Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rooting Horse stance vs Standing Post

Again,

There is no difference.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    My teacher severely yelled at me for doing static horse stance training.

He wanted us to train footwork and mobility, not "dead" stances.
    if he is a kung fu teacher i have to disagree with him, horse stance is the foundation of kung fu. maybe if you are working at boxing or kickboxing skills,horse stance training is a waste of time. but i'm focusing on the stand up grappling aspect of my kung fu, which includes shuai jiao. for this it is one of the most valuable solo training methods available,in my opinion. also for self defense horse stance training is very important,cause if done correctly ,will make a strong root. that will help keep you off the floor,which i think we all know is not the safest place to be in a street fight. also helps developed the strength for all your techniques.

anyone who doesn't know horse stance training is the foundation of their kung fu isn't doing real kung fu i think.not to say they can't fight,but aren't training in kung fu. real horse stance training or zhan zhuang training needs to be done daily minimum 30 to 40 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    anyone who doesn't know horse stance training is the foundation of their kung fu isn't doing real kung fu i think.not to say they can't fight,but aren't training in kung fu. real horse stance training or zhan zhuang training needs to be done daily minimum 30 to 40 minutes.
    Not all kung fu focuses on stance. My teacher wanted us to train transition and mobility.

Looks real to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    low stance is actually more internal and gathers more qi.
    What do you mean by "gathers more qi"?

Not all kung fu focuses on stance. My teacher wanted us to train transition and mobility.

Looks real to me.

what style does he teach?

Blog Entries
    If you stay in "horse stance", your opponent will not fly over your head by himself. You have to train "hip throw". After you have trained your hip throw 10,000 times, you already have good horse stance.

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    What do you mean by "gathers more qi"?
    you are supposed to reach a state where your leg doesnt feel burning but a warm sensation, and you feel your ears beating real loud like drums. low stance does this faster.

you have to endure the unbearable burning sensation of your legs until you reach a threshold. when you no longer feel the burning you are supposed to start gathering qi. this is a standard qi gathering method for shaolin kung fu.
    Last edited by bawang; 08-05-2012 at 07:58 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    you are supposed to reach a state where your leg doesnt feel burning but a warm sensation, and you feel your ears beating real loud like drums. low stance does this faster.

you have to endure the unbearable burning sensation of your legs until you reach a threshold. when you no longer feel the burning you are supposed to start gathering qi.
    Sometimes it's so difficult for me to know if you are joking or if you are serious.

when rendahai or andy miles read this they can back me up.

if you are not a poosy you can try this right now. youll pass the threshold around 10 min.

ok, i try it.

and you have to visualize gathering qi to dantien then to soles of your feet.

i dont know why u think this is funny, this is the main qigong method for shaolin kung fu.

I didn't say it was funny. Anyway did a very low one for half an hour and you are right it's faster. So why is hunyuanzhuang not this low?
    Last edited by xinyidizi; 08-05-2012 at 08:42 AM.

for young people hunyuanzhuang is done in a deep stance and holding a stone ball. even for elderly people, you visualize holding an infinitely heavy ball.

hunyuan is the position of the hands, not the feet. "holding the primordial universe".
    in taoism the primordial universe is a ball.
    Last edited by bawang; 08-05-2012 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    what style does he teach?
    Brendan Lai taught Praying Mantis.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If you stay in "horse stance", your opponent will not fly over your head by himself.
    Dang it!

lol