Thread: Bodhidharma

Threaded View

Research

You might find, The Northern School and the Formation of Early Ch’an Buddhism, by the Buddhist scholar, McRae helpful. McRae was also the author of: Seeing through Zen: Encounter, Transformation, and Genealogy in Chinese Chan Buddhism, as well as many important articles. In addition, he wrote one of the few English translations of the Vimalakirti Nirdesa Sutra for the Numata Center for Buddhist Translation and Research. McRae, who had previously taught at Cornell University and Indiana University, was serving as a lecturer at Komazawa University in Tokyo at the time of his death in 2011.

Although difficulty to find the monograph by renown Buddhist scholar, Dr. A.W. Barber titled: The Practice Lineage of Tathagatagarbha. it is interesting as well.
    (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tathāgatagarbha_Sūtra)

rik
    www.shaolinwushu.com

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    Since Shaolin is the basis for many styles taught today, I've kind of developed an interest in who he was and what he taught (MA/Chan). A friend of mine sent me the following books which I think you all would like.

"The Bodhidharma Anthology - The Earliest Records of Zen" - Jefferey L. Broughton
    ISBN 0-52-021972-4.

This is a translation of one of the 100's of scrolls found from the Tang dynasty that were found hidden in the Mo-Kao Grottoes of Northwest China in the town of Tun Huang.

"Zen Buddhism: A History" Heinrich Dumoulin
    ISBN 0-02-908260-9

A two volume set (India & CHina) & (Japan & Tibet). Good overall information on Buddhism and Bodhidharma.

"Daruma: The Founder of Zen in Japanese Art and Popular Culture" - H. Neill McFarland
    ISBN 0-87011-817-X

Starndard Biography but has alot of Statues, Paintings which are quite unique. Especially the one of him in a "House of Pleasure". P24/

Do any of you have any additional books you would recommend?

eric Hargrove
    ngokfei@juno.com
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 03-02-2014 at 09:45 PM. Reason: typo