Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: The flagship discussion roundtable of Kung Fu Magazine, open to all topics related to

Even if you just want to do some amateur fights without dreams of holding a UFC title, it's a good test for you MAs skils.

The main reason I'm interested in sport fighting is I'm considering teaching some day and nowadays if you've never fought some people don't take you seriously. Not that I believe that myself, but it's just the state of things now.

If I ever want to help train someone for the ring, it's a real good idea to get in there too, instead of just sparring.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Even if you just want to do some amateur fights without dreams of holding a UFC title, it's a good test for you MAs skils.

The main reason I'm interested in sport fighting is I'm considering teaching some day and nowadays if you've never fought some people don't take you seriously. Not that I believe that myself, but it's just the state of things now.

If I ever want to help train someone for the ring, it's a real good idea to get in there too, instead of just sparring.
    Yep it is a test of ones skills.
    Be prepared to lose. That is the key thing and also, be realistic.
    IE: don't go writing no cheques with your mouth that the rest of your body can't cash.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Yep, funny thing is that the strikes that were the most powerful on a static target ( heavy bag) weren't always the most powerful on a moving target.
    Side kick is a perfect example.
    Most powerful hand strike for me was the over hand right, followed closely by the left hook.
    Kick was the round kick.
    The was the case for the majority of people there.
    was talking to my MMA coach about this last night, he is teaching a dutch style of stand up for MMA and its becoming popular all over the UK and elsewhere, what is basically means less use of the jab and cross, less use of head movement bobbing and weaving etc, more use of a high guard to absorb the strikes and moving backwards or circling off line in defence. In attack level changes or slipping and stepping off line is used to set up your strikes

Hooks, overhands and uppercuts are thrown a lot, the hooks are to the head and thrown at a longer distance than a normal boxing hook , they are also angled to the body like a shovel hook, overhands whip in and down and the upperhook is also used a lot but it’s a longer range upper cut you punch it forward and up with the little finger facing the opponent and most combinations were finished with a hard low roundhouse.

If the jab is used it’s a stiff whole body punch like a straight left, the reason for all the above is that weak straight shots are easy to follow into the clinch or walk through and short hooks and upper cuts are too much in clinch range, you want to hit them hard with every strike throw them from all sorts of angles so they don’t know what is coming and at a range long enough that they cant clinch the body easy and get punished everytime they try to come in

Semms like the study you did just reenforces all this lol
    Honestly it was like watching a CLF demo lol
    Last edited by Frost; 12-19-2012 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Well, there is no such language as "american" You speak English.
    Secondly, what methods for attacking soft targets are you unclear on? Were you trained improperly by hippies or something that didn't know about these targets?
    Actually, there is. "American English" is distinctly different than "The Queen's" (Oxford) English. There are different spellings, accent, and even differing grammatical rules.

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Actually, there is. "American English" is distinctly different than "The Queen's" (Oxford) English. There are different spellings, accent, and even differing grammatical rules.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 12-19-2012 at 08:58 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    was talking to my MMA coach about this last night, he is teaching a dutch style of stand up for MMA and its becoming popular all over the UK and elsewhere, what is basically means less use of the jab and cross, less use of head movement bobbing and weaving etc, more use of a high guard to absorb the strikes and moving backwards or circling off line in defence. In attack level changes or slipping and stepping off line is used to set up your strikes

Hooks, overhands and uppercuts are thrown a lot, the hooks are to the head and thrown at a longer distance than a normal boxing hook , they are also angled to the body like a shovel hook, overhands whip in and down and the upperhook is also used a lot but it’s a longer range upper cut you punch it forward and up with the little finger facing the opponent and most combinations were finished with a hard low roundhouse.

If the jab is used it’s a stiff whole body punch like a straight left, the reason for all the above is that weak straight shots are easy to follow into the clinch or walk through and short hooks and upper cuts are too much in clinch range, you want to hit them hard with every strike throw them from all sorts of angles so they don’t know what is coming and at a range long enough that they cant clinch the body easy and get punished everytime they try to come in

Semms like the study you did just reenforces all this lol
    Honestly it was like watching a CLF demo lol
    Very interesting.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Dutch style (Muay Thai) is really cool from what I have seen of it. My buddy just worked with a guy that fights with it and said it was the first time in a long time that he felt like someone had the ability to shut down a lot of what he does as well.
    -Golden Arms-

IN terms of stand up, the Dutch have always been very good and always looking to get better, this "new style" seems to be like the way Hoost fought, no?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

All of this just screams "full circle." we've said it before, but all of this just feels like people think they are discovering something new. This **** ain't new. The old school guys just fought constantly.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    American English is nothing more than a massive bastardization of the "The Queen's" English. You guys take words, make them work for you. But don't fool yourself into believing it's actually something separate. It's just another patois. You take english words and dumb them down a bit. This cannot be disputed. Like removing letters and in many cases whole phonemes. It's basically what happens when there are more uneducated people than educated people. Simple assumptions and mistakes make their way into the consciousness and end up being taken for granted. I'm not trying to be insulting, just stating the facts. Canada does it too.

Like, for example, how many of you have heard of Aluminium? What does CAEsAr spell? Certainly not Ceaser. There is a reason why it's spelled the way it's spelled. Two examples that have always kind of annoyed me. I can go on for days!

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    IN terms of stand up, the Dutch have always been very good and always looking to get better, this "new style" seems to be like the way Hoost fought, no?
    yep hoost, Maneoff etc and the guys at mikes gym they all fight this way, paul daley here in the UK really teaches and uses this style to good effect in the cage (hes the one who teaches it to us and our coaches)

yep hoost, Maneoff etc and the guys at mikes gym they all fight this way, paul daley here in the UK really teaches and uses this style to good effect in the cage (hes the one who teaches it to us and our coaches)
    Too bad he ruined his chances in the big show by being an undisciplined twatt. He really is good at what he does. Too bad.

Yep it is a test of ones skills.
    Be prepared to lose. That is the key thing and also, be realistic.
    IE: don't go writing no cheques with your mouth that the rest of your body can't cash.
    You got that...I never understood the trash talkers...I know they push fighters to do it in UFC interviews to hype the fight, but man, why would you want to make those claims when you know your about to face a real dangerous man?

On the local level, it's just crazy. Anyone can knock anyone out if a punch lands just right. You never know what can happen. If your humble and just say your going to train hard and do your best; then you lose, you don't really have to eat any crow. Some guys spend two months trash talking before a fight, then get a beat down...Eating your words might be worse than your injuries...I don't understand why people put that added pressure on themselves...

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Too bad he ruined his chances in the big show by being an undisciplined twatt. He really is good at what he does. Too bad.
    i actually know daley quite well, trained with him for years....no excuses for what he did but what kosceck was saying to him would have made most guys react like that

i actually know daley quite well, trained with him for years....no excuses for what he did but what kosceck was saying to him would have made most guys react like that
    You shouldn't say "no excuses" then offer up an excuse. Doesn't do your position any justice, man.

And it doesn't even matter. Kosceck is a douche, we all know it. He may be a nice guy, but that was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in MMA. You would think he would be man enough to reign in his emotions. Especially considering he is a deadly fighter. Not everyone who says mean things should get punched. I find it hard to believe that he isn't a bit of a bully outside the ring. Maybe not in the fight clubs, but you know that guy picked on kids in hischool. His profile is textbook.