View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1050 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 505509501000104010481049105010511052106011001150 ... LastLast
Results 15,736 to 15,750 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Wanted to be on page 1000.

But instead started 1001.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    The Tan Tui is one northern connection we share. but if you ask me, most of the moves in the form resemble CLF more than anything aside from the Tan Tui.
    That makes sense. The base is CLF so any other forms are filtered through the fundamentals as you know them. The real question is what did your 5 Animal form look like before it was filtered through Lau Bun's knowledge of CLF?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Quote Originally Posted by buddajoe View Post
    Today I laugh in the same way!

Now all can see one version of the five-animal and compare. I know that all those who have learned this form from dubious teachers may see themselves the differences and the beauty of a righteous form.

The bottom line is that DFW did something great. His book tells the whole world that Professor Lau Bun first brought the five-animal to America. It is also a specific form for Choy Lee Fut, Hung Sing style, originating in San Francisco.
    Jew Sifu told me that the Professor had over ten thousand students. Sifu told me that he had had over ten thousand students (mid 80’s) and perhaps Dino would do the same. The book DFW wrote would have much more readers. If I am to believe the DFW is closing in on one million students then I have no worries about the book or the video.
    The video is now a closing statement. I believe that the video was made much earier than the book. ESPY was the company and it advertised in the martial art mags. please correct if I am in error.
    You are correct, this is from the ESPY video, still available on their website. I don't know what year it was published, there there is no copyright date given anywhere on the video or the sleeve it came in, but I am sure it is a port from VHS. The book was published in 1987, and ESPY TV started in 1983, so it couldn't have been too much earlier, just a few years. However DFW looks younger in the book photos than in the video, so I can't tell which came first.
    "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow, you cannot pass!"

Blog Entries
    That makes sense. The base is CLF so any other forms are filtered through the fundamentals as you know them. The real question is what did your 5 Animal form look like before it was filtered through Lau Bun's knowledge of CLF?
    that would indeed be interesting. i would love to see something even remotely close to this form from an authentic lineage.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    I was told it was. I quoted that from another forum. I think there's a link to that forum directly on the SD thread. Of course Sal can speak for himself.
    indeed he can; although right now he's laid up in a hospital bed recovering from surgery and flirting w nurses...

I'm not sure I follow your other point. The students in Indonesia are from the school where Sin the learned. There were more than one teacher there. These forms were learned in Indonesia by those students after Sin and Hiang The moved to the US. It doens't answer the question where the forms came from, but it does say that there is an origin to these forms that was not fabricated from The and still survive independant of him and SD.
    ok, that sounds reasonable;

The Tan Tui is one northern connection we share. but if you ask me, most of the moves in the form resemble CLF more than anything aside from the Tan Tui.
    that would indeed be interesting. i would love to see something even remotely close to this form from an authentic lineage.
    the opening def look more "northern" than CLF-ish, it also looks very "qigong-y" - the one-legged stuff is all luhng yihng (dragon) based - it's very similar to parts of the Gong Luhng Fuhk Fu qigong set I know (which AFAIK is a Taoist Dragon Gate Sect practice), although certain nuances have gotten lost in the translation (e.g. - Dragon movements are very sinuous, and actually when you play it that way, it's easier to make the transitions that DFW seems to be having trouble doing - in other words, you don't move/stop/move/stop - the whole sequence has a continuity of flow - that way u don't have the issue w the instability that happens when u try to stop as u hit a given posture...it's also next to impossible to figure out this quality on ur own, as it's very subtle, it starts w the eyes and the multifidi, which is what makes it internal, hehehe...)

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    the opening def look more "northern" than CLF-ish
    it has taizu longfist salute

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

do you know how many people all around the world check out this forum? do you realize how widespread this forum is? its NOT just the handfull of people. you gave EVERYONE who checks out this forum access to that video.

your intentions might have been honorable. but honestly, it opens the wound wider than helping it close. i'm sorry.
    Bro, its just a **** form. It's not the holy grail. You really are this upset because he put a link up to a video of a form that probably hundreds if not thousands of people bought? Just seems silly to me.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Blog Entries
    Bro, its just a **** form. It's not the holy grail. You really are this upset because he put a link up to a video of a form that probably hundreds if not thousands of people bought? Just seems silly to me.
    ____
    u missed the point.

u missed the point.
    No, I get the point.

You believe SD learned the form from video, then created their own "history" of how it came into their system. Yep, that was wrong by modern standards. Though instructors have been stealing information from other styles since the beginning of martial arts. So, it is nothing new.

Should they give proper recognition to your lineage for the form? Sure, that would be the honest thing to do.

Should you get excited because someone put the form on YouTube and provided a link to it? That is the part that I feel is silly. The cat was let out of the bag decades ago. Its kittens are everywhere.

I practice Tanglangquan. The major portion of our curriculum can be found on YouTube. Even the parts that used to be "teh secretz". It has had little effect on the Mantis families. Just because someone can mimic our forms, doesn't mean they understand the applications or principles behind them. I bet the same holds true for a great system like CLF.

My first mantis instructor was also a CLF instructor in DFW's line. I remember him showing me the same 5 Animal Form back in the mid-80s. Nice form, but nothing secret.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Blog Entries
    My first mantis instructor was also a CLF instructor in DFW's line. I remember him showing me the same 5 Animal Form back in the mid-80s. Nice form, but nothing secret.
    right. nothing secret. i agree. NO gung fu is secret. everyone has the same stuff. all gung fu is relative. that IS unless you're SD. then you'd be a KUNGARATE.

right. nothing secret. i agree. NO gung fu is secret. everyone has the same stuff. all gung fu is relative. that IS unless you're SD. then you'd be a KUNGARATE.
    is this what a Kungarate looks like?!?

Blog Entries

I think that is the actual cousin of SD's Hairy monk guy.

I think that is the actual cousin of SD's Hairy monk guy.
    I think I would actually enjoy getting kicked by a big floppy foot like that, although I'm not sure why I feel that way..

Blog Entries
    I think I would actually enjoy getting kicked by a big floppy foot like that, although I'm not sure why I feel that way..
    its a side effect of too much exposure to the negative elements of Shaolin DO