It must suck to be a Chinese tourist traveling outside of China. All your souvenirs are probably made in China.

Hangzhou man splurges on toilet seat in Japan only to find out it's...made in Hangzhou

Over the Spring Festival holiday, it's estimated that as many as 450,000 Chinese tourists visited Japan to fork out a total of six billion yuan on products. Among these products were Japanese toilet seats, which, as we've reported before, are being snapped up in bulk by tourists from the Middle Kingdom seeking a "superior" porcelain bowl experience.

One Chinese resident identified by his surname Wang was one of these tourists. According to a Weibo post from Sina News, Wang hopped over to Japan from his hometown of Hangzhou during the Lunar New Year holiday to purchase a new toilet seat for an unknown amount, only to later realize that it was made in China. Actually, it was made in Hangzhou.

"After having come this far, I can't believe I bought something that was actually manufactured right at my doorstep. Have I become a manual laborer moving these toilets or what," he questioned.

Online, netizens have joked that it was actually the toilets that've gone to Japan for holiday.

Unfortunately, however, it's not just toilet seats posing under a superior brand. Another post tells of a sorry soul from China who picked up some hitomebore rice, a high-end Japanese rice grain, during his holiday in Japan for a grand 150 RMB a pound, only to discover that the rice was grown in Liaoning province, where it retails for around six to 15 yuan per pound.

[Image via Flickr]
Contact the author of this article or email tips@shanghaiist.com with further questions, comments or tips.
By Katie Nelson in News on Mar 2, 2015 12:30 PM