Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pull ups

Pushups are mechanically similar to a decline bench press, which does target the lats somewhat, especially if you squeeze them. Also, the pectorals are slighty engaged in pullups, too.

If you try Hindu pushups, these work the lats even more.

I think they're described on www.dragondoor.com

They remove the hip flexors from picking you up. Standard situp position, have someone pull into your calves and you pull against it and down into the ground. Then sit up! Roll the back off of the floor slowly and lower slowly.

I was thinking just the other day about how to do these without a partner and this is what I came up with. Take two cinder blocks (or equivalent) and place next to a doorway. Place a broomstick across the top and use that for your calves to pull against. Hint* pick a time when traffic isn't busy.

I welded my own setup for this but know most people can't. So what do you think? Got a better idea?

Best description I know of is on Clarence Bass' site. Find the article called "the hardest situp."

I don't do much abdominal work but one thing I find helps is to hold the up position of a pushup. The effect is kind of like a static hold, you have to tighten up the inner abs.

Once you get better at pullups you can start doing pikes. They take some abdominal strength, can be brutally hard, and involve just about everything from the hips up.
    Last edited by abobo; 04-23-2003 at 07:02 PM.

Re: Pull ups

Originally posted by madlock
    Hello everyone.

My case is pretty simple: I can't do a single proper pull up or a chin up. What kind of excercises do you folks think would be most efficient for strengthening the muscles used in pull ups? Would at-home training with dumbells be enough or should I hit the gym? I'd appreciate input - very much looking forward to doing my first correct pull up :P
    Hi madlock, welcome to KFO.

I'm surprised no one has asked yet; how much do you weigh?

How close to doing one pullup can you get?

How old are you?

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Thanks for the description, I'll be trying those. Will let you know if I come up with a different way to do it Cyborg.

Hello IronFist.
    I am 185cm/75kg, which should be about... 6 feet / 165lbs. So the problem shouldn't be my weight, just a weak upper body.
    The most difficult part is getting my elbows to bend when starting from the hang position. If I start with my elbows bent slightly I can do a painful couple, without going all the way down of course. Yah and I'm 19 years old. By all means add a diagnosis of your own

Well, assuming you have no medical condition that prevents you from using your muscles when your arm is straight, it is much better to do full reps (go from all the way down (straight arms) to all the way up). Trust me, you will be much better in the long run if you do them this way.

Besides, the guys at the gym who are doing pullups but only going down half way suck, and then you will be able to make fun of them

Some of the people here have given good advice. I was never unable to do pullups so I don't have any personal advice.

Good luck.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Here are a couple of doorway chin up bars that let you get a wider grip than the usual doorway types.

http://www.megafitness.com/doorway-c...76&PID=1264782
    http://www.need2bfit.com/cgi-bin/cat...b34&type=store
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Smile

Those look great. Affordable also.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

Most pull ups in one minute - Head to Head

I always sucked at pull ups. I was good with push ups back in the day, but not anymore.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

My favorite Ninja Warrior cranking them out and making it look easy.
    https://www.facebook.com/JESSIEgraff...2053191185765/