Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing vs. TCMA

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    I just don't see the similarities that Frost and Bawang emphasizing.
    because its a form. do u also think u fight in a horse stance lolz

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Greetings,

The guy wearing the gray shirt in the CLF clip was using Western boxing. He wasn't that great with it but he was getting over. I find nothing wrong with that. But why attend a TCMA if you are not going to integrate what you have or immerse yourself in the teachings, especially with the fighting. I think that TCMA in this country will re examine western boxing and find that the benefit of real time training will actually improve their traditional techniques.

mickey

Everything is Kung Fu.

I think John is talking about the difference between boxing and 'bridge fighting' or chinese boxing, or short armed southern TCMA, Dirty Boxing, 52 or whatever....

Bawang, you don't have a clue about bridge fighting it appears. You never chamber your fist and you keep your arms in front of you. Once your engage, you stay connected
    The striking hand becomes the grabbing hand, the rotation of the pull drives the corresponding strike, and on and on. You attack the balance and defence posture as well as the targets you expose.

Remember the Gracie rule, "If someone wants to strike you, or someone wants to grab you, the grabber will win." Nothing about going to ground, just engaging.

If you are doing that, it doesn't mean you don't have to skip the big boxing 4, but they just become less important. IMHO.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    I think John is talking about the difference between boxing and 'bridge fighting' or chinese boxing, or short armed southern TCMA, Dirty Boxing, 52 or whatever....
    northern kung fu doesn't bridge. there is no word for bridge. there is no drill depicting a bridge.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    northern kung fu doesn't bridge. there is no word for bridge. there is no drill depicting a bridge.
    The longfist "采手(Cai Shou) - change blocking into grabbing" and the praying mantis 钩搂采手(Gou Lou Cai Shou) are both bridging.

I just used "bridging" not too long ago.

- I punched.
    - my opponent blocked.
    - My punching hand became 钩手(Gou Shou) and grabbed on his wrist. My non-punching hand became 搂手(Lou Shou) and grabbed on his elbow.

Because my opponent's blocking, I can sense where is arm was. I "slided my arm along his arm" and reached to his wrist. That's "bridging" by my definition.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-31-2013 at 06:32 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post

Because my opponent's blocking, I can sense where is arm was. I "slided my arm along his arm" and reached to his wrist. That's "bridging" by my definition.
    dat call rassling

you said kung fu is not just pull your arm back like jab cross. you said why kung fu doesn't have jab cross combo, it should make into a form. I posted shaolin 24 cannon. 24 jab cross combos. I never argue unless i have proof. it is over. lolz
    Last edited by bawang; 07-31-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    dat call rassling
    Now, si dai, you're getting the good oil, and ignoring it. You're trying to take something you don't know and put it into something you do know...

Mor que? Soi que? Larm Da? Doesn't one of those have something to do with 'bridge' in canto (excuse the poor transliteration).

Trapping is not quite grappling, but stickier than boxing. A lot like checking. People make the mistake of trapping and fighting arms instead of trapping and attacking the target, and that makes it look benign sometimes . Its also made more difficult by gloves.

Its not universal in all TCMA, and of those that use it, some do more than others. Wing chun is the easiest to see, but not the be all and end all by any stretch of the imagination. I'm more familiar with the Pak Mei and SPM styles. CLF has a bit too, but to my mind, more smashing bridges than building them.

I think its got to do with the Hakka arts. Not the chubby drunks from up north.
    Last edited by Yum Cha; 07-31-2013 at 09:50 PM.
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

Bawang,
    The reason I quoted Gracie is because if you can find common ground amongst diverse points of view and strategic perspectives, it generally indicates a good idea.

Like watching Ali settle into triangle footwork and root when he delivers big body shots to Foreman. Keeping his heels firmly planted.

All roads lead to the same mountain top.....

Bridge fighting is a paradigm shift in combat.
    It comes down to this. given the luxury of being able to face off, as opposed to having to recover from a surprise attack, its like a blade fight. It only takes one good cut, you engineer access and you cut. There is no defence, only another opportunity for access. If it doesn't work, you do it again. Bridge, to distraction/light damage and balance attack, to big hit on a soft spot. 3 strikes - and you know the significance of '4'.
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

The guy wearing the gray shirt in the CLF clip was using Western boxing. He wasn't that great with it but he was getting over. I find nothing wrong with that. But why attend a TCMA if you are not going to integrate what you have or immerse yourself in the teachings, especially with the fighting. I think that TCMA in this country will re examine western boxing and find that the benefit of real time training will actually improve their traditional techniques.

mickey
    hang on a minute
    I posted CLF has the same punches as boxing and can look similar then post a training clip from a well-known CLF school and you are arguing one of the guys in the clip is doing a bad imitation of boxing…cant you see the irony there?
    What about the guy he is sparring, simply because his footwork isn’t as fast its NOT boxing then?? what about phillip Ngs clip at 2.55 mark where he is showing footwork is that boxing or CLF??………or the other 6 or so guys also sparring what art are they doing…..
    Last edited by Frost; 08-01-2013 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    Now, si dai, you're getting the good oil, and ignoring it. You're trying to take something you don't know and put it into something you do know...

Mor que? Soi que? Larm Da? Doesn't one of those have something to do with 'bridge' in canto (excuse the poor transliteration).

Trapping is not quite grappling, but stickier than boxing. A lot like checking. People make the mistake of trapping and fighting arms instead of trapping and attacking the target, and that makes it look benign sometimes . Its also made more difficult by gloves.

Its not universal in all TCMA, and of those that use it, some do more than others. Wing chun is the easiest to see, but not the be all and end all by any stretch of the imagination. I'm more familiar with the Pak Mei and SPM styles. CLF has a bit too, but to my mind, more smashing bridges than building them.

I think its got to do with the Hakka arts. Not the chubby drunks from up north.
    And you are also taking something out of context, when Bawang responds to john and says its wrestling that’s because it is from their perspective, bridging as you describe it is a uniquely southern/hakka thing so whilst Bawang is turning something he doenst know into something he does (in your words), so are you, john is a northern longfist and mantis person and a grappler I think the only southern art he has done is a little wing chun so it would be gripping from a grappling thowing perspective rather than a bridging to hit art for him wouldn’t it??
    Last edited by Frost; 08-01-2013 at 12:46 AM.

Greetings,

Frost,

I only mentioned that person. No one else was doing that. Instead of looking at him, I focussed on the others. Yes, the punches can look similar. I believe as one looks to develop speed and power in their techniques, one will find considerable overlap simply because of the biomechanics of movement.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 08-01-2013 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    TCMA is more than just a striking art. You can use your punch to set up many thing. Those are not a boxer's concern.
    For sure. TCMA isn't a tight regulated sport like boxing. It takes on many different colors and coats and what's inside a tcma style changes from style to style.

Boxing, you'll get pretty much the same curriculum wherever you go because it works towards the venue it is used in.

That's just how it is.

@Dave. I agree there is more than just 4 basics. But everything is built off of those distance, height, repetition, plains (body/head) and so on.
    Also, guys have different ways of throwing those and different ways of generating power. Some guys twist and generate the power with the waist (Ali did this a lot), other guys plant and generate the power of the back leg through the ground and through the body (Larry Holmes did this kind of PG) and everything in between those.

It's all good if the guy doing it understands. You can get as much out of each as you want to work for.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

just practice more and spar using the techniques you know like the clf guys in the clip. and if you see a drill and a technique that you like, steal it for yourself.

this thread's getting stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    just practice more and spar using the techniques you know like the clf guys in the clip. and if you see a drill and a technique that you like, steal it for yourself.

this thread's getting stupid.
    getting,..... it started off on a very stange slant and just carried on

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    getting,..... it started off on a very stange slant and just carried on
    I think it would be a more productive thread if we reframed it into "is there anything we can learn or incorporate from western boxing to make TCMA better?"