Thread: Tendonitus

Tendonitus

Anyone know a good way to get rid of it? Ice works alright, but I weight train alot now, and have it at a frequent rate.
    'i have a new found respect for crowbars now'

pause

'atleast it wasn't about sex'

I had it during my judo days. Rest is the best medicine if you ask me... the more you irritate it, the more it will hurt, and the more risk you run of making it more serious.

Ryu
    "No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

Rest, Rest and more Rest.

Tendons take quiet some time to heal, and how you treat them during the healing process determines how much usage you will get back from them.

And lay off the ice, it can do more damage than good.

Ice is only good in the first 24 hours. After that, it's heat and rest - and lots of it.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Unhappy STOP RIGHT NOW!

Tendonitis is BAAAAD SH!T.

The only cure is way too much rest followed by a very slow reintroduction into the activity. I sh!t you not.

I spent several years as a competitive sport climber and dealt with medial epicondilytis- a kind of tennis elbow. I was out for almost 9 months. I can still feel something hinky after a coupla years.

Tendonitis is inflammation caused by microtrauma (lots of little tears) from overtraining. If you keep it up you risk serious injury like muscle detachment. A famous climber had one of his biceps roll up like a window shade. Surgery was mandatory.

During my rest I took lots of glucosamine sulfate and chondroiton. Depending on what you read/hear this stuff is either the best stuff out there or total ****. Your typical battle of the supplements. In my opinion it helped. Placebo? Who knows.

Find a doctor you can talk to if you don't have insurance. Stick to sports medicine guys if possible, cause a lotta GP types just confuse the issue by not understanding the nature of hard training.

Maybe its time to start Taiji.
    Stupidity - the number one sexually transmitted disease.

Respectmankind.

You didn't mention which Body part was affected. Just curious, as often the affected Body parts get strapped up.

A friend had his arm for 4 months strapped and in a sling.

My Wife had it on the underside of one Heel from excessive aerobics.
    2 Weeks lying down, Crutches and daily Arnica Oil treatment, plus special shoes.

She now does Taiji instead of Areobic.

It could be caused by either:
    1.) Using too heavy weights.
    2.) Wrong execution of movements
    3.) Not enough rest Periods for your Body between training(both weight and non-weight).
    4.) Incorrect warmup/cool down
    5.) Not enough stretching.
    6.) Quick temperature changes during workout.

Hope it works out for you. That is one of the nastiest types of injuries you can get.

All the best.
    Last edited by red_fists; 02-21-2002 at 11:06 PM.

It is in my forearm. The tendons running along the upper part. I have had them so inflamed I could flex and watch an outline of them on my skin, which i hard to see because I am so white. Lack of pigment=less detail.

pause

Originally posted by respectmankind
    It is in my forearm. The tendons running along the upper part. I have had them so inflamed I could flex and watch an outline of them on my skin, which i hard to see because I am so white. Lack of pigment=less detail.
    If my Biology lessons serve me right those are your finger tendons, used for gripping.

Nasty.

As was mentioned go and see a good Doctor, most prolly you will have to lay of training totally for a few months.

NOO! My Arnold arms must rest? Oh well. I guess being my size is a stress at my age. Maybe I will slide more toward speed training for my boxing.

pause

I screwed up the tendons in my forearm and they are just now getting back to normal about 2 months later. I damaged the tendon(s)s on the pinky side of my forearm. I was getting popping and clicking sounds when I moved my hand in certain ways and pretty severe pain depending on what I was doing for example bicep curls with a bar absolutely killed, but I could still do hammer curls with no problem.

I kept training. Anything that hurt or irritated my wrist, I simply just did not do. I don't think you need to stop training completly, but you do need to be careful or it will never heal correctly.

Respectmankind.

A sincere word of advise:

"Don't underestimate tendonities".

From your profile it appears that you are still fairly young.
    Tendonities doesn't care if you are 15 or 50.

Even HHH took a 8 month sabbatical from Wrestling, and he has access to some of he best Doctors and trainers.

i will take the advice and follow it. although i will i no way stop training, i wish to keep my size, but i will change what i am doing.

pause

Staff training, done properly, worked for me.

Keep it up, and you may have to quit training for good. Let it heal.
    Size doesn't vanish immediately, and you may even get bigger and be stronger after a short layoff.