Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Some observations on TCMA

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Could you provide a clip to show us how you will pull your opponent back in that situation. I'm very interest to know too.

I have spent a lot of time to counter the "pulling back" myself. IMO, the only way that your opponent can pull you back are your opponent's:

- feet are in a "horse stance".
    - arm can wrap your waist.
    - body is straight.

If you can

- spring your opponent's leg to force him from his horse stance into his bow-arrow stance.
    - use over hook to crack his waist wrapping arm.
    - put his head in front of your chest so his spine is bending.

He won't be able to pull you backward. Maybe there are something that I have not thought of. Please share your experience.
    Sure. Next time I'm on the mat, I'll have someone try that technique and I'll show the problems with it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    You can't ankle pick an unweighted leg. As I explained before, the whole idea of the ankle pick is to force the opponent to put all his weight on that leg. Without that, there is no ankle pick.
    We have different understanding about "ankle pick". If you use it to take your opponent down, it will work better when he has weight on that leg. If you just want to get his leg, the less weight that he has, the easier for you to pick up that leg. This is why when you apply ankle pick, if you push his shoulder, his foot will come into your hand.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

We have different understanding about "ankle pick". If you use it to take your opponent down, it will work better when he has weight on that leg. If you just want to get his leg, the less weight that he has, the easier for you to pick up that leg. This is why when you apply ankle pick, if you push his shoulder, his foot will come into your hand.
    By picking his foot up from that position, you are making it even easier for him to take your back because you have just improved his leg hook position.

Blog Entries
    You are in a compromised position with your right arm. The opponent can either trap it to hold you while he maneuvers to your back, or he can lift his right elbow and bring both hands forcefully down into the back of your elbow while straightening your arm, potentially doing significant damage to the elbow joint.
    Old TCMA saying said, "If you make a move, your opponent will make a move too". Since I only use my right arm to jam my opponent's right arm, his free left arm can do a lot of thing. There will be no argument on that.

Again, in both cases, his left hand has to be able to reach to my back or my right elbow. Since he is in a side stance, he has to turn into his left and move his left leg in order to reach me.

Of course I can move in through an angle that's futher away from his back left hand. That's too conservative IMO. I want to move in such an angle that not only I can attack his leading leg, I can also set up to attack his back leg as well. In order to enter through his "front door", I have to take certain risk to deal with his left arm and spin with him if needed.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-22-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Blog Entries
    Once again, completely different mechanics.
    kouchigari has both control of opponent's far side and does not reach down. It is vital to both control the opponent's far side and keep the upper body upright.
    I have different opinion on this. The risk of those throws are when you spin, if your opponent spins with you, he can pull and drag you down to the ground.

This is why an experienced wrestler will modify his body spin into a "90 angle cut in angle". You won't change you angle until you can collapse your opponent's body structure.

All those 3 throws has "body spin". It requires your back to touch your opponent's chest. The "shin bite" has no body spin at all. It only require your chest to face your opponent's chest.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-22-2013 at 04:32 PM.

I wish I lived in a Shaw Brothers movie too.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Miles View Post
    Shin bite isn't just a trick for tipping people over.

That isn't how it is designed to work. You kick the inside of their knee as a crushing step and as your weight comes down, the leg is loose and falls into a shin bite. Shin bite is what you do when you try to crush their knee and it slips off or fails to dislocate the patella. Its a pretty good way to significantly stress a knee to the point that a person can't stand well. If it fails, then they step back, which is exactly what you want. They fall into an off balanced retreat and simply sprinting through them will cause them to tumble backwards. Then they are simply trampled by the men who are following you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsakrgK0h6Y Look at 16 sec and 34 sec. These aren't for MMA, they are for walking through crowds of people.

This kind of training demands posture training. If you try it, you will know exactly why. If you don't intend to ever run through a crowd of angry people and severely cripple them, then don't bother.

Both of you are talking about contexts that didn't exist to Master Chang. He taught Shuai Chiao and used sport as a medium to develop skills, but in his heart Shuai Chiao was for battle and that is the way he trained and developed his art.

The training is in place for a reason. If your life context doesn't match that of your art, then change the art or change the context so that they are congruent.

One on one isn't reality. Sparring isn't reality either. It's the illusion of a safe and wealthy people. Reality is diplomacy, hiring people to help and winning before you make contact. Reality is routing a crowd of people by making them fear you and making them give up the will to fight back. That comes down to meditation, posture training and footwork. It comes down to social contacts and drinking with enemies and making use of their circles of influence. All the hand work kung fu is known for is a recent imagination. People in real conflicts pick up something to use as a weapon.

Those postures carry wisdom on a deeper timeline than you can fathom. They come from a culture whose depths even modern Chinese can't comprehend.
    No wonder people think kung fu practitioners are deluded.

Blog Entries
    You kick the inside of their knee ...
    That's a good way to set up shin bite. A low roundhouse kick to the inside of your opponent's upper leg, if your opponent resists and not pulling that leg back (here we are talking about a fully resist opponent who likes to use force against force and refuse to step back), you then slide your leg down along his leg and then bite onto his ankle. At the same time, a hook punch at your opponent's face will get you that "leading arm jam upper arm" position.

The main purpose of shin bite is to force your opponent to shift weight from his leading leg to his back leg. You then take advantage on it. The most common combos are:

- shin bite, reverse shin bite,
    - shin bite, inner hook,
    - shin bite, outer hook,
    - shin bite, twist and spring,
    - shin bite, leg lift,
    - shin bite, leg twist,

If you and your opponent has different sides forward, you can even jump in with a head lock (need some set up), bite your shin bone onto your opponent's "upper leg", you then lift your back leg to put all your weight on his body. Depending on how your opponent will react, you then respond to it accordingly. It's an excellent "door open" move.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-22-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    don't play music to cows.
    I just can't allow people to trash TCMA without doing anything. Chinese sage Meng Zi once said, "I don't like to argue". When his students asked why he did anyway. He said, "Sometime I was forced to and I just didn't have choice". When he tried to make that point, he was arguing with his student who asked that question right at that moment.

http://www.onepiecetravel.com/CULTUR...opher_919.html

Even Meng Zi failed to changes his contemporary world. Even Confusius said, "When nobody believe in me, I'll take a raffle and float on the ocean." We just can't expect ourselves to be able to change those none TCMA guy's mind.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-22-2013 at 06:02 PM.

In my bjj academy we where working a takedown off of the shin bite tech that youknowho posted. Almost the same way he posted it our set up was off a failed uchi mata. The tech works.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maxattck View Post
    In my bjj academy we where working a takedown off of the shin bite tech that youknowho posted. Almost the same way he posted it our set up was off a failed uchi mata. The tech works.
    To use shin bite to set up "leg lift (uchi mata)" or to use "leg lift (uchi mata)" to set up shin bite both apply the same strategy, "Attack one leg to force your opponent to have the whole body weight on the other leg, you then attack the other leg". Those "principle" should be universal without style boundary. The shin bite is just one of many ways to attack one leg.

Here is another example (double leg lift) that apply the same principle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EsHo...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-22-2013 at 06:24 PM.

John, they will never get it, their art is a sport to entertain for fun and a leather snap on belt and bragging rights not for real life or death,
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Here is another example (double leg lift) that apply the same principle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EsHo...ature=youtu.be
    This clip is a valid technique has completely different principles than the unworkable one that you showed (which is why it works).

But feel free to post a clip of you doing what these guys in this clip are doing which is going full force against resisting opponents (which is another reason their technique works and yours doesn't).

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    John, they will never get it, their art is a sport to entertain for fun and a leather snap on belt and bragging rights not for real life or death,
    You have no idea who is fighting for life and death and who is not. But since you bring it up, when's the last time you had to kill someone because you were fighting in a life and death struggle?

You have no idea who is fighting for life and death and who is not. But since you bring it up, when's the last time you had to kill someone because you were fighting in a life and death struggle?
    As a bouncer I'm sure he gets a lil practice. I would hope he never had to kill anybody tho.