Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stick drilling vs stick fighting: is there a connection?

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    My money is on the one with the machine gun.

Not to cross threads, but I see the ritual of forms here as well.

Lastly, did Gene sell them their head gear?
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

D@mn those dudes hit hard!

I think it was Burton Richardson that went to somewhere in Africa and learned their stick fighting art. It was in one of his youtube videos.
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

There's a couple places I could think of where I might want some more of that armor, if I were one of them. Just my observation.

Unless I wasn't paying enough attention, it seems like they don't block. They mostly just try to evade or get the stronger hit in. Those dudes can sure take a beating though..
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    Unless I wasn't paying enough attention, it seems like they don't block. They mostly just try to evade or get the stronger hit in. Those dudes can sure take a beating though..

I noticed one man using the stick horizontally to trap his opponents stick...and yeah...I'd want a cup on...
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Looks a little like Praying Mantis 6 Harmonies Staff.

Stick drilling vs stick fighting: is there a connection ?

Quote Originally Posted by SavvySavage View Post
    1)This first video is drilling. It looks very nice but eventually you can see the patterns they are making over and over again during each different drill.
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=wYYIn...%3DwYYIn6OeBdw

2)This is a stick fighting tournament. When I look at the fights I can't see a connection between the drilling from the first video in relation with the fighting. They seem to just be whacking each other at weird angles while fighting.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tQQ_w67yqz8

What's the point of the first video? Wouldn't it be more efficient to just practice whacking each other fast and at weird angles and evading the other persons attack? The first video seems like a waste. Where am I going wrong?
    SavvySavage , subitai is right about the videos you provided on your topic post , to me it really goes both ways . Ofcoarse the idea is to whack the opponent to disarm the opponent right ? But the opponent going be doing the samething as you so its' a challenge . So experiencing stick fighting is how you can figure out , how to battle your opponent . You see we can all get 2 - sticks and attack the opponent with both sticks right ? Your opponent going be defending himself against you and you going be doing the samething as your opponent so that ' s where the challenge is , when you experience stick fighting then , you ' ll know how to defeat your opponent .

Lance

Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    SavvySavage , subitai is right about the videos you provided on your topic post , to me it really goes both ways . Ofcoarse the idea is to whack the opponent to disarm the opponent right ? But the opponent going be doing the samething as you so its' a challenge . So experiencing stick fighting is how you can figure out , how to battle your opponent . You see we can all get 2 - sticks and attack the opponent with both sticks right ? Your opponent going be defending himself against you and you going be doing the samething as your opponent so that ' s where the challenge is , when you experience stick fighting then , you ' ll know how to defeat your opponent .

Lance
    So learn to attack first, learn to attack fast....and skip the drills in the first video I posted?

Quote Originally Posted by SavvySavage View Post
    1)This first video is drilling. It looks very nice but eventually you can see the patterns they are making over and over again during each different drill.
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=wYYIn...%3DwYYIn6OeBdw

2)This is a stick fighting tournament. When I look at the fights I can't see a connection between the drilling from the first video in relation with the fighting. They seem to just be whacking each other at weird angles while fighting.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tQQ_w67yqz8

What's the point of the first video? Wouldn't it be more efficient to just practice whacking each other fast and at weird angles and evading the other persons attack? The first video seems like a waste. Where am I going wrong?
    Drilling is usually a first step in any sport, where you do the individual components then over time actually test the level of skill against a similar opponent. I think that a lot of people confuse CMA ritual with other ritual types and this confuses people. Just like the Mongol or Uzbeks who, as part of their heritage do the various horseback "tricks", which ere actually part of the horde tactics since today the horde is no more. A past tradition relegated to what we see in NatGeo or some anthropological film. Even buskazi (polo) as game, shows skill still retained as part of competition and friendly sportsmanship.

Blog Entries
    Your training can start from

1. the root (drills) and go to the leaves (fighting).
    2. both the root and the leaves at the same time.
    3. the leaves and go to the root.

Since method 2 only takes 1/2 as much time as the other 2 methods, it's better method IMO.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 06-01-2013 at 02:21 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by Kymus View Post
    ur not paying enough attention.
    Last edited by bawang; 06-02-2013 at 08:34 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

ur not paying enough attention.
    Thanks for that clarification, Bawang!