Anderson Silva: "I have not taken any performance enhancing drugs"
Damon Martin
FOX Sports
FEB 04, 2015 6:26p ET

Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images / Getty Images North America

Anderson Silva broke his silence in a statement released on Wednesday

Anderson Silva has broken his silence in a prepared statement released to the media on Wednesday, just a day after the Nevada State Athletic Commission released test results that showed the former UFC middleweight champion tested positive for two different performance enhancing drugs.
Silva had never tested positive for any drugs during any phase of his career before now, but the test results showed the 39-year old Brazilian was positive for both Drostanolone and Androstane, two different kinds of steroids.
Silva released a statement through his manager Ed Soares denying any wrongdoing.
"I've been competing in this sport for a very long time. This is my nineteenth fight in the UFC. I have been thoroughly tested many times and have never had a positive drug test," Silva said.
"I have not taken any performance enhancing drugs. My stance on drugs is, and will always be, the same. I'm an advocate for a clean sport."
The testing was done by the Sports Medicine Research and Testing Laboratory, a World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) accredited lab.
Silva says that he will continue to fight the charges made against him, but will make no further public statement following the one released on Wednesday.
"I'm consulting with my advisors right now to explore all of my options and intend to fight this allegation and clear my name," Silva said. "I will not make any further comments until my team advises me to do so."
Nevada State Athletic Commission chairman Francisco Aguilar spoke to FOX Sports on Wednesday confirming that the governing body will address Silva's test in their next meeting on Feb. 17 where a temporary suspension will likely be handed down. From there, Silva has the right to request a second test on the 'B' sample collected during the initial collection on Jan. 9.
Silva will be responsible to pay for the additional testing if it's requested.
Following the initial meeting in February, the commission will then work to schedule a time for the full disciplinary hearing where Silva will be allowed to present his case. The hearing will likely be held in March although Aguilar stated that the commission will work with Silva and his team to make sure the timing is convenient for everybody involved.
Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
As for marijuana, people laugh at this because they don't understand the value of marijuana in the fight game.
Think about it.
While the obvious side effects that are detrimental are clear, some forget that for grapplers, the relaxed and mellow state where things appear to slow down, is very beneficial for them.
Not to mention the pain aspect. Marijuana is know for decrease the perception of pain.
I don't think that MJ can be viewed as a PED per say, no more than cocaine or PCP for example BUT put it this way:
If it doesn't have a benefit, why do it?
Fighters have short memories, just like potheads. Remember Bruce Lee? How about Michael Phelps? Both potheads.