Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
if you don't understand the spherical , peng, etc. principles that are present and being applied during the sprawl, then you are just ignorant and stupid.
Yeah the principles are great as a very very very very very very basic explanation but the sprawl is a very basic takedown defense which can be explained technical terms. This part of the body does this at this time. Your principles may be great, and may help to a point, but those who train technically will always have an edge. If you're having trouble with counting a jab do you want to be told that you have to be more spherical, let the chi flow better, or step in and off line more and raise your shoulder. That is the point I'm making.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
Obviously you don't understand them or the meaning or idea behind them. These are just the methods that were used a hundred + years ago. It's just part of the tradition. so what. Just get your jollies coming here and making fun over others for the way do things? This is a Kung fu forum, hello!?!?
And I do Kung fu... But it's not the only are I train or have trained. You'll have to do a little better than falling back on tradition. As basic metaphors they're okay but beyond day 1 explanations to a new student these aren't great. Considering most folks here probably have martial arts experience technical explanations on power generation, redirection, counting, footwork, etc are going to be far more useful that "oooh we're like this type of ball."