Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why don't you test your skill in MMA gym when you are still young?

Blog Entries

Why don't you test your skill in MMA gym when you are still young?

MMA gym is an excellent place to test your skill. If I'm 20 years younger, I'll spend everyday in MMA gym to have fun.

I just received the following E-mail from one of my guys. IMO, he has the correct attitude.

What's your thought?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a couple places lined out for training, there is very little CMA that offers San Shou in Dallas! I will most likely be hanging out at a big MMA gym that I know some people from. MMA guys love to wrestle/spar and train hard, so I enjoy working out with them very much. Plus I don't have to reveal anything to them about my tricks or style. I usually have a very different style than most MMA/BJJ guys, so it is good for me. The gym I am thinking about has some outstanding wrestlers, so that is a huge deal for me.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-10-2012 at 08:55 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I couldn't agree more. Age and other commitments beat me this time around, but just like you, if I had 20 or even 15 years up my sleeve I would have loved to have done a lot more crosstraining. Funny - I started CLF 34 years ago. I also took extra judo classes a couple of years after that but never really enjoyed it - yet when I had the chance to do some grappling I loved it. Guess I was more ready for it then and by that stage had been exposed to years of technical dishonesty in TCM.

It would have been nice to see how I would have developed in this direction, but too many other interests, too little time and a wife - you can only do so much.

i do and have done so for a decade, as for the whole age thing my sifu is in his 50's and still tests himself in local MMA gyms and judo clubs

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    i do and have done so for a decade, as for the whole age thing my sifu is in his 50's and still tests himself in local MMA gyms and judo clubs
    Cool!
    ----

I've been cross training for quite some time and love going to the MMA gym whenever I get the chance. They seem to be just as welcoming and friendly as any other and are gracious to have the chance to see something different... and they recognize value in something that you might not be able to pull off live from your style and will work it and rework it to help you and them to get it to work.

I did.

It's why I stopped trying to use TCMA techniques against resisting opponents.

Great thread!
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    It's why I stopped trying to use TCMA techniques against resisting opponents.
    Tons of TCMA works, you just need to learn how to work it and practice it properly. Of course a teacher who only does forms for performance can't teach you how to work it.

So you go to an MMA gym exclusively now? Do you not use any TCMA in your training?

I've trained a few arts and I consider my TCMA to just be icing on the cake. I can fight without it, but I enjoy finding ways to make it work for me and fit into my own style. And it does work. Not always exactly as advertised, but quite often the basic principles are valid. Take away all the flowery sh1t and look at what the intent is, and go from there.

I teach my kung fu classes out of our school which is 7500 sq feet and very expensive so I have4 other teachers bjj wrestling boxing aikido adn kick boxing which totally qualifies us as a MMA gym.
    I often find that my kung fu guys stand up and throws work well on all a accounts but the ground game is where kung fu lacks, however many of our joint locks work well on the ground and we have some fallen fighting skills but you just cant beat the wrestlers and BJJ guys on the ground only, you must have a well rounded cirriculum to work form otherwise your just fooling yourself oif you consider yourself to a be a true fighter.
    PS I am hosting and judging MMA and USMTA every 3 months and seeing some really good fighter come up, anyone who wanted to get in the ring email me message me I accept fighter s form all over. we have over 2k in attenqadance last fight, I also have them at te night club with 2 floors and you can watch the fits and drink, its awesome gets roudy realo quick. LOL
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Tons of TCMA works, you just need to learn how to work it and practice it properly. Of course a teacher who only does forms for performance can't teach you how to work it.
    I personally was unable to make TCMA techniques work against resisting boxing/MMA opponents. I'm not saying nobody can, I'm just saying I can't. And I haven't seen anyone in the professional fighting arena do it, either. Not saying it can't be done.

However, for the sake of fairness, I need to mention that I did use TCMA Wing Chun techniques once. That situation was not a "fight," though. I was standing there and a dude came up to me with a box cutter held to my chest. I did a pak da and punched him in the chest while knocking his hand away. I believe it was the right technique for the situation.

However, if I was squared up against an opponent in a fight, I would not use TCMA techniques. Extensive testing against multiple resisting opponents in an MMA gym have made me realize I cannot make them work against resisting boxers and MMA people. The pak da situation above was a one off situation; not a fight.

I do think some WC stuff is good if you're just standing there and are attacked out of nowhere, but once its time to take a fighting stance, I would not use TCMA.

So you go to an MMA gym exclusively now?
    I did. Then I moved to a place where there was no MMA gym and kinda stopped MA training.

Do you not use any TCMA in your training?
    Correct, I do not use any TCMA in my training. I do believe TCMA has the right idea when it comes to things like hand conditioning, fist training, etc. Very slow, steady progress over time. But other than that, I think it kind of misses the mark with everything else, for example, holding horse stance for extended periods of time.

I've trained a few arts and I consider my TCMA to just be icing on the cake. I can fight without it, but I enjoy finding ways to make it work for me and fit into my own style. And it does work. Not always exactly as advertised, but quite often the basic principles are valid. Take away all the flowery sh1t and look at what the intent is, and go from there.
    If you can make it work for you then by all means, keep doing what is working for you.
    Last edited by IronFist; 11-11-2012 at 06:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    The advantage for going to MMA gym to test your skill are:

- If your skill work, keep doing it. If your skill doesn't work, modify it to make it work.
    - It's hard to find sparring/wrestling partner outside of your comfortable zone, MMA gym will give you the training partners that you are looking for.
    - In MMA gym, nobody care about what style that you train. Style won't be an issue in those environment. .
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

- If your skill work, keep doing it. If your skill doesn't work, modify it to make it work.
    - It's hard to find sparring/wrestling partner outside of your comfortable zone, MMA gym will give you the training partners that you are looking for.
    - In MMA gym, nobody care about what style that you train. Style won't be an issue in those environment. .
    Agree with all this.

MMA groups I've trained with have encouraged me to try other styles' techniques. That was probably because if they worked, they wanted to know them

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    I personally was unable to make TCMA techniques work against resisting boxing/MMA opponents. I'm not saying nobody can, I'm just saying I can't. And I haven't seen anyone in the professional fighting arena do it, either. Not saying it can't be done.

However, for the sake of fairness, I need to mention that I did use TCMA Wing Chun techniques once. That situation was not a "fight," though. I was standing there and a dude came up to me with a box cutter held to my chest. I did a pak da and punched him in the chest while knocking his hand away. I believe it was the right technique for the situation.

However, if I was squared up against an opponent in a fight, I would not use TCMA techniques. Extensive testing against multiple resisting opponents in an MMA gym have made me realize I cannot make them work against resisting boxers and MMA people. The pak da situation above was a one off situation; not a fight.

I do think some WC stuff is good if you're just standing there and are attacked out of nowhere, but once its time to take a fighting stance, I would not use TCMA.

I did. Then I moved to a place where there was no MMA gym and kinda stopped MA training.

Correct, I do not use any TCMA in my training. I do believe TCMA has the right idea when it comes to things like hand conditioning, fist training, etc. Very slow, steady progress over time. But other than that, I think it kind of misses the mark with everything else, for example, holding horse stance for extended periods of time.

If you can make it work for you then by all means, keep doing what is working for you.
    Well, with all due respect, I do not consider WC to be the most combat oriented CMA. Not to say it's useless, it's just not where I would go with my CMA.\

For me static stance training is more of a mental thing. If I want to engage those muscle groups with a full range of motion I'll just do a few varieties of squats.
    That being said, I don't spend much time in a horse stance. It's something I may do after stretching but before my main workout. I find it's a great opportunity to get my head into what I'm about to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Well, with all due respect, I do not consider WC to be the most combat oriented CMA. Not to say it's useless, it's just not where I would go with my CMA.\
    Yeah, I wasn't able to make WC work against resisting non-WC opponents.

But like I said, if you're just standing there and someone randomly comes up and attacks you, I think some of the techniques, such as pak da or lop da make for good startle reactions.

But after that initial moment I wouldn't use WC anymore.

I find most of the chinna to be effective in some way or another. Not always as advertised, but the fundamentals are sound.

I learned a hopga form that I still love. The way it starts is so simple and effective. It has such a nice flow. If somebody grabs me the way it starts, I will use it without even thinking about it. The way it flows, I can move into stuff I'm more familiar with as far as throws are concerned. It also sets up a sweet double, landing in side control with an arm.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

One more advantage is realising that your teacher didn't really have all the answers. When you start training at a young age like I did, it's hard not to see your teacher as a combination of your second father and God - which is ultimately a little restrictive for later learning if you don't lose that attitude.

One good way to lose that attitude is to mix it up with other people from different backgrounds.

Doesn't mean I think any less of my teacher - just that I had many many more options than I used to realise I did.

I agree with what others have said too - most of the MMA people I've met have been a hell of a lot more open, friendly and welcoming than the 'traditionalists'.