot of people never get to experience that because they train at a McDojo.
    I think this is correct... too many people don't really understand how to transition either! We train a lot of footwork in Hak Fu Mun but, a lot of it is hopping or shuffling for creating or closing distance.
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

I have come across two different kinds of teachers.

One teaches how to do skills. He teaches you how to throw and lets you throw him. He teaches you how to hit and then sends you to the bag. When teaching throws he teaches you how to create momentum and shows how momentary body mechanics help. This teacher emphasizes conditioning and makes it part of his class. This is how student learn how to do it on their own. This teacher is good.

Here is the other kind of teacher I have come across. This teacher sucks. He talks about what magic acu points to press on before throwing the guy, he has you strike him slow and then super speed counters, you have to fall for him because he is too old to throw you but still believes he can, he extracts techniques from forms and demos on arm hangers. He talks about static positions when "trapping" in striking and says, "if he moves here I move here. It is so easy". He does not freestyle with you. This teacher may or may not believe in conditioning but says you should do it on your own but the truth is he stopped years ago. He talks about how this helps a smaller person beat the bigger stronger person.

Have you guys come across these kinds? Which did you prefer?

The biggest reason for the two teachers is that the first teacher still competes. He is with it. The second teacher either never competed/fought or he did so in his youth. He allowed his actual training to stagnate and sat around thinking all day about how to apply instead of actually applying.
    Each door has its own key.

If you want to be a UFC or MMA ring fighter, you go to a teacher that won UFC or MMA rule sets fights.

If you want to learn some Qigong, you go to Qi gong teacher to learn some standing and moving with breathing.

If you want to learn how to Box, you go to a teacher that won Boxing matches.

If you want to learn how to MT

how to SJ or BJJ

---

Ask your self first what you want

then select the teacher that would help you most along the way.

--

There are 2 kinds of students

One that knows what he or she wants.

The other does not.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    Each door has its own key.

If you want to be a UFC or MMA ring fighter, you go to a teacher that won UFC or MMA rule sets fights.

If you want to learn some Qigong, you go to Qi gong teacher to learn some standing and moving with breathing.

If you want to learn how to Box, you go to a teacher that won Boxing matches.

If you want to learn how to MT

how to SJ or BJJ

---

Ask your self first what you want

then select the teacher that would help you most along the way.

--

Your post is incomplete. I like how you listed skills. What skill would I go to a tcma teacher to learn? SJ is known for throwing. Mantis is known for?????

now it wouldnt be my first choice, or probably any of my choices, but a walther ppk is just fine to stop someone. no it doesnt have the impact that a .38 or a .45 will have but if i put 2 or 3 rounds in you, you arent going anywhere man. i dont really care who you are. the only way around that is a vest, and who walks around in a vest that is not active enforcement?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    now it wouldnt be my first choice, or probably any of my choices, but a walther ppk is just fine to stop someone. no it doesnt have the impact that a .38 or a .45 will have but if i put 2 or 3 rounds in you, you arent going anywhere man. i dont really care who you are. the only way around that is a vest, and who walks around in a vest that is not active enforcement?
    If a guy is running at you adrenaline filled he may not feel a walther ppk. A 38 will knock him back allowing him to see and feel the damage. Might not happen with the janes bond gun. You also have to be at closer range to have impact.

i always carry a vial of pcp with me when i go out for a walk.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

he'll feel it when his lungs fill with blood.

i know what you're saying, but holes in your body are still holes in your body. maybe in the extreme off chance that you are dealing with a highly drugged individual, but pretty much anyone will have a 'reality crash' the moment they get shot. hard not to see a gun pointed, aimed and shot from a guy you are running at...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i always carry a vial of pcp with me when i go out for a walk.
    thats cuz you are the messiah

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    he'll feel it when his lungs fill with blood.

i know what you're saying, but holes in your body are still holes in your body. maybe in the extreme off chance that you are dealing with a highly drugged individual, but pretty much anyone will have a 'reality crash' the moment they get shot. hard not to see a gun pointed, aimed and shot from a guy you are running at...
    Google cop that got sliced up by knife attacker while the attacker had been shot already. It happens, bro. Adrenalin will stop the pain Of bullets if you are drugged up, angry, and really close to the guy shooting you.

If I am a cook in the army am I a warrior?? Not everyone is on the field of battle. Drake is in army intelligence.
    Our cook was in a firefight. She now has a combat action badge. She also ran patrols and had to react to car bombs going off and IEDs. She was nearly hit by a piece of shrapnel. Shows what you know.

Were you raped by a soldier, too? Sounds like it. Getting raped all the time, no wonder you are so angry at all the stronger people around you raping you.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"