Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight training for TCMA

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    And I've never met a weak CF person. They usually max the APFT in the Army with ease.
    i have thats why they brought in louie simmons and dave tate to teach them how to train for strength
    original cross fit was terrible for strength training, cross fit is good for well, training for the cross fit games

Using cross fit for martial arts conditioning is silly (if its good for the military i have no idea, the fact they give free memberships and i believe free instructor training might have something to do with their popularity in those circles),we are talking about training for fighting not military engagement, profiling a fighters needs is much easier than profiling what an infintary man might need so there is no need to do all that WOD rubbish, it wont get a fighter in good fighting shape or strong.....just look at the fighters they used to sell the product back in the day to the MMA crowd , BJ penn and cabbage for lords sake

Actually, the military has a ridiculous love for crossfit right now, especially in the SF and Infantry world. I did CF while training up with my team before we went to Afghanistan. I didn't like it, on a personal level, but you can't deny it works amazingly well for doing the sort of tasks we do.

So yeah, if you are doing CF or something similar, your training IS pretty similar to what elites use. However, that's just the fitness aspect.
    Crossfit does basically work, but I have a few issues with it

1. When did doing conditioning drills all of a sudden become Crossfit's exclusive domain?
    2. It is taught by unqualified gurus.
    3. They claim that CrossFit, builds more muscle than a standard weight training program.
    4. They will show people doing all kinds of tremendous things in their promos; however, people got that way from gymnastics, real Olympic lifting, and standard weight training not CrossfFt.
    5. Peak fitness is developed by creating a workout schedule that balances sport-specific training and standard weight training. Just focusing on one or the other will limit your progress. Besides, "CrossFit" is too hard on your joints to do all the time unless you weigh 120 lbs.
    6. Those pullups are ridiculous.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 08-19-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    i have thats why they brought in louie simmons and dave tate to teach them how to train for strength
    original cross fit was terrible for strength training, cross fit is good for well, training for the cross fit games

Using cross fit for martial arts conditioning is silly (if its good for the military i have no idea, the fact they give free memberships and i believe free instructor training might have something to do with their popularity in those circles),we are talking about training for fighting not military engagement, profiling a fighters needs is much easier than profiling what an infintary man might need so there is no need to do all that WOD rubbish, it wont get a fighter in good fighting shape or strong.....just look at the fighters they used to sell the product back in the day to the MMA crowd , BJ penn and cabbage for lords sake
    CrossFit has a serious credibility problem. It shows in their videos. The squatting is horrible and not a one of the instructors has a clue on how to correct it from top to bottom. Some instructors seem to squat okay because of luck as much as anything.

They had to bring in Louie and other qualified people before someone litigated against them.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 08-19-2012 at 10:41 AM.

And I've never met a weak CF person. They usually max the APFT in the Army with ease.
    Are they really CrossFitters? There is this trend to call any type of conditioning CrossFit, but it is really just good ol' fashioned working out with a few ideas from the CrossFit website.

I have seen a lot of guys around the Gym come to the conclusion that "CrossFitting" is basically a fad. They realized that after doing it for so long that they would actually start to get out of shape. It has to be balanced with regular weight training.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 08-19-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    CrossFit has a serious credibility problem. It shows in their videos. The squatting is horrible and not a one of the instructors has a clue on how to correct it from top to bottom. Some instructors seem to squat okay because of luck as much as anything.

They had to bring in Louie and other qualified people before someone litigated against them.
    crossfit has a lot of problems credibility is but one lol,

but give gleason his due hes made a fortune out if it and got major sponsorship for his games from rebook is it? ...i bet pavel is so jealous

crossfit has a lot of problems credibility is but one lol,
    It takes more than one post to go into them all.

It takes more than one post to go into them all.
    true OL lifts for high reps with bad form, high rep deadlifts in a fatigued state, the use of tabatas research to justify everything under the sun being done for 20 secs on 10 secs off...we could fill a forum lol (and people have!)

true OL lifts for high reps with bad form, high rep deadlifts in a fatigued state, the use of tabatas research to justify everything under the sun being done for 20 secs on 10 secs off...we could fill a forum lol (and people have!)
    You have my vote for being the moderator of the, "What's wrong with CrossFit" forum.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    edit - aren't you the guy who does all those "TCMA specific" cable exercises, or am I thinking of someone else? I don't you don't believe me, but those really aren't doing you much good
    Yes, I'm that person. Since I started this thread. I prefer to put myself in "listen" mode. My opinion is not important in this thread.

To answer your last question, I use "TCMA specific cable exercises" to develop my "shaking" ability. I can't develop this ability by doing solo drill into the thin air. I also don't have training partner 24/7.

Well, from what I've seen, it is incredibly effective.

I don't think it has the market on high intensity workout, but like with anything else, it is A way.

Until there's research to directly correlate injuries, comparative exercises, and other things in the realm of sports medicine, we're all talking out our asses in terms of definitive proof.

I'm just throwing out my perspective, and from what I've seen, the guys are in great shape, much unlike so many pot-bellied, easily winded TCMA instructors I've seen.

If we're all about adaption, it's at least worth a look and a test before instantly classifying it as rubbish because it runs counter to what we've known.

CF does get people into good shape. As for making a fighter out of you, that's dumb. It's for fitness. If you think you'll come out of CF as a fighter, you are an idiot. That's like running marathons thinking it'll make you a better airline pilot.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

I don't think it has the market on high intensity workout, but like with anything else, it is A way.

Until there's research to directly correlate injuries, comparative exercises, and other things in the realm of sports medicine, we're all talking out our asses in terms of definitive proof.

I'm just throwing out my perspective, and from what I've seen, the guys are in great shape, much unlike so many pot-bellied, easily winded TCMA instructors I've seen.

If we're all about adaption, it's at least worth a look and a test before instantly classifying it as rubbish because it runs counter to what we've known.

CF does get people into good shape. As for making a fighter out of you, that's dumb. It's for fitness. If you think you'll come out of CF as a fighter, you are an idiot. That's like running marathons thinking it'll make you a better airline pilot.
    it sounds to me like you aren't sure about what some so called Cross Fitters are doing. But, you are happy to take it on faith that they do a "Strict Crossfit Routine" developed by an unqualified guru, and they have tremendous fitness because of it. It sounds like CrossFit is perfect for you. If you are in the military, you might want to start figuring out who is on steroids and who isn't too.

It's sort of funny, if this were a boxing forum and some beer gut boxing coach with no special notoriety told you something about fitness, you would swallow it hook line and sinker. Again, I think that CrossFit is an excellent choice for you.

Actually, the military has a ridiculous love for crossfit right now, especially in the SF and Infantry world. I did CF while training up with my team before we went to Afghanistan. I didn't like it, on a personal level, but you can't deny it works amazingly well for doing the sort of tasks we do.

So yeah, if you are doing CF or something similar, your training IS pretty similar to what elites use. However, that's just the fitness aspect.
    Haha...Wenshu just got spanked I hope that didn't sting too bad.

it sounds to me like you aren't sure about what some so called Cross Fitters are doing. But, you are happy to take it on faith that they do a "Strict Crossfit Routine" developed by an unqualified guru, and they have tremendous fitness because of it. It sounds like CrossFit is perfect for you. If you are in the military, you might want to start figuring out who is on steroids and who isn't too.
    First off, stop making assumptions, especially about me, to suit your argument. It's obnoxious. Second, steroids are illegal and tested. Even ephedrine is banned. Thanks for the advice about staying alert, because I certainly needed military hints and tips *sarcasm*.

I know a lot of people, including senior officers, who conduct crossfit daily, and swear by it. These guys are in amazing shape, something I CAN'T say about the TCMA community, and always score ridiculously high on the APFT. End of story.

Knock off the ad hominem attacks. It's childish.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

It's sort of funny, if this were a boxing forum and some beer gut boxing coach with no special notoriety told you something about fitness, you would swallow it hook line and sinker. Again, I think that CrossFit is an excellent choice for you.
    I would? Why would you say that? Oh, yeah, you put words in my mouth. Thanks, I appreciate that.

Must be sagelike advice coming from the overweight, out of shape WC community...
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown