Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marinating and Reflecting

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    yeah it is your bad. you should have had better luck but it looks like your luck SUCKS. BIG TIME.
    shows your ignorance. when you call me your sifu i will teach you the right way. till then maybe you are better off with SHAOLIN DO.
    Read a history book Slim.

Blog Entries
    Read a history book Slim.
    go learn some gung fu TOUGH GUY.

don't forget when you wanna know the real call me sifu!
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

too real for me seefood
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

Blog Entries
    are those your students? LMAo

i see u have a TON of support. nice job man really.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 10-26-2012 at 11:46 AM.

Kung fu isn't JUST about fighting, we all know this and not everyone does kung fu "to fight" or to be prepared to fight.
    The problem is when kung fu is NEVER about fighting.
    This is what I mean:
    From the first time I started MA in 78 till the day I "retired" my "competitive spirit", MA ( including kung fu of course) was always PRIMARILY about fighting, a good 90% if not more.
    Now, kung fu is about fun, exercise and maintaining as much of a "combat mindest" as I can now that I am no longer a fighter (literally).
    In short, kung fu can be about "something else" NOW because it was "all about fighting" then.
    If a person never goes through that "all about fighting" phase, IMO they will never know Kung Fu.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    kung fu is whatever you put your mind to. whether its forms, lion dancing or fighting. some people do it for themselves. others do it to test themselves in competition and reach for the gold. it when we start letting others tell us how we should feel, want, or do becomes the problem.

i am happy with what i do. my students are happy. they don't have dreams of becoming ufc champs. they're satisfied with what they're learning and confident in using it effectively in a hostile situation.

kung fu itself is the umbrella and under it falls the fighting, forms, lion dancing, basics and stance training then into weapons.

all of those who hate kung fu, thats your problem. deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Kung fu isn't JUST about fighting, we all know this and not everyone does kung fu "to fight" or to be prepared to fight.
    The problem is when kung fu is NEVER about fighting.
    I agree with this. Fighting must be understood to have cultivated kung fu in yourself. You don't have to be the greatest or the baddest of all bad asses, but you should understand it (violence) in the sense of it being a reality that may occur in your life.

That's some real dharma baby. ohm...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    Judo teacher: Judo is not only for fighting, it's good for health too. When I use hip throw to throw your body over my head, it's good for my health.

Student: It may be good for your health, but it's not good for my health.

Have people noticed that "TCMA for health" guys may spend more time in "power generation" and "strike into the thin air" than "TCMA for combat" guys do?

Is it fair to say that those who work on the heavy bag are "TCMA for combat" guys. Those who do not are "TCMA for health" guys?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-26-2012 at 05:36 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Judo teacher: Judo is not only for fighting, it's good for health too. When I use hip throw to throw your body over my head, it's good for my health.

Student: It may be good for your health, but it's not good for my health.

Have people noticed that "TCMA for health" guys may spend more time in "power generation" and "strike into the thin air" than "TCMA for combat" guys do?

Is it fair to say that those who work on the heavy bag are "TCMA for combat" guys. Those who do not are "TCMA for health" guys?
    The crazy part is that power generation is an advanced concept that really only makes sense after you've begun the path of mastery of kung fu's most basic intrinsic skill - fighting. These TCMA for health guys are just plain nuts because the whole idea behind the power generation practice was for a guy to be able to deliver a tremendous strike. The health aspects are neat, but the basic basic basic foundation needs to be developed first. And it has nothing to do with "the street" or the too deadly primitive combat. Here's how I know... the creation myth behind the art that I practice. Wong Long developed mantis because of sparring sessions with his Kung Fu brother. These weren't life and death matches - these were games/contests between two friends. They fought for the pure joy of mastery of fighting techniques - and one guy kept consistently winning, the other wanted to win. This is the foundation of mantis - friendly but rough sparring between friends.

Blog Entries
    The crazy part is that power generation is an advanced concept that really only makes sense after you've begun the path of mastery of kung fu's most basic intrinsic skill - fighting.
    i feel like a broken record when a new student comes in. "YOU'RE USING TOO MUCH MUSCLE". OVER AND OVER.

These TCMA for health guys are just plain nuts because the whole idea behind the power generation practice was for a guy to be able to deliver a tremendous strike.
    INSTEAD OF BEING A TOOL TO SAVE THEIR LIVES, THEY TURN TO THE ARTISTIC SIDE AND NEGLECT THE COMBATIVE SIDE.

They fought for the pure joy of mastery of fighting techniques - and one guy kept consistently winning, the other wanted to win. This is the foundation of mantis - friendly but rough sparring between friends.
    AS IT SHOULD BE DONE.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 10-27-2012 at 09:14 AM.

i feel like a broken record when a new student comes in. "YOU'RE USING TOO MUCH MUSCLE". OVER AND OVER.
    We tell the students, "The idea about taking 10,000 times to master a skill is that YOU are supposed to practice 10,000 times. Not that WE have to TELL you 10,000 times!"

Blog Entries
    We tell the students, "The idea about taking 10,000 times to master a skill is that YOU are supposed to practice 10,000 times. Not that WE have to TELL you 10,000 times!"
    preach on!!!!

preach on!!!!
    In the old days, the teachers beat their students.

Nowadays, we taunt and ridicule them.

"I laugh so I don't have to cry."

Today, one student said, "That movement is pretty!"

I said, "It can be, if you do it right."

"Sometimes it pretty. Sometimes its ugly. Sometimes it pretty ugly. Better practice..."