Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun use of Fook Sao/u

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    So putting your hands up and hoping you don't get put on your ass is the most effective.

Not exactly my thinking either. I already described my preference, which I've used successfully. It's actually the same approach as from my original base in Songshan Shaolin, of which VT is like a small frame version. Same shapes and ideas.
    Isn't that every bodies hope or are you that good that you don't trouble yourself with getting beat?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    Saying that you may be very fast but you ain't that fast
    Maybe you’re right, but I’m just saying; maybe ones long journey of curiosity could very well turn into this.

Take care,

Hahahaha

It doesn't work. We have tried it. Tan da is not my thinking.
    It doesn't work ! I have nasal injuries to prove it.

90% of everything I knew about wing chun got scrapped the day I turned up at Philipp Bayers school. Fact!
    Likewise and many from other lineages.

Phil,

I didn't go to an MMA guy solely for an opinion. We were sat together and I was flicking through some responses on this forum and I showed him. I share the same opinion as him. Ving Tsun is my bread and butter. I will defend it where I see fit but the truth is most of it is rubbish. My opinion.
    Graham, I'll wager that you're a really nice guy in person. I concede. :-)
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    Graham, I'll wager that you're a really nice guy in person. I concede. :-)
    Aw shucks.
    It's not even valentines day yet.

It doesn't work. We have tried it. Tan da is not my thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    It doesn't work ! I have nasal injuries to prove it.
    Now you two are f33king with us.Your both contradicting yourselfs Graham you say Tan da is not of your thinking ? pls explain as Iam Wsl lineage and we use the Tan da movement with the correct footwork and shifting Ive never had a problem with its function What Tool do you use as a alternative? Why i say both you cats are contradicting yourselfs is the latest video Kevin presented with Your lineage fella Silvano Bonafe at 00.44 His clearly demonstrating Tan da Or is it a punch which you all seem to claim MAKE YOU FREAKING MINDS UP

http://youtu.be/ODmA3MsS9kU

I showed the videos to a friend of mine who is big into MMA and fights out of a local gym to me. His response.......I'd take those guys heads off if they tried that s'""t on me. I would have to agree with him on that one. Sorry boys.
    I thought you saw one MMA fighter get cleaned up outside a pub and that led you to the conclusion that all competitive fighters were clueless? But now this MMA bud of yours is an authority? Conflicted, dude.

90% of everything I knew about wing chun got scrapped the day I turned up at Philipp Bayers school. Fact!
    I doubt anyone else has put out close to as many competitive chi sao vids. Fact!
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by Jansingsang View Post
    Your lineage fella Silvano Bonafe at 00.44 His clearly demonstrating Tan da Or is it a punch which you all seem to claim MAKE YOU FREAKING MINDS UP
    They're only talking about using taan-da against round/hook punches.

You must.. read.. the thread.

Now you two are f33king with us.Your both contradicting yourselfs Graham you say Tan da is not of your thinking ? pls explain as Iam Wsl lineage and we use the Tan da movement with the correct footwork and shifting Ive never had a problem with its function What Tool do you use as a alternative? Why i say both you cats are contradicting yourselfs is the latest video Kevin presented with Your lineage fella Silvano Bonafe at 00.44 His clearly demonstrating Tan da Or is it a punch which you all seem to claim MAKE YOU FREAKING MINDS UP

Thats the best bit about you WSLVT guys.... undying support for eachother... until you realise your different from eachother

Isn't that every bodies hope or are you that good that you don't trouble yourself with getting beat?
    Well sure, but I do think it's intelligent to have certain tools you know will do the job required of them, rather than just saying you'll do whatever and hope it works.

@Jansinsang and the rest-

I've worked out at least for myself why the taan-sau or CK fuk-sau are both likely to fail against round punches, and I believe it is the elbow. These two shapes keep the elbow in and down. Not only do they rely on muscular strength to shut down such a punch, their structure is also collapsible from the front and side against a powerful force because of the elbow being in.

As I explained, my preferred alternative is a wu-sau shape. In wu-sau the elbow moves out, in line with the shoulder. This creates an arch structure that is strong from each side and has better hip connection against round punches. It connects to the far hip, which is compromised if the elbow is in (where taan & CK fuk fail).

I've found this to be an effective alternative. Of course, not chasing the arm, but the center of the movement which happens to be on the arm between the spine and fist. Often this is enough to already affect their balance, at the same time attacking with the other arm straight away.

With the elbow in this position it can also transform to deal with the pressure if it is too strong (another point where taan and CK fuk fail). If caught somewhere further from their elbow on the forearm, it can quickly and easily fold and be replaced with the other hand if they are pressuring across the arm. If more in the elbow it'll roll into bong-sau to yield to their force and send it up and across that way.

Graham, maybe you can get your line of people to try this way out.

What lineage WSLVT? Who is your instructor?

BTW I think you have misinterpreted the posts mate! I don't see many contradictions only the same things explained from different mouths. That's the thing you see. I understand everything Kev writes as he practices the same system as me. I also understand the reasons why nobody else can. That can't be said for the rest of you who are just flailing around in the dark as usual trying to pick holes in things you haven't experienced or know about. All your responses are taken in that context. Most are humorous but in essence totally pointless.

Graham, maybe you can get your line of people to try this way out.
    If your way works for you then fine but I'm not trying out things that I ceased to use 5 years ago for very good reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Thats the best bit about you WSLVT guys.... undying support for eachother... until you realise your different from eachother
    I can only speak for myself and I agree with Kev's ideas on Ving Tsun. I also agree that outside my lineage things are different. I have experienced that first hand.

I respect what LFJ says more then your moribund posts Glenn but I don't have to agree with him if my thinking is a tad different do I?
    Last edited by Graham H; 01-28-2013 at 03:27 AM.