Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Girl'z Got Skillz

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post

The ignorance in this thread is amazing.
    Sure is. Stick to grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Sure is. Stick to grappling.
    In the meantime I will await your clip showing even half of her skills.

Actually, I won't because we know that's impossible.
    Last edited by LaRoux; 02-06-2013 at 07:31 PM.

That chick had great footwork, timing, and awareness of distance.

I challenge anyone here to post a video of themselves going at the same contact level she did against someone 50 lbs heavier and show even half of the skills she showed.
    She had good timing and awareness of distance.

Her footwork was crap and she was lucky the other guy was so slow and didn't know how to take her out when she was teeter-tottering back and forth.

You can get away with that footwork only in karate point sparring where people only throw onesie-twosie type attacks. Bonus points for loud kiai to make the judges think you actually landed.

My students have gone harder against opponents outweighing them by 90 pounds, and they actually used combination attacks and had the other guys repeatedly backed up into the walls. I had to tell one student to ease up. The opponents were blackbelts and had real skill. Not like whatever that guy in the video was doing.

So is that your girlfriend or something?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    She was lucky that her opponent was not good in "foot sweep" and "foot scoop". Bouncing up and down and move in a cirlcle was not very smart. Your opponenct can catch your timing when your feet landed and crossed.
    There's a right and a wrong way to circle.

Yes, she was just lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    My students have gone harder against opponents outweighing them by 90 pounds, and they actually used combination attacks and had the other guys repeatedly backed up into the walls. I had to tell one student to ease up. The opponents were blackbelts and had real skill. Not like whatever that guy in the video was doing.
    Cool. Post it. Should be a simple thing to do, right?

But we know that's not going to happen either don't we? Wouldn't want to have people see what they actually look like outside of your hyperbole.

Cool. Post it. Should be a simple thing to do, right?

But we know that's not going to happen either don't we? Wouldn't want to have people see what they actually look like outside of your hyperbole.
    I've posted videos of my students before.

I didn't video when he went to the other school to spar as a guest. Kind of not cool unless ok'd in advance. And I wasn't going to put people on the spot.

Doesn't matter anyway since you're just trolling.

I had to tell one student to ease up. The opponents were blackbelts and had real skill.
    That was his first time sparring outside of our group too. He sparred everyone there including the teacher. I had to remind him to be polite since we were guests and wanted to be able to go back regularly.

So was that you and your gf in that video?

Blog Entries
    There's a right and a wrong way to circle.

Yes, she was just lucky.
    As long as she always moved her back leg first, her feet and her opponent's body were always on a straight line, she would be OK. At 1.54, her right leg was on the left of her left leg. It only took her one "cross legs", her stand up game would be over.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Judo+...2F%3B776%3B940

Of course if her opponent didn't know "foot sweep", she would be OK.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-06-2013 at 11:20 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    As long as she always moved her back leg first, her feet and her opponent's body were always on a straight line, she would be OK. At 1.54, her right leg was on the left of her left leg. It only took her one "cross legs", her stand up game would be over.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Judo+...2F%3B776%3B940

Of course if her opponent didn't know "foot sweep", she would be OK.
    You don't know much about distancing, do you?

So was that you and your gf in that video?
    Just a clip I came across of some chick who has obvious skills to anyone who has actually ever don't full contact fighting before.

I've posted videos of my students before.
    Great. Then you can post them again. We can compare them to the girl and see how bad she is compared to them.

That chick had great footwork, timing, and awareness of distance.

I challenge anyone here to post a video of themselves going at the same contact level she did against someone 50 lbs heavier and show even half of the skills she showed.
    I might have trouble on that score - I'm a large guy and even now that I'm starting to get back into fighting shape I'll still weigh in north of 250.

But that means I also know first-hand how much of an advantage weight gives in a match. I've beat more skillful opponents by dint of

1. Not being hurt by their best strikes.
    2. Being able to rush and crowd them without worrying about getting knocked down.
    3. Being able to land hits from way outside of my opponent's range.

When I said that fight was not fair to either party I wasn't criticizing the woman's skills. I was just pointing out that the reality is training only takes you so far - a weight and reach advantage, combined with even average skill, can make a challenging opponent for basically anyone.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

she does have skills to be sure, but if any of you think that was anything other than friendly sparring, you are deluded, or her opponent is dense. or both.

4:40 he could have easily stepped in and dropped a knee onto her face/neck and ended everything.

i'm not taking away from her skills in the slightest the girl has them. but that was in no way a real fight or a full contact sparring match. it was a friendly sparring match with editing.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.