View Poll Results: What to do about the 'Is Shaolin-Do for real?' thread

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Merge all S-D threads together so it clears 1000 posts!

22 38.60%
  • Unlock IS-Dfr. Let all the S-D threads stand independently.

13 22.81%
  • Keep IS-Dfr locked down. All IS-Dfr posters deserved to be punished.

5 8.77%
  • Delete them all. Let Yama sort them out.

17 29.82%
Page 1157 of 1335 FirstFirst ... 15765710571107114711551156115711581159116712071257 ... LastLast
Results 17,341 to 17,355 of 20011

Thread: Is Shaolin-Do for real?

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    Or the ****ation Alley Crawler. Will go through anything.
    You for the win ...
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Y'all think it's funny till I roll through in my gurhka

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Y'all think it's funny till I roll through in my gurhka

Does that come with a vagina?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I'm familiar with the concept, but I don't see the point when it comes to religion.
    As far as I'm concerned, a situation like this is the only time you need a thought experiment. Why would you even use a thought experiment if you could just do an applicable experiment? That's what they are for, philosophy and theory. Like Schrodingers Cat. Philosophy is a thought experiment. The concept of god could be described as such if it wasn't for the whole blind faith thing. It sure is from my perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    The Austrians are the strongest on this position.

Take the idea of collective knowledge (consensus) and collective action. Collective knowledge, such as what accrues in textbooks, is individually known and subject to refutation--if it is not axiomatic in the way that mathematics and human action are. Some people argue that reality is a fiction. This is funny. An argument that denies reality requires language, time, space (as prerequisites for speech unfolding sequentially in a comprehensible manner), an audience (and hence another being in the spatial-temporal frame), value-driven behavior ( convincing others that reality is false), and the presupposition that the original premise could be true (and hence that all things are not false.

Anyways...so some of you we're saying that nothing could be proven? You guys need some Aristotle, Kant, or Mises, and fast!

Proof comes with assumptions.

And for JP, everything wook is saying IS a thought experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by kwaichang View Post
    I have found that Left brain , proove it to me types who dont like the idea of a God , will not admit their is one, . Anyway as far as saying one who does for someone w/o thought of self I will give you 2 examples,
    1. My dad was a Marine his group was at Guadalcanal, most were killed there was a gentle man who did a heroic deed like the old movie thing of grabbing a grenade and covering it with his body, he saved many lives, he got no reward in this life, but the next life doesnt matter because none acknowledge God. Sure he got a medal or should I say his family did but it didnt bemnefit him at all.
    2. Dr White of Austin Texas, a Neuro Surgeon, he checked on my son 2x per day for a full week , ordered 2 MRI's and other tests, to check for possible brain damage, then gave my son a pair of little blue shoes, when he was Dc'd. We were informed everyday by him that our son was going to be fine, and he is. When we asked for a bill he said dont worry about it , when we looked for a hospital bill of the MRI's there was none, we had to hunt him down to thank him , he was embarrased to be thanked, HE NEVER RECEIVED A DIME, well if this isnt selfless nothing is, if you dont think it is wait till your kid is born and he/she has to be in the Neonatal ICU. You will feel different then, Oh and btw Dr white sends a birthday card to my son every year on his birthday. KC

Sure. But they all had some form of satisfaction, even if it was breif, in the case of the granade scenario. He did it because HE wanted to save others. HE, as in SELF.

As for the left brain comment, you can't be an engineer without being able to exploit both. You can't do thought experiments without both. Taking injury and MASSIVE defect out of the equation, nobody is left or right brained.

It's a bad example. Nevermind that these guys are out to kill a bunch of poor and starving Japanese farmers who are being forced into battle by imperial blowhards. Hard to find the moral high ground in the larger picture.
    All examples are bad examples because there simply is no such thing as an unselfish act. He isn't getting it, and he won't get it, because he doesn't want to. He sees selfish and goes negative with it thus forcing his own delusional mind to conform to what is comfortable. It's just that simple.

As for hte doctor. He's a good man, but a poor businessman if he universalizes the principle. He can't offer those same services to everyone. You, KC, were very fortunate. And I applaud the doctor for his kindness. BUt I wonder if you think that everyone who walked into his office received the same services.

Impossible. So he is at least selfish 90% of the time, right? And why does he care for your son to this day? Obviously, it reminds him of a good deed he has done without asking for repayment. This is selfish, but not narcissistic. It is admirable...and selfish.
    It doesn't matter how he felt. He did it, his self, therefore it was selfish. I don't understand why people find this so difficult. Motivation is secondary. I can tackle it that way too. Say he got a warm fuzzy from helping a sick kid for free, but you don't even need to go there. All our actions originate from the self therefore it is selfish. No need to dumb it down any farther. I tried that approach, it didn't take.

And for the record, I don't need to read anyone elses work to verify this opinion. My grandfather put the idea in my head when I was like 14 and I worked the rest out for myself. It really isn't all that complicated if you let go of your assumptions. Something else he taught me. In thought experiment we have structured assumptions for the purpose of the experiment, all others must be considered but held separate.
    Although I did read much of what you suggested. But not all their work. There just isn't enough time.
    Last edited by Syn7; 11-27-2012 at 03:46 PM.

The doctor provides care for many w/o payment, he performs surgery on babies invitro because he is one of the few that can, he pays over 125,000 a year in malpractice insurance. He may be a poor business man that may be true but he has what he needs, never complains, \
    To judge by ones own standards is folley to judge the soldier and what would have happened to others maybe , is crazy . there is only the act all else is speculation at best. The acts stand for themselves, KC
    Yes, acts of individuals with motivation that comes from within before anything else.

Look, I'll say this as nicely as I can. You don't have the background for this convo. You simply don't have enough foundation and I can only dumb this down so far.

Why don't you two just go get a room?
    He would just cry the whole time.

While it is just a Movie you need to see Saving Private Ryan , Band of Brothers and D-Day. KC
    Seriously, if you really wanna have this convo, you need to let go of many assumptions.

Belief is all we have (whether rational or delusional they are mine). Our actions can only be defined by our motiviations (which are only known to us) and for others to attempt to define them is futile as they are only defining their perceptions of their actions.

We can express all of this in a thousand different hypotheticals, theroms and classical philosphical models but it all matters not.
    L A W Y E R !

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Were the term applicable to martial arts, I would say he is guilty of a weird form of possible martial malpractice. when you take stuff you dont really understand and teach it to people and make them think you know what you are about and understand what you are teaching, but you dont, that is not ethical or moral, and can lead to someone getting seriously hurt by thinking they are more competent than they are. You can't look at the guys that can make the stuff work, they are the exception, not the rule.

We dont even have to argue that he not only lied about legends of origin, but lied about knowing what he was doing. Anyone who is familiar with taijiquan can look at him doing any taiji and know he does not understand taijiquan.
    No doubt. In my school, for every lazy kid, there are 20 kids who work hard and show a TON of progress and skill for the time put in. And since it's a small school, minuscule compared to SD, there are only like two lazy kids. Everyone who put in the time can make their stuff work for them. And if you met the lazy kids parents, you would see why they are lazy. That being said, the brother is actually coming around and has the first two forms down pretty well from what I hear. There are teens there who show strong ging in all their movements. Not to be a huge dick but they show a kind of power I haven't even seen in The, let alone any of his disciples.

BTW... Still waiting for a good display of ging. I asked a while ago and even put up an example from my own lineage to show what I'm asking for. I've seen it in Hung Sing, now I wanna see it in SD. Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I've always thought of this as well...on a sort of related note, musicians nearly universally attest to receiving impressions of color from the different keys, however it seems all musicians do not "see" the music as the same colors...so if tone and color are wired together in our brains shouldn't we all perceive the key of E as the same color...off topic but you made me think of it...
    Curious. Any reference material?