I enjoy watching you teach Dave and was bummed when i was in NYC last summer and wasn't able to drop in (wife had a ruptured disk - was veeerry slow going and needed help...).

Are you asking what we think about your interpretation of this movement as show in the clip (makes perfect sense), or are you asking in general what we think about multiple interpretations of a movement within a form? (which also makes sense some of the time).

I don't necessarily think that every move in a form is hidden. I DO think that things have become so obscured by people not understanding what they're doing that multiple interpretations are now par for the course.

honestly - I think people first trained with partners - just as we see in your clip. When they had no-one to train with they probably mimicked the movements in the air as best they could. Maybe someone at some stage thought this was the super important secret part of the training, passed down the importance of form (instead of partner work) and we have the misguided focus on forms work we see today.

Along the way, those students became teachers, their students started teaching, each person's ego demands they leave their own little contribution and voila - multiple interpretations, many of them ludicrous, especially when the teacher has never been in a fight.

Have you seen some of the 'single whip' interpretations out there?