Quote Originally Posted by Neil-Y View Post
I was ignorant, convincing myself it worked. I'd try sparring and it looked like a car crash so I would avoid it sticking to pre arranged drills and applications were it looked nice and clean. Maybe saying it was 'useless' was an overstatement for dramatic effect! I was trained to some degree and against certain 'untrained' people I might have been able to do OK. The only way I can compare is if that I was fighting myself what I know now compared to last year (i.e same height, weight, attitude, emotional state) there would be no competition. I now have a fighting strategy, better physical behaviors, an improved elbow position, footwork, balance, timing.

It's difficult to know your on the bad path if your not exposed to anything better or if you are then you don't have the courage to accept it. Fortunately social media has helped people see the truth. I saw Philipps stuff on you tube and thought he is applying his VT against some very handy guys. Not prearranged moves but in Gwoh Sau and sparring.

When I take my car for it's MOT I always get told that there are problems and the brakes need fixing something else and it's going to set me back a small fortune. But I have to take their word for it even though some of it maybe BS. Same with VT if you don't know the truth you tend to stick with what you have.
You owe me 5 grand!