Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Keysi Fighting Method?

Keysi MMA

This is interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkzFkN2FO3U

Whatever happened to the official KFM website? With Jack Reacher, Batman, and the M.I. Series, seems like interest in the method would pick up. Heck, I'd be interested in a seminar or something, just can't seem to find solid info about it in the States.

lol I remember back in the day these guys chased my coach repeatedly asking for private mms and groundwork training he wasn't interested looking at this poor posture in guard elbows to the legs and stomach they still need lessons
    Ita the usual trying to look unique and special to attract those who don't actually want to do mma because its too hard but still want to say they train the realz ground that works on the streets

And here the issue with that clip:
    The gut on the bottom is NOT countering.
    It's all well and good to show elbows with "keysi-flavour" in the guard but none of what they showed is actually "new" for anyone that has taken basic MMA.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Man I just don't hate on the Keysi like you guys do. Sure they look a little crazy, and probably are just a bit nuts, but their methodology and training methods are actually pretty sound. They incorporate contact and pressure from the get go, keep tight hands and protect their heads, and promote aggressiveness and fitness.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Man I just don't hate on the Keysi like you guys do. Sure they look a little crazy, and probably are just a bit nuts, but their methodology and training methods are actually pretty sound. They incorporate contact and pressure from the get go, keep tight hands and protect their heads, and promote aggressiveness and fitness.
    They have some good stuff dude, I don't think anyone is hating on them.
    It's just nothing new and most of us have seen "it" before.
    I personally use some of their stuff.
    Here is a question though:
    Have you ever seen it done VS a guy that is fighting back?

Be fair im the only one hating on them, ronin simply provided sound critism

Heres the thing they are teaching MMA without ever putting in any fighter of note anywhere, they are making money off MMA without really testing their methods in that environment, that just annoys me, their ground work wouldn’t work like that against an opponent actually breaking their posture, climbing guard etc, its MMA lite, just as their comb the hair defense doesn’t work the way they teach it against a half decent opponent, and its NOT the same as crazy monkey, that has been tested and proved to work in MMA, what they do hasn’t and yet they are on the band wagon

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    They have some good stuff dude, I don't think anyone is hating on them.
    It's just nothing new and most of us have seen "it" before.
    I personally use some of their stuff.
    Here is a question though:
    Have you ever seen it done VS a guy that is fighting back?
    No - but that's true of oh so many things in all martial arts. Actually I've never seen Keysi in person. It has very little penetration in the US. I think it's the hair thing, they're always messing up their hair. Plus the disco tech, Americans don't like disco tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Be fair im the only one hating on them, ronin simply provided sound critism

Heres the thing they are teaching MMA without ever putting in any fighter of note anywhere, they are making money off MMA without really testing their methods in that environment, that just annoys me, their ground work wouldn’t work like that against an opponent actually breaking their posture, climbing guard etc, its MMA lite, just as their comb the hair defense doesn’t work the way they teach it against a half decent opponent, and its NOT the same as crazy monkey, that has been tested and proved to work in MMA, what they do hasn’t and yet they are on the band wagon
    Everything you say is true, but...

I always look for takeaways when looking at other martial arts. What they do that I like is keep the hands and forearms tight and in motion. Plus they do a lot of pressure drilling (at least in the videos). As far as this technique being taught as MMA... I'm ok with it. I haven't done MMA, but I've done no-gi and I've come to realize that there's a lot more leeway in no-gi. A sweaty spazz is hard to grapple cleanly with.

That's why I tell my kung fu purist friends there's really only a very few techniques that you really have to know.

No - but that's true of oh so many things in all martial arts. Actually I've never seen Keysi in person. It has very little penetration in the US. I think it's the hair thing, they're always messing up their hair. Plus the disco tech, Americans don't like disco tech.
    I have no doubt THAT is the reason.

Don't get me wrong, there is lots of good in the KFM, like I said I borrowed some of their stuff myself.
    AT times they look like they leave too much of their body open but because they tend to work "under the shoulders" ( lower center than their opponent), it isn't as much f an issues as it is in "crazy monkey" boxing.

I have no doubt THAT is the reason.

Don't get me wrong, there is lots of good in the KFM, like I said I borrowed some of their stuff myself.
    AT times they look like they leave too much of their body open but because they tend to work "under the shoulders" ( lower center than their opponent), it isn't as much f an issues as it is in "crazy monkey" boxing.
    Crazy Monkey doesn't have enough penetration in the US either. I've always liked everything Rodney puts out there for the general public.

Crazy Monkey doesn't have enough penetration in the US either. I've always liked everything Rodney puts out there for the general public.
    Its had a fair showing at the amateur level, SBG guys used it before the split, in the UK in the early days you saw a lot of it. In the pro levels not so much because they have the time, and skill level to develop an attribute style game, but you do see it in pro level but its normally used as part of the defense if they get in close at that level not the primarily defense.
    In fact this is how it seems to have evolved in Rodney’s thinking originally it was CM structure all the time, now it seems to be CM structure when in close, or when in trouble. I suppose that’s the main difference CM was born for MMA and evolved as it was used in MMA, KFM was born for the streetz and has never really been tested and thus not evolved

As a trade-off I prefer the crazy monkey leaving the body open to the whole go low KFM thing and elbow the legs…crazy monkey allows you to set up power shots, defend the shot and move around more freely

As a trade-off I prefer the crazy monkey leaving the body open to the whole go low KFM thing and elbow the legs…crazy monkey allows you to set up power shots, defend the shot and move around more freely
    Being short I am already "low" so...LOL !
    The kali influence of "defang the snake" is very much there.

Being short I am already "low" so...LOL !
    The kali influence of "defang the snake" is very much there.
    Yung ling has a similar approach to hitting and hurting the limbs, as does our systems hung gar (my sife likes to hit a low stance and punch and elbow the legs and hips that sucks ….. I see the value especially if you really don’t want to hurt the guy (or have a weapon) but prefer the bakkmei method (and the CM way) of simply hitting the guy in the head and going straight down the centre but that’s just me

As an aside my boxing coach teaches a very similar high guard to CM, especially when in close and trading shots: gloves just above the eyebrows forearms resting on the body butt tucked under to close off the body shot, works well with big 14oz gloves but for MMA I still prefer level changing to defend the body shot lol

Yung ling has a similar approach to hitting and hurting the limbs, as does our systems hung gar (my sife likes to hit a low stance and punch and elbow the legs and hips that sucks ….. I see the value especially if you really don’t want to hurt the guy (or have a weapon) but prefer the bakkmei method (and the CM way) of simply hitting the guy in the head and going straight down the centre but that’s just me

As an aside my boxing coach teaches a very similar high guard to CM, especially when in close and trading shots: gloves just above the eyebrows forearms resting on the body butt tucked under to close off the body shot, works well with big 14oz gloves but for MMA I still prefer level changing to defend the body shot lol
    I tend to use "limb destruction" when I wanna make a point and used it a bit when bouncing and it ended a few confrontations without have to KO anyone.
    The tricky part is, as always, how fast the limbs are coming at you and that is why you don't see it that much at the higher levels ( limbs coming in too fast).
    I agree with the level change to defend the body.
    The dragon style of doing it ( along with snake and SPM) tend to angle and "zig-zag" a lot so it kind of fits well in those systems.

I tend to use "limb destruction" when I wanna make a point and used it a bit when bouncing and it ended a few confrontations without have to KO anyone.
    The tricky part is, as always, how fast the limbs are coming at you and that is why you don't see it that much at the higher levels ( limbs coming in too fast).
    I agree with the level change to defend the body.
    The dragon style of doing it ( along with snake and SPM) tend to angle and "zig-zag" a lot so it kind of fits well in those systems.
    Yep that’s why at higher levels the only limb destruction you see is the thigh kick lol
    Not done SPM but dragon zig-zag coupled with extensive use of the hammer fist (and upwards and dowards stamping fists) makes hitting the limbs, (upper and lower) easier, of course bak mei’s method of just taking the guys head out of the equation is also useful sometimes
    Of course the dragon way can equally be taking the head off as it can be hitting the incoming limb