Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post

In short, MMA is being shown to be THE MA and TMA are being shown to be "old", "antiquated" and worse, "obsolete".
I feel like we are seeing more traditional guys fighting, (and winning) nowadays, though. If you spar hard, condition and drill it with a partner, (traditional training), the traditional arts will work for you. If not they won't. Basically everyone here who fights agrees with that, and probably a bunch who don't fight.

I'm optimistic that mma will be good for tma in the end. If it forces schools to go back to the root of martial arts, being able to fight for real, then maybe it will save tma from itself.

I think we are going to see more and more fighters from traditional backgrounds and I won't be sad at all if the LARPing schools go down; and those that train for real survive. I may be crazy, but I think eventually there will be a well understood distinction between combat oriented schools and those that just babysit kids and do dress-up exercise. Those schools won't be able to pass themselves off as "teaching combat" anymore...at least in the future I envision.