Thread: Best Wing Chun KO in MMA - Iron Wolves Fighter Chu Sau Lei Wing Chun

Threaded View

Though it may appear to some that this is not Wing Chun simply because it doesn't look like the stereotypical version of what many think Wing Chun is, doesn't mean it isn't. Wing Chun is way more than form, it's theory.

Dave, look at what you just wrote. "Wing Chun is way more than form, it's theory." Buy your own comment form is still included and is important. If the form deviates too much, how can it still be Wing Chun? Take Cho Gar for example. They say they are doing the Choy Li Fut portion with more Wing Chun concepts. Does that make it Wing Chun? Is everything they do Wing Chun, or only the Yik Kam SLT part?

If Alan Orr says that what they train is Wing Chun, why can't it be believed? Is it because it doesn't fit ones preconcieved ideology or is it something deeper seated within ones own predjudices?

I'm not prejudiced, I'm a pragmatist. Be honest Dave. If Wing Chun wasn't noted in the tag line and you didn't know Josh was Alan's student, would you have immediately thought this was an example of Wing Chun? Look at the sparring clip Alan posted. If you didn't see Wing Chun in the tag line and know these were Alan's students would you have immediately thought they were doing Wing Chun? CSL Chinese Boxing I think applies! But "straight up" Wing Chun?

You have to look beyond "form" and ask yourself are the principles present.

You find many of Wing Chun's priniciples in Jeet Kune Do. Does that make JKD a style of Wing Chun?

For the individuals that say it wasn't solely Wing Chun, I'll agree, I personally didn't see anything different "form" wise from standard MMA. This doesn't mean that Wing Chun wasn't a vital part

I agree! But Wing Chun is a vital part of JKD for Ted Wong's students. Does that make Ted Wong's JKD a version of Wing Chun?

Bottom line for me is that form and substance count. I can and have taken a lot of Wing Chun concepts and put it into the Panantukan I have learned and can make it work very well. But that doesn't convert my Panantukan into Wing Chun. Rather its Panantukan with some help from Wing Chun concepts.
    Last edited by KPM; 04-17-2014 at 07:11 PM.