Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Stance Training

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Problems with this one. No real evidence for an Indian origin to Chinese martial arts
    Chinese Martial Arts (Kung Fu) was certainly around before the Indian religious influences.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post

5) there is a rich history in TCMA of basically teaching BS to "outsiders"; so frankly when the first thing that everyone learns is stance training, and if we apply some COMMON SENSE to it as I have above, it doesn't take a ot to put two and two together and consider that perhaps stance training was a means more of a smoke screen to weed out newbies, especially those from other schools who may have been there to steal ur stuff...
    the funniest thing about this is how few people want to believe it to be true...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. The second greatest trick was convincing us to fall for the smoke and mirrors in traditional styles...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Zhan zhuang develops structural integrity, mental/intestinal fortitude, physical endurance, balance, flexibility, mind and breath control (god forbid anyone mentioning qi cultivation on a kungfu forum!) You can practice kungfu without stance training if you like but it is one of the foundations. Besides, it’s helps your nuts grow and weeds out whining shortcut taking pussies.

A great tool, particularly at the elementary level.

Quote Originally Posted by B.Tunks View Post
    Besides, it’s helps your nuts grow and weeds out whining shortcut taking pussies.
    Quoted for Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    It's sport specific:

If it's not part of your sport, don't do it. It's just one aspect, and that being get lower than the other guy's center of gravity.
    its not sports specific unless you are doing it under conditions that stimulate said sport which int this case would mean doing it with external resistance to test your structure and also moving and not holding it statically for periods of time

The chen guys develop a base with low static postures and then learn the form. Ever see how low those guys get?

The chen guys develop a base with low static postures and then learn the form. Ever see how low those guys get?
    ever see how low a russian wrestler can get when he goes for an ankle pick? or a head and arm throw? Or when countering his oponent?

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    ever see how low a russian wrestler can get when he goes for an ankle pick? or a head and arm throw? Or when countering his oponent?
    It doesn't matter - if your form of martial larping is Chen or tai chi and push hands is your game, you should do stance training. If your larping style is Sambo or wrestling, then you'll probably wall sit, and not do stance training.

Horse stance seems pretty relevant to me. If you don't put in the stance work then your endurance suffers. Granted, power/strength training is also extremely relevant but I feel both should be worked on. Below is a bjj video dealing with the bear hug. Notice the horse stance. If you're locked up with a game opponent and you have no endurance then your legs will turn to jello pretty fast.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=GombZ...%3DGombZMP87wM

It doesn't matter - if your form of martial larping is Chen or tai chi and push hands is your game, you should do stance training. If your larping style is Sambo or wrestling, then you'll probably wall sit, and not do stance training.
    so stance work is only really good if you do chen ai chi then??

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    Horse stance seems pretty relevant to me. If you don't put in the stance work then your endurance suffers. Granted, power/strength training is also extremely relevant but I feel both should be worked on. Below is a bjj video dealing with the bear hug. Notice the horse stance. If you're locked up with a game opponent and you have no endurance then your legs will turn to jello pretty fast.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=GombZ...%3DGombZMP87wM
    it builds endurance in a stance position only, where as other training will build it in both static and dynamic ways (say repeatly defending the bearhug for example) and also allow you to practise a specific skills...which is the better use of time

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    so stance work is only really good if you do chen ai chi then??
    It's probably good in a lot of cases but no matter what someone brings up, you'll have your preconceived notions as to why it's not good - so at this point it's pointless to bring up anything more.

IMO it's especially relevant to Tai Chi, Chen in particular. Not so relevant in other styles unless they favor low stances in their applications.

It's probably good in a lot of cases but no matter what someone brings up, you'll have your preconceived notions as to why it's not good - so at this point it's pointless to bring up anything more.

IMO it's especially relevant to Tai Chi, Chen in particular. Not so relevant in other styles unless they favor low stances in their applications.
    See my hung gar uses very low stances and developes it through forms and application drills more so that static stances