Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
There's a McDonalds virtually anywhere in the world. That in itself shows that there's no longer going to be good old world wars. It's all economics and corporations now, and with the exception of China, economics and corporations aren't really nationalistic. They're equal opportunity oppressors.
Globalization pretty much ends some problems and creates some more. It depends what you want, I guess. The US says they abhor kings yet they are acting very similar to the way the "Republicans" were acting when Caesar fed them their asses before the collapse. Actually it was people like Marius and the brothers Grachii that really paved the way for that confrontation though. Anyways, it's sad to see a country who has wonderful words on wonderful monuments that say things like

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Then they go and polarize like they are now. And dragging us down with them. Not to say we aren't accountable. The mob is waking up, this may get pretty ugly. If we want to learn from history we need to understand that this never goes well.

It's just so sad to see the very principles that made North America special being disregarded.