Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dragon aka Swordsman aka Wu Xia

Well, that was artsy

Artsy enough for the art house crowd? Perhaps. Wu Xia is a very entertaining film. The sets and costumes are rich and detailed, just what we are now coming to expect from Chinese productions. The CGI stuff is very amusing - I love the way dim mak is depicted. It's a gorgeous film. The action...well, there's not enough of it. Donnie's choreography remains top notch - this is his Shaw Bros choreographic homage. But I could have used like two more fight scenes.

It was great to see Jimmy Wang Yu again. There's an in-joke with his appearance, but it's kind of a spoiler. That being said, this film could serve as a creation tale for Donnie's next franchise.

I enjoyed Wu Xia a lot. It has a unique vision for a martial arts film that is very refreshing. If this film had just two more fight scenes, it would have been perfect for me.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Im calling it!!

this was hands down the best kung fu or movie with kung fu in it...in years!!!! yes in years, im including the yip man films...yes the story was essentially history of violance, but adding that element of a relentless detective stepped it up a notch...in history there was no question that the main character was a badass...this movie keeps you guessing, and just when youve figured it out another element pops up...the father character was down right scary, my girl actually cringed. what killed for me was the end fight scene...i wont spoil it, but it was so out of element with the movie as to deem it ridiculous...other then that, peter chan did a fantastic job. donnie was FANTASTIC!!!! he actually showed some acting chops here, and the fights.....some great hung ga by donnie! i brought a projector with awesome sound and have a great backdrop so i felt like i watched it in a theater ill def. watch this again.

No, seriously...how was it?
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Donnie Yen - Swordsmen

Just merge it if I missed the thread. but...
    I didn't see a thread here when I did a basic search, but this Donnie Yen movie looks pretty cool.

I just watched it, the Media Asia DVD release of it. IMO, this is not only Donnie Yen's best film, but it's the best film from mainland China that I've seen. I liked it more than Donnie's Ip Man films. It actually brings something unique to the genre. I'm not a fan of the CSI shows, but it's clear that they were a big influence on Wu Xia.

Kudos also to Takeshi Kaneshiro, Jimmy Wang Yu, and Tang Wei. The acting is top-notch. Wang Yu, in particular, looked really good...in fact, more imposing, and he even moves better in his fight scene than he did in his prime. And it's great to see Kara Hui back, this time as a villain.

I wasn't going to wait for the U.S. release of it with the stup!d title "Dragon". If you get it now, make sure to get the uncut foil cover edition, the quality is excellent. I hear there's another release that's a poor-quality bootleg.

I give this one a 10/10.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 08-29-2012 at 09:59 PM.

That's a glowing report Jimbo, I've been trying to find it online with no luv. Action sequences good too?
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Hi, HH.
    I got my copy off of Amazon.

The fights are good, but it's more about the quality than the quantity. I won't say the fights are THE BEST, because they aren't, but they are very good. They take a while to roll around, but IMO the story and acting are good enough that I enjoyed the whole movie. It's interesting that the featured art seems to be Hung Gar (cinematic, of course). I love it when Donnie does "shapes".

And a big thing for me is there is NONE of the nationalistic cr@p that's so prevalent in Chinese films today.

Now it's called Dragon

iTunes trailer

In theaters: November 30th, 2012

I'm changing the thread title from "Wu Xia (Swordsman) starring Donnie Yen" to "Dragon aka Swordsman aka Wu Xia"
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Am I seriously the only person who was really bothered by the deus ex machina?
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Dragon

I'm sure it is here in a million places, but I can't find any reference to it. My forum fu is weak.

But what do we know about the new Donnie Yen film, 'Dragon' starring Donnie Yen and directed by Peter Ho-Sung Chan? Comes to iTunes on the 26th and to theater on Nov 3. You can see the trailer here: http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/dragon/

I'm sure there is a KFM contest for tickets that I am not seeing either.

I knew it.

This plot seems very reminiscent of "A History of Violence" starring Aragorn and Mario Bello.

VOD (iTunes) 10/26; Limited theatrical 10/30

This would be good on the big screen. If memory serves, it had outstanding cinematography.

Weinstein Co sets Wu Xia release
    By Patrick Frater
    Wed, 17 October 2012, 14:48 PM (HKT)
    Distribution News

The Weinstein Company has finally set a date for the theatrical release of Wu Xia 武俠 in North America, where the film is known as Dragon.

Through its Radius TWC arm, the company will give the film a video-on-demand release on 26 Oct via iTunes and other platforms. That will be followed by a limited theatrical release on 30 Nov.

The martial arts detective story stars Donnie YEN 甄子丹, KANESHIRO Takeshi 金城武 and TANG Wei 湯唯. It was directed by Peter CHAN 陳可辛.

TWC acquired rights for most of the world at the Cannes Film Festival in 2011, where the film played out of competition in a version supervised by Harvey WEINSTEIN.

It was released in much of Asia in July 2011 and in South Korea in November last year. But distribution in most other territories, where it is either handled or re-licensed by TWC has awaited the US release.

Wu Xia recently played at the New York Asian Film Festival and previously at the Palm Springs International Film Festival festival in January and the Seattle International Film Festival in May.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

19 mins cut from US version

Donnie Yen Exclusive Interview: Discussing 'Dragon' And The Censored Ending Audiences May Never See
    Posted: 10/26/2012 10:30 am EDT Updated: 10/26/2012 10:30 am EDT

Donnie Yen is Asia's biggest action star, or as he's often referred to in Hong Kong, the "Strongest Man In the Universe." He's also the star of the upcoming kungfu/action/detective film "Dragon" ("Wu Xia").

I had a chance to sit down with Yen and talk about "Dragon'" while he was in New York City for the New York Asian Film Festival this summer.

Important questions first, what does he think of his nickname?

“Better to be called something positive and inspirational than something negative.”

Classic Donnie.

Like his nickname, playing the lead character in "IP Man" was an inspiration for Yen. "IP Man" is the movie he's known best for, and he knows it. Yen told me, “'IP Man' was the most successful and influential movie I’ve done.”

“I certainly hope 'Dragon' can leave some legacy behind," he added.

In "Dragon" -- which was called "an exhilarating martial arts entertainment that modernizes the genre while re-emphasizing its strong points" by The Hollywood Reporter -- Yen plays Liu Jinxi. Jinxi at first appears to be nothing more than an innocent and oblivious villager caught up in the middle of a random act of crime in a small village in 1917 set to the backdrop of China’s transition from monarchy to republic. Naturally, there is more to Jinxi than initially meets the eye, and as events continue to unfold, more and more is revealed about the character. Eventually, the audience is unsure if he's the protagonist or actually the antagonist.

Its a tricky role for a traditional action star to take on.

Yen said his role in "IP Man" changed the minds of producers in Hong Kong, who may have previously seen him solely an action star. "We are usually typecast in certain category, action hero, at best an action icon. I’ve had many opportunities to play many roles since 'IP Man.'"

A bit of good fortune doesn't hurt either. “How do you change the mind of people’s perception of an action actor? Most of the time it takes more luck (for a big part) than ability,” Yen said.

Yen's inspiration for playing the character of Liu Jinxi also drew much from his role and experience in "IP Man."

“I gained a lot of confidence after 'IP Man' as being a true actor. I went on to tackle what it is an actor is supposed to do before a film. Do a lot of research, get into the character. That’s what I did with 'Dragon.' Liu is actually two characters in one.”

So was it difficult to play a non-action character, for at least half of a film?

“After two weeks of research I found out it wouldn’t be as difficult to play a non action guy," Yen said. "All you have to do is tune down all the martial arts experience you have. You have to forget about your 40 years of martial arts experience and be just a normal guy, a farmer, a guy that never went to school. It really didn’t take me too long to penetrate and feel comfortable as that character.”

Peter Chan directed "Dragon," but Yen handled the action sequences and fight choreography as he often does for his films.

“As an action director I always try to bring something fresh and new. We wanted to bring something totally poetic [to Dragon']."

The poetry in a Donnie Yen film is usually poetry of fight, not plot. "Dragon" was a true attempt by both director and actor to merge classic detective film elements with kung fu, and they in large part succeed in doing so, with much thanks to Yen's strong performance and reliably ingenious fight sequences.

WARNING! "Dragon" Plot spoilers ahead!

In a particularly impressive fight scene, a one-armed Donnie Yen takes on a character being played by the legendary Jimmy Wang.

“It was difficult but it wasn’t as difficult to me because it's adjusting to the situation," Yen said before adding, "It was a lot more difficult than I anticipated.”

“It's like someone twits your arms, and imagine trying to move while they are doing that. And we didn’t rely on the CGI, so I really had to try and hide any of the arm that might be sticking out from the wardrobe.”

That still wasn't the most difficult part of choreographing the fight. “The most difficult, was fighting the legend Jimmy Wang, he’s an older senior. In all due respect, the gentleman is a 70-year-old guy. You really cannot expect some sort of competition when working with him. So, the way I choreographed his movements, I had to both think of the possibility of 'can he do it?' at the same time having the face and respect for him to not embarrass him. I have to work with him, work with the actor, and then come up with something to allow him to showcase his stuff, and at the same time bring out the best in the character. If he’s a martial arts master, his level should be up here [Yen holds hand up high].”

The environment also added to the difficulty of the sequence. “It was raining every day, really really hard. We couldn’t even walk properly without thinking about falling. It was that slippery. Every shot we had to put layers of empty sandbags.”

And yet, as tricky as that scene was to film, it wasn't the original ending to "Dragon."

"We actually have an alternative ending which I thought was quite innovative and unfortunately we had to cut it out because of [Chinese] censorship," Yen said, shaking his head.

"Jimmy Wang was chasing me to the second floor and he was beating me up and my son came out and stabbed him from behind," Yen explained. "So it was like the father is beating up the son, and the grandson is hurting the grandfather. The grandfather turns around and is looking at the grandson and giving no reaction. And the kid is obviously crying, and I was holding Jimmy’s leg to restrain him from hurting my son. The whole triangular emotion of the situation was really awkward. Which I thought could be the essence of the whole scene, the odd way the grandfather turned around and looked at his grandson and actually smiled, like the grandson had his blood.”

“Right away Peter [Chan] knew that it crossed the censorship line, so we shot it and took it to all of the China censors and they thought it was too powerful. He [Chan] played it safe, said he loved the ending, but we couldn’t have it.”

Yen wasn't sure if the alternate ending will even make it onto special edition DVD releases in the future. “I don’t know if Harvey [Weinstein] will recognize that ending because, I believe, when he bought the film it was already edited out."

END SPOILERS

You can check out "Dragon" on Video On Demand on October 26 and in limited theatrical release on November 30. It's worth nothing that the upcoming releases of "Dragon" will feature a trimmed down version from of the original Asia release -- by 19 total minutes, streamlining the film to a more briskly paced 97 minutes.
    Dragon Official US Release Trailer #1 (2012) - Donnie Yen, Takeshi
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Opens this Friday

Another limited theatrical release, although this one just might be worth the trip. I can't seem to find an official US website. It is released through RADiUS-TWC, and I've got their facebook, youtube and twitter, but no site that reveals where exactly this film will be playing. Anyone?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Watched this recently. Xbox 360 has a cool trend of putting kungfu movies up for rent a month or two before they hit american theaters. Could have used a few more fights, but the fight with the main thugs come to collect was awesome. I loved the stylized animal kungfu donnie yen used in that fight. The action was so smooth. What would be cool is to see a sequal to this like the one arm boxer lol
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.