Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
For me, solo pole training and MYJ have their place in development. They aren't just second choices.

In my first post I linked to a video of what I find to be more useful solo training for the pole. For solo training, I think power and accuracy should be the focus.

What they try to reproduce with this pole dummy just doesn't do it. It's best to leave that type of thing for when you have a partner who can actually hold their pole firmly and move it and/or themselves around.
Good points.

Just in addition you mention power and accuracy being the focus? What part of learning how to hit a stationary object does not help build your power and accuracy? Like using the wooden man as an example here, we were probably all taught ideas like "remember, this is a dummy! It's dead and doesn't move!! So you must put in extra work" and I see this Pole Dummy no differently. It can be used to build your confidence slowly before moving onto live interactive drills with a partner/s simply because it doesn't move. The more skilled drills you shared are all part of this progression too.

A boxers heavy bag doesn't move like a person either, nor does their speed ball, but should we discount the benefits it has on the overall development of the boxer?

Ultimately I think all the solo training with apparatus like this is designed to prepare the student for 'impact' and to build your level of applying and receiving such impact. A key to developing your Art prior to any attempt to use it all for real...