Thread: I think Judo is going to overtake BJJ as the grappling art of choice for MMA

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    One of my guys has 15 years wrestling experience. Both his father and his brother are wrestling coaches. He had won the 2nd place region wrestling tournament. He didn't do very well in his 1st jacket throw tournament. IMO, if you don't train Gi environment, you won't be good in Gi environment.

Next time you have to fight your opponent in the street, will he have T-shirt on or winter jacket on? You will never know.
    I'm just looking at MMA - some of what Frost says is true on face value, but most Judoka now are interested in MMA - so there's a lot of no gi practice and a lot of people have brought in some of the holds and leg locks from jiu jitsu and Sambo to their clubs. So it's more well rounded than before. A good judo club will beat you and toughen you up. There's even newaza only tournaments that look like BJJ, except faster.

The rules changes meant that judoka had to be faster, more explosive, and more decisive - these are qualities that should do well in the modern MMA environment. I do think BJJ will always dominate submission grappling because that's what they do - but some of that stuff that's winning submission tourneys doesn't cross over into the MMA environment. For example, A lot of the leg submission hunters look like snakes spawning when they grapple each other - it's cool in it's own context, but there's so many opportunities for them to get their clocks rocked that to attempt to do it in MMA would be suicide.
    Last edited by MightyB; 01-20-2014 at 12:32 PM.