Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: full contact wing chun

Everyone does sparring surely?

Do you practice WCK wooden Dummy?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Could you prove it? Could you share any clip?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Do you practice WCK wooden Dummy?
    I built my 1st WC dummy in Texas back in 1974. One day I found a telephone pole on the ground. I spent $500 to customer made my WC dummy. The head and chest had rubber covered. Both arms and leg had strong springs to connect to the body (telephone pole). It stood on a metal plate with a big spring when put against the wall. That $500 in 70th may worth $2000 today. Back then I only charged $30 a month for 3 hours class and 4 days a week.

One day when I fixed roof leak on top of my school roof, some one broke in my window. He kneed down in front of my wooden dummy as if he was worshiping some kind of god (My school was just 2 blocks away from the Austin mental hospital). He said, "I have always believed that I belong here". He soon was taken away by police.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-28-2013 at 08:33 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

You got some great stories John...
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

John,

Great dummy!

You still have it?

I built my 1st WC dummy in Texas back in 1974. One day I found a telephone pole on the ground. I spent $500 to customer made my WC dummy. The head and chest had rubber covered. Both arms and leg had strong springs to connect to the body (telephone pole). It stood on a metal plate with a big spring when put against the wall. That $500 in 70th may worth $2000 today. Back then I only charged $30 a month for 3 hours class and 4 days a week.

One day when I fixed roof leak on top of my school roof, some one broke in my window. He kneed down in front of my wooden dummy as if he was worshiping some kind of god (My school was just 2 blocks away from the Austin mental hospital). He said, "I have always believed that I belong here". He soon was taken away by police.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    John,

Great dummy!

You still have it?
    No, my Texas house doesn't have garage. I let it to stay outdoor under the Texas sun and rain. Finally, I gave it to someone from Dallas. If I still have it, I would put up a picture. It was a nice piece of work. The chest area was covered by fur and leather outside of the rubber.

The body was telephone pole -> rubber -> leather -> fur
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoux View Post
    Of course that is what the people who never spar full contact are going to say.
    I spar full contact with no protection. Were you implying that I don't?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    I spar full contact with no protection. Were you implying that I don't?
    yes he was, and so am I come to think of it
    feel free to post clips of the bare knuckle on protection fighting to prove us wrong though

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    Everyone does sparring surely?
    you would hope so, however its amazing that all those cameras that are around when the forms are being done, and the chi sao steering wheel is being turned get majically turned off when the sparring happens

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    yes he was, and so am I come to think of it
    feel free to post clips of the bare knuckle on protection fighting to prove us wrong though
    Likewise and BTW I don't have to prove anything to you or anybody for that fact! My door is always open if people want to come and check me out! Not in a gay way though as I'm sure Glenn would like

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    majically turned off when the sparring happens
    Not magically. Filming or uploading clips of sparring is "not allowed"...

Likewise and BTW I don't have to prove anything to you or anybody for that fact! My door is always open if people want to come and check me out! Not in a gay way though as I'm sure Glenn would like
    Im sure youve had many men come in your back door Graham!

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Not magically. Filming or uploading clips of sparring is "not allowed"...
    how convenient is that...and its amazing that all these bickering lineages can agree to that commandment isn't it when they can't agree on anything else
    ...christ what is this the 18th century people are happy to show forms applications chi so etc but think their spirit will be stolen if a clip of action sparring is put out there
    Last edited by Frost; 08-29-2013 at 02:16 AM.

so that's a no on the clip then

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Im sure youve had many men come in your back door Graham!
    Lost count years ago mate and they all leave with a smile on their face! lol