Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: About the importance of niem lik

He is, the data is force rise from ground. How force rise or flow from the leg to hand. Wcners who practice slt and ck develop that type of snake body or snake engine.

There is Hawkins Cheung talking on snake body, now Lui Ming Fei shows it in the lab. Me or not doesn't matter, it is the WCK snake engine. In fact, it doesn't have to be me. WCK is WCK. Unless one is not doing WCK.

Quote Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    Yes, yes, yes, machines, labs, physics etc. But he's not doing your interpretation of snake engine. Got NOTHING to do with you. Whether his "engine" works or not got NOTHING to do with whether your engine works or not. If you want to support your theories with data the "scientific" way then use yourself/your engine as test subject, not someone else's on a youtube clip that's not your.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 03-09-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Yes, yes, yes, machines, labs, physics etc. But he's not doing your interpretation of snake engine. Got NOTHING to do with you. Whether his "engine" works or not got NOTHING to do with whether your engine works or not. If you want to support your theories with data the "scientific" way then use yourself/your engine as test subject, not someone else's on a youtube clip that's not your.
    EXACTLY!

He cherry picks any old thing he finds and uses it as his "data"

Its like me researching elephants and using David Attenborough documentaries as my source!

Another interesting paper on developing power through the mind. Related to Nim Lik as well? May be yes, may be no?

http://lecerveau.mcgill.ca/flash/cap...g_strength.pdf

And hey, this one is SCIENTIFIC and supported with DATA, Glenn!
    Just saw this John.

Havent read it yet but this appears to be proper research.

You see this Hendrik????

Its a REAL study

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    EXACTLY!

He cherry picks any old thing he finds and uses it as his "data"

Its like me researching elephants and using David Attenborough documentaries as my source!
    Glenn, he's using David Attenborough as proof to his theory on Unicorns.
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

thats a good find imperialtaichi. going to have to study this one carefully.

Thanks

6. Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    He is, the data is force rise from ground. How force rise or flow from the leg to hand. Wcners who practice slt and ck develop that type of snake body or snake engine.

There is Hawkins Cheung talking on snake body, now Lui Ming Fei shows it in the lab. Me or not doesn't matter, it is the WCK snake engine. In fact, it doesn't have to be me. WCK is WCK. Unless one is not doing WCK.

So?

that's the purpose of some who call it niem lik and long brige energy, you call it snake energy, I call it Octopus mighty potato powaaa...

Who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    this is actually a well-described phenomenon; not only can u gain strength, u can increase flexibility as well as decrease pain with this sort of thing; the classic study of this sort of thing was with foul-shot throwing: a no-practice, a practice and a visualization group; the visualization group did almost as well as the practice post-test;

there is a lot of material of this nature here:
    http://www.totalmotionrelease.com/researcharticles.html
    When it comes to practice vs visualization, practice makes up at least 90% of skill. Visualization is a very minimal part of any kind of skill or strength related activity.
    Last edited by LaRoux; 03-10-2013 at 08:43 PM.

North American Journal of Psychology, 2007, Vol. 9, No. 1 189-200
    Mind Over Matter: Mental Training Increases Physical Strength
    Erin M. Shackell and Lionel G. Standing
    Bishop's University
    This study tested whether mental training alone can produce a gain in muscular strength. Thirty male university athletes, including football, basketball and rugby players, were randomly assigned to perform mental training of their hip flexor muscles, to use weight machines to physically exercise their hip flexors, or to form a control group which received neither mental nor physical training. The hip strength of each group was
    measured before and after training. Physical strength was increased by 24% through mental practice (p = .008). Strength was also increased through physical training, by 28%, but did not change significantly in the control condition. The strength gain was greatest among the football players given mental training. Mental and physical training produced similar decreases in heart rate, and both yielded a marginal reduction in systolic blood pressure. The results support the related findings of Ranganathan, Siemionow, Liu, Sahgal, and Yue (2004).

----------
    PHYS THER
    Vol. 85, No. 10, October 2005, pp. 1053-1060

Can Mental Practice Increase Ankle Dorsiflexor Torque?

Ben Sidaway and Amy (Robinson) Trzaska
    B Sidaway, PT, PhD, is Professor, Department of Physical Therapy, Husson College, One College Cir, Bangor, ME 04401 (USA)
    A Trzaska, PT, MPT, is Physical Therapist, Family Practice Center, Portland, Me. She was a student in the Department of Physical Therapy, Husson College, during data collection

Submitted September 27, 2004; Accepted March 22, 2005

Background and Purpose. Mental practice has been shown to beeffective in increasing the force production of the abductordigiti minimi muscle in the hand. The aim of this study wasto determine whether mental practice could produce strengthgains in the larger ankle dorsiflexor muscles, which are importantduring walking. Subjects. Twenty-four subjects were randomlyassigned to a physical practice group, a mental practice group,or a control group (8 subjects per group). Methods. In the practicegroups, subjects either physically or mentally practiced producingmaximal isometric contractions for 3 sets of 10 repetitions,3 times per week for 4 weeks. Changes in mean peak isometrictorque normalized to body weight and the resulting percentageof improvement were analyzed across the 3 groups. Results. Differencesin raw torque production after training in the 2 practice groupsresulted in significant percentages of improvement for the physicalpractice group (25.28%) and the mental practice group (17.13%),but not for the control group (–1.77%). The 2 practicegroups were not statistically different in their maximal torque-generatingcapacity after training. Discussion and Conclusion. These findingsshow that mental practice in people without impairments canlead to an increase in torque production similar to that producedby physical practice. Such a technique may prove to be a usefuladjunct to traditional treatment options aimed at increasingmuscle strength.

------
    Res Q Exerc Sport. 2008 Sep;79(3):385-91.

Beating the bunker: the effect of PETTLEP imagery on golf bunker shot performance.

Smith D, Wright CJ, Cantwell C.
    Department of Sport and Exercise Psychology, Manchester Metropolitan University, UK.

The aim of this study was to compare the effects of physical practice with PETTLEP-based (Physical, Environment, Task, Timing, Learning, Emotion and Perspective; Holmes & Collins, 2001) imagery and PETTLEP + physical practice interventions on golf bunker shot performance. Thirty-two male county- or international-level golfers were assigned to one of four groups; PETTLEP imagery, physical practice, PETTLEP + physical practice, or control. The PETTLEP imagery group imaged 15 bunker shots, their interventions incorporating PETTLEP components, such as physical, environment, and emotion, twice a week. The physical practice group physically performed their 15 bunker shots twice per week; the PETTLEP + physical practice group performed PETTLEP imagery once per week and physical practice once per week. Each group performed their respective tasks for 6 weeks. Pre- and posttests consisted of 15 bunker shots, with points awarded according to the ball proximity to the pin. All groups improved significantly (p < .01) from pre- to posttest, and the PETTLEP + physical practice group improved more (p < .05) than the PETTLEP and physical practice groups. However, there was no significant difference between the physical practice and PETTLEP groups (p > .05). Findings, therefore, support the effectiveness of PETTLEP in enhancing golf performance, especially when combined with physical practice.
    So TST is onto something then......... you read that Hendrik??

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    When it comes to practice vs visualization, practice makes up at least 90% of skill. Visualization is a very minimal part of any kind of skill or strength related activity.
    Sorry pal but there is a wealth of research material undertaken by real, creditable scientists that says otherwise, an example of which was given above.
    The challenge is that to make visualisation work you need to be trained in how to do it by someone who knows what they are doing and then it takes practice and perseverence, it isn't as simple as closing you eyes and seeing yourself doing something.
    A clever man learns from his mistakes but a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Wing Chun kung fu in Redditch
    Worcestershire Wing Chun Kuen on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by wingchunIan View Post
    Sorry pal but there is a wealth of research material undertaken by real, creditable scientists that says otherwise, an example of which was given above.
    The challenge is that to make visualisation work you need to be trained in how to do it by someone who knows what they are doing and then it takes practice and perseverence, it isn't as simple as closing you eyes and seeing yourself doing something.
    Hmmmm, How about sorry pal read the above post by tgy!

I doubt many would argue against practice makes perfect, but in the above test it is pretty clear that 24% improvement from people not trained according to your standards is pretty significant, don't you think?

based on the above studies and others (I didn't list all the ones, just three that made the point most obviously), it seems that visualization of a non-trained nature did almost as well as practice, but that the trained visualization was as good as physical practice;

anecdotally, Jim Thorpe reportedly would use visualization to a great degree to achieve high performance levels, even those that he hadn't done previously - there's one story when, on a boat on the way to some competition, he was sitting deep in thought, someone asked him what he was doing, he replied something like, "training to break my record for the high jump" (something to that effect - I'm paraphrasing)

this is not to say that you can "think" yourself strong / skilled enough to do anything without ever doing any physical practice, but the impact of visualization is not insignificant...
    Well, I have used this method myself numerous times with very good effect.

And of course, I have no formal magical training either!

based on the above studies and others (I didn't list all the ones, just three that made the point most obviously), it seems that visualization of a non-trained nature did almost as well as practice, but that the trained visualization was as good as physical practice;

anecdotally, Jim Thorpe reportedly would use visualization to a great degree to achieve high performance levels, even those that he hadn't done previously - there's one story when, on a boat on the way to some competition, he was sitting deep in thought, someone asked him what he was doing, he replied something like, "training to break my record for the high jump" (something to that effect - I'm paraphrasing)

this is not to say that you can "think" yourself strong / skilled enough to do anything without ever doing any physical practice, but the impact of visualization is not insignificant...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True and proven.
    Originally Posted by imperialtaichi View Post
    Another interesting paper on developing power through the mind. Related to Nim Lik as well? May be yes, may be no?

http://lecerveau.mcgill.ca/flash/cap...g_strength.pdf

Some of the other researchers listed in the literature review section of the paper-pointing to similar findings-were/are members of the kinesiology department at my university- Arizona State.
    Landers has done much empirical research on sports psychology.That department has been one of the top 3 in the country. Gary Krahenbuhl also has shown empirically why excellence in one sport does not lead to excellence in other sports. That is where Jim Thorpe was so exceptionally amazing.
    Jordan despite his efforts did not make it in baseball or even golf.

One of the first consistent field goal kickers kicking soccer style (University of Oklahoma) practiced a combination of meditation and visualization.

Jim Thorpe was simply incredible and amazing.

"Wing Chun is a bell that appears when rung.

In one hand you preach MMA, in one hand you preach day dream

Here is onto something too
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROdgeF0d6Ho

Sorry, no Niem Lik in physics lab even with top taiji master in china.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLmWyYs8Hu0

Last edited by Hendrik; 03-11-2013 at 10:22 AM.

In one hand you preach MMA, in one hand you preach day dream
    No, im a martial arsist and, unlike you, actually practice what i preach and i only preach what i SEE work.

I'll ask you once again, youre happy to belittle TST but can you do what he can.
    That is, being 80yo and being able to produce the poer and control that he does?

Well can you??

He DOES something.... what can you do ??

Here is onto something too
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROdgeF0d6Ho

Sorry, no Niem Lik in physics lab even with top taiji master in china.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLmWyYs8Hu0
    You are a dead set idiot

John and others have put up proper scientific reports in the field of visualisation (incidentally, i bet you didnt read them) which have been done in an internationally accepted standard.... even chinese scientists would adhere the the methods shown.... and you put up youtube clips from a TV show!!!!

Personally, i think you should be bannned using the term scientific, as you just dont seem to have any grasp on what it is and how it is used to prove/disprove things.

Youtube cllips are not science!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, i guess robinhood will jump in with some nonsense as well now