Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Full-Contact Kung Fu Gear: Fairtex, Ringside, other?

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    I share my school with wrestlers and coaches, they sell all kinds of wrestling shoes. When you look at them they are desgined to keep you leaning forward and the ankle in a forward bent postition, this is not good at all for falling postions, leaning back , sweeps etc etc, its would actually pinch your achilles tendon nad crimp the shoe if you lean back for any reason. I have inlused a pic so you can see what I am trying to explian.
    I wrote Asics:

Maybe Adidas shoes do that but mine do not. Now as I understand it, most TCMA have the heel on the ground when training but I am usually putting most of the weight on the balls of feet or anterior half. Therefore it doesn't bother me if that's the case.

Top King makes the best shinguard on the market, unless you're really having problems with kick catches causing them to slip - then get the Fairtex grappling shinguards.

Gloves are a personal thing. I find Everlast gloves to be absolute garbage and I REALLY don't appreciate people wearing them for sparring.

For sparring, 16oz is the standard.
    Gloves with IMF or similar padding is probably ideal: Winning, Ringside, RingToCage, Top Ten, Title Gels, Rival.
    Thai brands are also not bad: Boon, Fairtex, Top King, Twins, Windy, Raja, King, FBT, etc.

For bags & pads, it's usually smaller gloves or gloves specifically labeled "super bag gloves".
    The following companies make awesome super bag gloves: Grant, Rival, Ringside, Title.
    I've also had a lot of luck with Thai brands in smaller sizes (between 10 and 12oz).

Mexican gloves are typically if you want to bust someone up real bad in sparring.
    Depending on the brand, they can be okay on bags & pads (Reyes, Seyer, Zepol, JC Pacheco, Campeon, etc).

Top King and Fairtex make some of the best thai pads on the market. Also notable are Twins and Ring to Cage.

Belly pads, I like fairtex & boon the best, but you really can't go wrong.

Chest guard - I recommend whatever you can get from martialartsmart. It's not common to wear them in muay thai; amateur muay thai that requires them is a pretty recent development.

Focus mitts, I've always had good luck with Ringside, but Rivals have been great, and Titles will do in a pinch.

Headgear; I've had great luck with Fightgear (a Ringside subsidiary). Rival, Winning, and Reyes make the highest rated headgear. Title is solid too.

Mouthguards: Gladiator is probably the best custom. I usually go with Shock Doctor.

If you have any questions about a particular gear I can try to help.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

just curious what you dont like about any everlast gloves. how come you REALLY dont appreciate people using them? bad experience?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    just curious what you dont like about any everlast gloves. how come you REALLY dont appreciate people using them? bad experience?
    To be clear, I'm talking about the $40 models you can get from Academy sports.
    Everybody's seen them - white trim and a basic, primary color like blue, red, black, or pink.
    Padding-wise, they have almost none and are just not sufficient for sparring.
    This is especially true when considering people buy these cheap pieces of sh*t as their only gloves, use them day-in, day-out on the bags & pads, then jump in the ring to spar with them.

I've been busted up more in sparring (surface/skin damage) from these gloves than from any other.
    I'll usually break out my Grants or American Stand Ups (ie gloves with a lot of pop, hard/minimal padding) if I know in advance someone is going to be using these.
    In Fort Worth a guy jumped in the ring with some of these on, most of the paint had already been worn off, split my lip with the first punch - I didn't go easy after that.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

gotcha. totally understandable lol

was just curious.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

faxing,
    I still believe that wrestling shoes no matter who the maker is still postition the person for a wrestling stance, ie leaning forward.
    I would be superised if you had on those shoes and did a falling stance if they do not bind and constrict your achilles tendon and pinch your heel in a unconfortable way.

but hey if they work for you then thats wonderful, I was just suggesting for most this is not the correct shoe for the sport
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 07-31-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

For shoes -

You just can't beat a good ol' pair of Chuck Taylors.

faxing,
    I still believe that wrestling shoes no matter who the maker is still postition the person for a wrestling stance, ie leaning forward.
    I would be superised if you had on those shoes and did a falling stance if they do not bind and constrict your achilles tendon and pinch your heel in a unconfortable way.

but hey if they work for you then thats wonderful, I was just suggesting for most this is not the correct shoe for the sport
    Don't most sambo players wear wrestling shoes?

They got most of the major throws used by Judo and Shuai Chiao players and don't seem to mind...

Last edited by Pork Chop; 07-31-2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: More images

faxing,
    Have you ever even worn wrestling shoes? Wrestling shoes have never felt constricting, if anything they offer greater stabilization of the ankle. Even pubu is no problem.

These are the standard shoes for Shuai Jiao.

I prefer Nike Speedsweeps; affordable and durable, Wei Ruis wear too fast (probably had knockoffs).

Rival's Pro Sparring gloves are the most comfortable things I have ever put on my hands. I'd sleep with them on if they didn't interfere with my extra curricular activities. A bit on the expensive side but worth it if you put a lot of work in. I've never tried their headgear but I've heard good things and it looks pretty sick.

Other than Rival I like Ringside and Twins. I agree 100% with PorkChop, Everlast is garbage; cheap toy gloves for kids who want to pretend box.

not sure about sanda, or SC wearing wrestling shoes. I praticed SC many years barefoot.

I am sure there comfortable for some sports, I was specifically talking about any position where you lean back, falling positions or for sweeping. again the shoe is desgined for the sport and the posotion in which is is played.

I wouldnt wear cleats on a basketball court, nor would I were basketball shoes to run in.
    ie in pic porvided you can see that his forward foot could not perfrom this stance witha high top laced up shoe that is angled forward.
    but again if they work for you than thats great, just giving my opinon.

wensu, yes I have 3 pairs as I use them when I wrestle. but again I dont when I practcie kung fu or BJJ
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

or this poition
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Like I said, pubu is no problem in wrestling shoes. Ideal? Probably not, but it is nowhere near as constricting or difficult as you are trying to make it out to be.

I guess that depends on the user, or wearer in this case. but again if ou like them and they work for you thats kweel.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Does anyone recognize the brand of gear these San Shou women are wearing and/or know where to get it?:

Quote Originally Posted by wushuaddict View Post
    Does anyone recognize the brand of gear these San Shou women are wearing and/or know where to get it?:

Looks like Wesing gear.
    First I've heard of it...
    https://ninesunswarrior.com/