Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Punching into the thin air

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Right, and while you may not have been hitting things, your form was enough to outdo those who relied on brute force. Had you had a few years on the bag as well, you may have been kicking significantly harder.
    That's why I tell people to do both.

Though the blackbelts that were asking me didn't have just brute force. They were pretty skilled and had their own commercial schools and students and competed.

They thought I was BS'ing them when I told them I just kicked air.

I made sure they felt it though. I didn't want them going around saying that kung fu was flowery and weak.

They were pretty cool. They all would get excited and cheer when I sparred their blackbelts.

Later on, one of their students quit and came to train with me at the park instead. Not that I asked him to. I tried to discourage him. Kept telling him to think about and come back next week if he was serious. He kept coming back, and after three weeks I kind of had let him try the class.

We used to hit those carnival punching bag things that tell you how hard you hit. I had a friend who was pretty small and was always getting like a 3rd of what everyone else got. With like 5 minutes of explanation and demonstration on how to properly align a punch, he was outdoing guys bigger than him that were just forcing it. Not after practice, like right away. So of course practicing kicks in the air and developing good form is an asset, for sure.
    Form and relaxed coordinated body mechanics. Most beginners have more power than they can use effectively. More often, I'm struggling to get them to relax so they can deliver their power.

I always have to tell them, "You're supposed to be fighting the other guy. Not your own self." and, "Well, at least you are getting a lot of exercise struggling like that..."

Blog Entries
    Of course most of the time, the truth is in the middle. When something is bending toward one direction (90% of the TCMA people strike into the thin air. Only 10% of the TCMA people may train on the heavy bag), in order to straight it up, you have to bend it toward the other direction first (over emphasize heavy bag training).
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-03-2013 at 08:58 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Of course most of the time, the truth is in the middle. When something is bending toward one direction (90% of the TCMA people strike into the thin air. Only 10% of the TCMA people may train on the heavy bag), in order to straight it up, you have to bend it toward the other direction first (over emphasize heavy bag training).
    This is very true, and the principle of over-correcting can apply effectively to many aspects of training.

Word!

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    I always have to tell them, "You're supposed to be fighting the other guy. Not your own self." and, "Well, at least you are getting a lot of exercise struggling like that..."
    I always wondered at that quote that suggest a person is their own greatest opponent or whatever. That you can will yourself through anything. That's simply not always true.

Being pinned by a high level wrestler that is bigger than you, or being outclassed by a better striker isn't always about heart.

Anyways... equilibrium is your friend.

The fabulous aspect of bag work and striking air, is that you remain undefeated and you will be lord of all you survey. Lifting weights is overrated.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Blog Entries
    a person is their own greatest opponent ...
    I don't like that statement either. First, you will never have to fight against yourself. Second, even if "today's you" is better than "yesterday's you", if a 20 years old can still beat you up, the "today's you" is still very bad.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-03-2013 at 11:22 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I think time should be spent on all three aspects,

1) Conditioning of the body/weapon
    2) Air punching for proper form and delivery
    3) Striking an object to get feedback and make proper adjustments

rinse and repeat.

One thing I have noticed about people who ONLY do striking on a heavy bag is that sometimes they "push" their techniques because they want the movement that they get from a bag and don't understand it.

One thing I have noticed about people who ONLY do air striking, sometimes they don't have good distancing or minor misalignments that don't mean much in the air but are very obvious when hitting something.

I prefer to have students learn the proper form first and really ingrain that before hitting an object because EVERY TIME, I have had someone try to hit the pads without really having a strong base from air punching, their form goes out the window as they just try to "hit hard" and end up winding up and throwing a punch like a person with no training at all.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."